PDA

View Full Version : Final render question

Dipesh (India)
12-24-2003, 11:55 AM
In raytracing rollout incase i set total bounce to 15 & for reflection & refraction i set 5 each.. what would be the use of extra 5 bounces in the total spinner...

also how to use hdri in FR
should i place the hdri in environment dialog & than choose use background in the GI rollout... or should i place hdri map in skylight environment button.. whihc is the right way

incase i want to light the scene with hdri ..but not want to render the hdri map in the background of the final rendering what should i do..

kindly help me

Baldrick
12-24-2003, 12:32 PM
what would be the use of extra 5 bounces in the total spinner...
The total bounces is made up of reflective bounces + refractive bounces + gi bounces. So the extra 5 would be used for GI if enabled.

should i place the hdri in environment dialog & than choose use background in the GI rollout... or should i place hdri map in skylight environment button.. whihc is the right way
Both are 'right'. Putting the HDRI in the skylight slot allows you to have a different rendered background than is providing the lighting - useful when using a screen mapped background.

incase i want to light the scene with hdri ..but not want to render the hdri map in the background of the final rendering what should i do..
Put it in the skylight slot ;)

Dipesh (India)
12-24-2003, 02:57 PM
thanks very much for ur commetns...

other doubt i have is whethre the total density defined changes automatically while rendering.. coz i can see lot more samples in the scene than i defined earliers..

how do balance paramerter work in relatio to total density & min/max ration..

thnks so much
:beer:

Baldrick
12-26-2003, 11:44 AM
total density defined changes automatically while rendering.. coz i can see lot more samples in the scene than i defined earliers..
This is expected behaviour if you're using the default sample distribution method which is relative to the scene bounding box and number of polys.

If you want a consistent sample distribution switch to the Absolute method which is based on the world units. Note that this method tends to generate a lot of samples and there is more need to use local values to get the distribution you want.

how do balance paramerter work in relatio to total density & min/max ratio
In simplistic terms; Min/Max density define HOW MANY sample points are generated. Balance defines WHERE those sample points go.

The higher the balance value the more the sample points are clustered in corners of the geometry, lower values spread the samples more evenly over the surface. Curve Balance does the same for curved surfaces. Don't put the balance too high as you risk trapping the rays in corners, likewise too low and you end up with not enough rays where you need them. The default values are actually pretty good.

Dipesh (India)
12-26-2003, 04:01 PM
reaallly thanks..u solved my confusion:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.