PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Binding question...

Levitateme
12-24-2003, 06:58 PM
I will try and keep this simple. i almost always bind using smooth bind. cause im never building robots to much or anything. if i start painting the weights on the feet for exampe. i will paint the weights on the ball joint, my first joint and i will toggle hold weights on there. so that means no other weights should be on there right? but when im almost done with my model i move a spine and all the sudden itsmoving the compnents on my foot. that makes 0 sense to me because i painted the weights my self. and i flood the model with a value of 0 on everyjoint before i start painting. any help on how i can get around this would be more than apprecited.

nottoshabi
12-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Try floding the Root with one and then paint the weights were you need...

:bounce:

Levitateme
12-26-2003, 02:06 AM
ah, so then that way no matter what i paint for values anywere else. the remaining values will be on the root right? i hope that works better than what i did. this time my model was not near as much work. but i really like that idea.

verbal007
12-26-2003, 02:10 AM
Also, make sure you're verifying all this within the component editor... in case you're not.

- Jeremy

martinw
01-02-2004, 04:29 AM
Also don't forget to remove unused influences to speed up interactivity after the weights are all assigned:

Skin->Edit Smooth Skin->Remove Unused Influences

alesmav
01-02-2004, 01:59 PM
In my opinion using Sets and then binding using Selected joints is the best way to solve your problem. This way you avoid the mess with leg joints affecting the head vertices for example, plus all deformations evaluate faster. And use Set membership.....

ALES

Levitateme
01-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Using sets??? can someone just give me the jist of what that is?

alesmav
01-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Yes, Sets are often overlooked in Maya... You can put components of you objects like faces, vertices... in Sets and then bind those sets to joints as you would a piece of geometry. And even better... you can put vertices of different objects in one Set and then manipulate that set as a separate object.

For example... You have a one piece shirt geometry on your character. You can put sleeve vertices in a Set (select vertices and hit Create > Sets > Set ) and then bind that Set to the arm joints. This way Maya only calculates the deformations for the vertices in that set, NOT the entire shirt. People often select all joints that will deform the shirt, then the shirt object itself and hit bind. Then you get things like sleeve joint deforming the chest or even worse, head joint deforming the legs etc... Using Sets you can easily isolate which parts of your character (on the vertex level) are deformed by a particular joint. Plus you don't have to worry about flooding with zero weight all the time....

Hope that was clear enough...

ALES

P.S.
Oh, and use Bind to selected joints as often as possible (avoid Bind to complete skeleton if possible)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.