PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the quality and time of rendering with MentalRay and finalRender

egor
06-19-2002, 02:21 PM
If you like, please, view the image in better quality here
http://www.art-3d.narod.ru/pump_gun_mr_fr.jpg

What do you think about the reasons of using MentalRay or finalRender for getting photorealistic images of such kind?
Thank you.

Neil
06-19-2002, 10:20 PM
I would suggest not using the most obvious-everyone has it-wood texture, in the first place. That way we don't know it's digital to start with.

LFShade
06-19-2002, 11:17 PM
It might also help to use an example with a bit better composition. Where's the contrast? I had to stare for a few seconds just to figure out that there was a gun in there; the whole time I was thinking to myself: "What's the point of testing a renderer's ability to render a bitmapped plane?". Then when I finally saw the gun, I thought: "Oh, O.K.! ...so what's the point?".

Add some color, do something to emphasize the interesting shapes in the gun. Set up a scenario where subtle things like antialiasing, color bleeding, caustics, blurred reflections/refractions, or soft shadows might give away differences in the renderers' abilities. That would be a truer test, IMO.

tuna
06-23-2002, 04:56 PM
hey, if you turned up the specular strength in mentalray... they would both look identical.

whats your point?

cmortier
06-23-2002, 10:12 PM
Anyway, you've done something wrong with your setting in mental ray, on my computer (that is at least 2 times slower than yours) a similar scene take only 20 seconds to render ...

Mauritius
06-24-2002, 03:09 AM
Your post is pretty useless.
MentalRay is a high-end renderer. Being a TD working with RMan compliant renderers most of the time, which are of similiar complexity as MR, I can assure you taht it takes a lot of knowledge to successfully use a piece of software like MR.
fR, on the other hand, is a rather simple piece of software, it even depends on MAX which has a lot of drawbacks which are beyond the scope of the forum.

As the other poster pointed out, you obviously made some mistakes with your settings. Another issue is the version of MR you are using. I guess you use a cracked copy since people don't spend money on renderers if they think they are too slow.
The latest MR release is 3 something which has seen a lot of improvements regaring GI rendering.

Cheers,

Moritz

Chris
06-24-2002, 03:52 AM
Plus the connection to Mental Ray from max is pretty half heartedly implemented, so you cant even use a lot of the features Mental Ray has. So if you are using Max, go with finalRender - you can get the same results with a fraction of the cost. If you are using soft. that has a good mental ray integration (eg softimage, XSI) then go with Mental Ray - you cant run finalRender on them anyway ;)

but if you are just comaring Mental Ray with finalRender - its a crazy arugument, FinalRender stage 0 is sort of like "the Max Scanline+" giving some really great features (GI, SSS, Arealights, softshadows, coloured shadowmaps etc etc) at low cost. But it also inherits a lot of Max's problems (innaccurate geometry intersections, bad geometry antialiasing, crazy memory handling...). Mental Ray is in a different class altogether, a standalone renderer - you just cant use it effectivley with the max connection.

on-screen
06-28-2002, 01:56 AM
yeah thats true...
like me now...
having a great time waiting to render the er...
ah-64a combat helicopter...
its already 13 mins over......
and the calculation keeps on going.....
anyway i tried the final render..
it looks great and fast
hahaahaa
:beer:

on-screen
06-28-2002, 01:56 AM
yeah thats true...
like me now...
having a great time waiting to render the er...
ah-64a combat helicopter...
its already 13 mins over......
and the calculation keeps on going.....
anyway i tried the final render..
it looks great and fast
hahaahaa
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.