PDA

View Full Version : Modeling

[BR]TADŽ
12-26-2003, 02:18 AM
Hi

What is the best program for beginners start in modeling ???

Thanks

Herbal_Ice
12-27-2003, 09:28 PM
well wings3d is a good program to learn polygon "box" modeling from ..

its free and small in size .. and the tools/features are really nice wish maya had some of them :)

www.wings3d.com i think the adress is ..

[BR]TADŽ
12-28-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Herbal_Ice
well wings3d is a good program to learn polygon "box" modeling from ..

its free and small in size .. and the tools/features are really nice wish maya had some of them :)

www.wings3d.com i think the adress is ..

Thanks

thumbsup:

I will try it !!!:

carl_00
01-02-2004, 12:16 AM
you could also get the PLE for maya and 3d max although i think max is only a 30 day demo but dont quote me on that.

also if your new to 3d applications go to www.3dbuzz.com there are some excellent free video tutorials:buttrock:

[BR]TADŽ
01-02-2004, 12:27 AM
I am new with 3D Applications and I am trying to learn by myself ...

I have Maya 5, 3D Studio Max 5 and Lightwave 7.5

Which of them is more easily to start learning ???

stewartjones
01-07-2004, 12:59 AM
I found that Lightwave was the easiest to get on with, but I definately prefer max. I cant comment on Maya, I have the PLE version, but havent got round to installing it yet.

They all have the same principals, so it really is up to yourself! Have a look around the net, as there are plenty of tutorials for them, and they should help you get on a lot!

flingster
01-08-2004, 09:22 PM
i would try wings first off.
then also try a demo of cinema 4d.:shrug:

LucentDreams
01-08-2004, 09:49 PM
While trying the demos of the other larger apps is always a good idea, I"d recommend sticking with an app like wings right now, no investment risk, has the standard tools of other 3D poly modeling apps (though its works slightly different then some) Its easy to learn as there no other junk in your way. All these make it an ideal learning tool.

Zack
01-09-2004, 07:34 AM
I have Maya 5, 3D Studio Max 5 and Lightwave 7.5
Demos, I assume? Who could ever afford all three? I use wings3d some and I find it a great way to both learn to model and model period. The interface w/out being condescending is very user friendly and easy to learn. I tried blender but found that some of the basic (and neccesarry) tools that are just a right click away in Wings are near impossible to find in blender. Between those 3 I'd learn whichever one you are most comfortable with, interface wise and otherwise. I was once told that learning to animate (or model in this case) is hard, learning software is easy, and that you should learn on any package you want.

LucentDreams
01-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Easy Zero, lets not make accusations, fair or unfair, no one knows where people work what they do or what software is available (or was) I myself have legal versions of Mirai, Cinema 4D, StudioMax 6 and motionbuilder, and clay (thats just the 3D apps) and Paid under 1000 USD out of my OWN pockets for that software. Some peoples proffesions provide software, some people are lucky to test software, some simply had access to them in a job or training that they had, Heck Toonboom and creativer cow through software at me to help in moderating a forum for their tooonboom studio, I'd never even used it before I just happened to be a young whizkid with Toonbooms highend application. He might have gone to different schools that cover those packages, If you study at Vancouver film school you are guaranteed to use two if not three of the top five apps (smax then xsi, and possibly maya depending on what you specialize in)

actarusprocyon
01-09-2004, 01:46 PM
-I myself have legal versions of Mirai,

arghhhh! ;)

Yes,wings is a wise choice but also go for the free XSI Exp.

The only disadvantage I had learning box modeling with wings is that I still can't do it any faster in another application and terribly miss the virtual mirror.

[BR]TADŽ
01-10-2004, 02:40 AM
Hi

Lets finihed this off topic conversation about programs licence ...

Each person takes his own responsabilities of how he get his stuff (aplications and licences) like if the program is legal or ilegal or demos or trials or shareware or freewares ... Its doesnt matter.

May be too many people here in this forum said that has own legal programs, but we know that we can find anything we want for freely in the internet (we dont want to discuss where to get it) ...

So, I only believe in people that works in educational areas or business areas has legals stuffs ...

Its like in Collaborative Team Projects section ... How people are making Half Life 2 modifications, if Valve dont distributed the SDK for the game and the game remain in production ??? But we know that some peoples stoled the source code and distributed it ... So how people get in the internet the source code for making mods, its not our problem ...

So guys, lets go back to the main subject of this topic ...

:thumbsup:

Ibox
01-10-2004, 04:10 AM
haha, I have to agree with actarusprocyon in that believe it or not, once you have learned the curve in Wings3D it is very hard to utilize any other set of box modeling tools... ... yea, test drive Wings3d and learn to build those boxy models... you really can't go wrong... with Wings ya don't have to worry at all who thinks what because everybody knows it's free... don't let the sparse looking Gui fool ya, this app rocks...

also, bits of advice I could give one who has never tried Wings3D before is...

first off, before creating anything go up into Edit>preferences and make sure that "smart highlighting" is checked ...

next, place your cursor anywhere in the work space and right click to choose a primitive... ( this one was perhaps the most confusing of all when I opened Wings3D for the very first time... where the heck is the primitives I asked myself? :D )

once you have chosen say a cube, click on any face and it should become red to indicate it has been selected... now right click and you will get a different menu showing all of your operation choices... for move, extrude, scale etc...

if you click your middle mouse button and move your mouse around you will notice you are rotating in 3D... this is your dolly cam used to get you around for viewing in perspective, your next potential area to work on... scroll your mmb and you will zoom in and out...

select any v/e/f on one side of you model and hit "a" and this will aim your camera towards that particular area, select one on eah side and this will center your aim of view with the cam

the little pyramid icons are to select vert mode/edge mode/face mode and body mode, or simply hit "v" "e" "f" or "b" to do same... the right click operation menu's will change some according to the mode you have chosen...

and last but not least... let's say you have popped a cube into the work space, selected a face, right clicked and chosen say extrude>normal... move your mouse to sideways very slowly as in apposed to quickly... you will now see things extruding slowly... many move the mouse too quick and things really fly out and many get panicked and simply close the app figuring they will never get it... make you moves slow and easy at first is what I am saying here...

a tip for the use of your axis... extrude out along say z for front to back, x for side to side, and of course Y is up and down after you have done this a few times you will automatically remember which axis is for what direction...

and ok, finally, should you have any further questions ( and you will/should ) don't hesitate to visit the Wings3D forum here at CGT... great bunch of folks who will be happy to answer any further questions...

play around with the app, happy creat'n, and... welcome to the wonderful world of box modeling :)

CLONEOPS
01-21-2004, 12:07 AM
GET rhino3d you put in a 1million mesh model
anD IT GOES SWOOSH
NO REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY..
RHINO3D OKAY-TO start with its just easy easier easest to use to MODEL..NOT RENDER....TO MODEL...
look at some- one model something whike they do it/or look at a gnomon tutorial and see on the
video and see that it takes 14-20 menu steps to frikkin make
a sphere,size it bend it and boolean it... well almost.
rhino in 4-5 steps...

Jb5k1
01-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by CLONEOPS
GET rhino3d you put in a 1million mesh model
anD IT GOES SWOOSH
NO REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY..
RHINO3D OKAY-TO start with its just easy easier easest to use to MODEL..NOT RENDER....TO MODEL...
look at some- one model something whike they do it/or look at a gnomon tutorial and see on the
video and see that it takes 14-20 menu steps to frikkin make
a sphere,size it bend it and boolean it... well almost.
rhino in 4-5 steps...

dont use drugs son....

[BR]TADŽ
01-23-2004, 01:05 AM
Hi

I have another questions,

- What is the main difference between Gmax and 3D Studio Max ???

- Anyone has a good tutorial for Gmax ???

Thanks

Jb5k1
01-23-2004, 01:14 AM
I believe the main differences are that in gmax, alot of things in 3ds aren't available... rigging, animation ( maybe?) and junk

Its the same as far as modeling goes, but I dont like the way that discreets programs work so, i dunno

I dont reccommend either...

DazP
01-23-2004, 08:32 PM
You *can* certainly rig and animate in GMax. That was the whole point of its conception. It was aimed at people wanting to learn 3ds and the vast numbers of people modding games such as Quake with a view to cutting down on the huge amount of illegal pirating of Max going on.

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

Theres no renderer and it's missing more advanced features of Max such as dynamics.

Jb5k1
01-23-2004, 09:47 PM
heh, yea i meant rendering isn't available, not rigging, but i was thinking of animation and i typed up rigging....

lol sorry

[BR]TADŽ
01-26-2004, 01:08 AM
Hi

Which one, between Wings 3D and Blender 3D, is more easily to start ???

I tried with Wings 3D, but I didnt found any good tutorial ...

flingster
01-26-2004, 01:31 AM
this is modelling you asked about -
wings.
free and totally impressive.
take a look in the wings forum on cgtalk

SpeccySteve
01-26-2004, 08:37 PM
I take it you got round to trying Wings out then Flingster?

How are you finding it so far?

flingster
01-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by SpeccySteve
I take it you got round to trying Wings out then Flingster?

How are you finding it so far?

hell yeah...what have i got to loose...heh heh.
actually finding it pretty cool...should improve my box modelling no end...in c4d i've spent most of my time laying out poly by poly (organic stuff mainly)...making me approach things differently...i've only had it on my system now for about 5 days so not comfortable with it and its gui...but realistically there is no limitation on what you can do with it if you got talent..as with most software nowadays...patience...and skill will get you v far....i just need an instant skill button..heh heh...
i was debating on silo and wings for awhile actually...and well wings won because i heard someone mention silo was more maya gui like so put me off...might have been misinformation but hey...also i thought to myself...if i like it...i'm just gonna have to fork out some more bucks on software i don't really need...when i could save that money and put it to a c4d plug! heh heh.
funnily enough and OT i downloaded terragen at same time..but got so carried away in wings...never even loaded terragen on yet!

i really need to spend more time exploring it...so keep dropping in when i get a spare 5 mins to check it out.

about a year ago...its a pity i hadn't heard about wings then really...but hey...live and learn i guess. as it is i got c4d and mesh surgery so modelling has improved no end...but i set myself a challenge this year..improve my c4d skill set...but open my mind to the rest of the world...so here i am...
i can't understand why mags like digit, 3dworld, computer arts don't bang on about this little program...cos imho its the best way for any beginner to get into modelling... :bowdown:

SpeccySteve
01-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Glad you gave it a go, nice combo with Cinema I thought.

Originally posted by flingster
but realistically there is no limitation on what you can do with it if you got talent..as with most software nowadays...patience...and skill will get you v far....i just need an instant skill button..heh heh...

If you find an instant skill button do let me know, I could really use one.

funnily enough and OT i downloaded terragen at same time..but got so carried away in wings...never even loaded terragen on yet!

Terragen is cool fun. I don't really mind if it's a "proper" app, it's sometimes just relaxing to doodle in something without thinking "aaagh edgeloops!!1!"

as it is i got c4d and mesh surgery so modelling has improved no end...but i set myself a challenge this year..improve my c4d skill set...but open my mind to the rest of the world...so here i am...

Couldn't get my head round C4D's model tools myself although mesh surgery looks great. I think it's because I'm on CE and the camera controls don't really suit me.

i can't understand why mags like digit, 3dworld, computer arts don't bang on about this little program...cos imho its the best way for any beginner to get into modelling...

Wings doesn't do anything that looks uber-cool on a magazine page I guess.

[BR]TADŽ
01-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Hi

I tried 3D Studio Max, Maya, Lightwave, Gmax, Wings 3D and Blender ... But I couldnt make anything ...

:cry: :cry:

I need a step by step tutorial ...

:cry:

Jb5k1
01-27-2004, 11:36 PM
i could help u if we chatted on icq or aim

I've done it b4

pnoland
01-28-2004, 01:37 AM
I feel ya, man...I tried a lot of different programs before I finally found one or two of my liking. Right now I'm using SILO for modeling then I usually switch between Cinema 4d CE and Blender/Yafray for rendering. Wings is an impressive modeling application but you might also want to give Silo a look. Unlike Wings, it can be used for either box modeling or poly by poly modeling. Compared to most high end modeling tools (Well, I should say from what I've used...maya ple, Gmax, Lightwave DE, Amorphium3) Silo has the same if not better tool sets. It supports N-Gons which basically lets you have any number of edges for a single face without any subdivision problems.

It took me some time before I finally got the swing of basic modeling skills. My advice is to pick up some good books on various modeling styles. I found that really it doesn't matter if the book is software specific because the principle is the same program to program. The books I found helped me the most were: Building a digital human by Ken Brilliant, Inspired 3D Modeling and texturing, Maya 4.5 Saavy. After you've read through some books and understand what a lot of the terms mean and what the tools can do it's a lot easier to start modeling.

SILO:
NeverCenter.com ($109) (http://www.nevercenter.com)

Blender:
Blender3d.com(Free!) (http://www.blender3d.com)
Elysiun.com (Blender community site!) (http://www.elysiun.com)

Here are a few tutorials that I found helpfull:

Orc Head (Lightwave but applicable elsewhere) (http://www.0nd.org/eng/tutorials/orc_modeling/blueprint_setting_1.htm)

Fun car tutorial (not realistic but cool) (http://www.3dm-mc.com/tutorials/car2/)

Joan of Arc tutorial (VERY good tutorial!) (http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp#)

Hope these help!

Jb5k1
02-02-2004, 02:37 AM
I've just seen this reply in my mailbox, and I have to say, yes, SILO is a very good choice. The layout is kinda awkward, having a little menu on the side, but I downloaded a new menu layout, all the pages in 1, and it's very easy to use... I found it right on the SILO forums.

Anyway, the shorcuts for SILO are great also. All transforming tools are from like q-t on the keyboard, the object selections are a-g or whatever. Very simple.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.