PDA

View Full Version : Is Shake GUI really that slow?

A_Manz
12-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Hi,

at my University I was looking forward to try out Shake 2.5 on Windows that last day befor christmas just to have a look at it and get exited over the next 2 weeks christmas break. BUT
the GUI was terrible slow. If I drag a slider you could actually see the lines rebuild. Well I don't think thats the real speed, but what is going wrong here. I asked the Prof about it but he was kind of it has been that forever so why change.
Well maybe some of you know a tipp.

so merry x-mas to all of you

axel

beaker
12-26-2003, 07:51 PM
The shake gui is very fast, but it rely's on opengl in order to draw it. So if you have a card with poor opengl drivers(matrox or older ati cards) then the gui will draw slow. What are the machine specs on the computers you have at school?

A_Manz
12-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure about the specs. I just know that they have about 1 Gig RAM and I think about 2 GHz but I don't know which card. But Maya and 3d Max run pretty smooth in opengl mode. I will check the card when I'm back at school.

Thank you for the hint

Axel

dg
12-27-2003, 01:05 AM
Yeah Shake GUI is very OpenGL dependent, and I got to say that it sux in this aspect, because it doesn't have anything that special to require OpenGL so much, but in top notch graphical boards it runs ok, try one of those endorsed by Apple.

See ya!

FKMaster
12-27-2003, 02:34 AM
i know the problem....check your harddisk......i think your harddisk is full......
shake creates in the default "temp" a "shake"-folder ....there must be a lot of free diskspace.......

andre_alder
12-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Hi friends,

Has anyone of you (Beaker???) used Nuke 4.1?
Is better and faster than Shake?
Any opinion and comments?

Thanx
AD

AlanW
12-29-2003, 07:53 PM
I use Shake on Windows and OSX, and it is suprising how good the open gl performance is on my powerbook compared to my workstation. However, you can make Shake perform better in Windows by getting certified drivers for your video card. I use a Quadro4 980 xgl and a Wildcat III 6110, and they both have certified drivers for Shake. In my case 3d labs was nice enough to send me the older drivers that Nothing Real certified, and Nvidia has their certified Shake drivers on their website. In my case, the Wildcat performs much better than the Quadro4 with Shake.

I'm still not sure why my ATI radeon with 16mb ram performs good on my Powerbook. I assume it's a platform issue instead of a hardware issue.

Edit: my mistake, nvidia doesn't have drivers for shake.

-my 2 cent

chicolima
12-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Here's the link to the Digital Domains Nuke software website:

http://nuke.throb.net

There are movies that show some of Nuke's workflow as well as tips, forums, etc..etc...

Nuke is a really powerful VFX/Compositing Solutions. It's node based, it has a Scanline renderer, Primatte keyer is bundled with it as well as the Framecycler Professinal that allow you to playback 2k files from RAM using with LUTs.

It is node based but is also offers a 3D Compositing Module that has a 3D Camera, lights, etc...etc...and is able to import 3D geometry and 3D Tracking as well.

Best Regards,

arvid
12-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by A_Manz
Well maybe some of you know a tipp.

Add a environment variable to your system named:
NR_OPENGL_RENDER
with the value 1, also try a value of 0 and see which works best for your card. It's all in the manual.

A_Manz
12-30-2003, 11:27 AM
Hello opacity,

thanks for the tip. Setting environment vars helped in a lot of other apps I will give it a try next week. Maybe the did not read the manual and just hit install, wouldn't be a big surprise to me.

Axel

andre_alder
12-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Hi Chico,

Thanx :beer:

Well, I think there is not many studios or Fx Houses working with Nuke today. Shake is more used now.
But Nuke looks better than Shake, what do you think about this?

AD

beaker
12-31-2003, 10:06 PM
Please keep this thread on topic. Start a new thread if you want to talk about nuke.

beaker
12-31-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by diogo girondi
Yeah Shake GUI is very OpenGL dependent, and I got to say that it sux in this aspect, because it doesn't have anything that special to require OpenGL so much, but in top notch graphical boards it runs ok, try one of those endorsed by Apple.

See ya!
Yes it does. The whole gui is opengl accelerated. It draws all the windows on flat polygons. Windows are essentially texture mapped on them. It is the same way many other apps(Nuke for example) work to speed up the gui by relying on the video card instead of the processor to draw the gui. Also this is the same way that osx accelerates it's gui with Quartz Extreme(Expose, user switching, etc...). Longhorn is going to use this same method for adding more eyecandy with less slowdown.

dg
12-31-2003, 11:59 PM
Great to know that Beaker, I just hope that Longhorn doesn't need daily service packs like win XP...hehehe, but I know about the optimization stuff, I think I've expressed my self badly in my last post, I just think that Shake GUI behaves ten times better in Mac's with less powerful graphics boards, so maybe that is a sign of bad OGL usage, implementation or something, in my tests was something very sutil, nothing that drived me insane but you can feel a slower reaction when you scroll the parameters with middle mouse button in comparsion to Mac's running the same app with inferior boards. Anyway I've just made some tests with Shake, along the years since it was from Nothing Real, I'm not a Shake user for now, maybe in a near future who knows :D

Great to talk to you all, hava a Happy New Year!!!

Slow down on the nodes in this eve this way we all meet again in 2004...hehehe!

Take care, have a awesome new year eve
Bye!

A_Manz
01-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi,

have been to the computer lab today and gues what its an Nvidia board and the variable was not set. So I set it to one and now shake runs as expected - thanks to all of you.

Happy new year
Axel

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.