PDA

View Full Version : A Step Below short movie site up!

anieves
12-24-2003, 02:41 AM
hey gang, I just wanted to let you all know that I finally uploaded my short movie web site. I'll be updating it with goodies such as wallpapers surface presets etc.

drop by and let me know what you think.

A Step Below (http://www.motionblurstudio.com/a_step_below)

chikega
12-24-2003, 02:50 AM
Very cool - especially from a fellow Atlantan. ;) The site has a nice cohesive feel and the story looks promising. I really like the Crabbie creature, very nice modeling - reminds me of some of the creature designs from the 3d shooter "Serious Sam" which used LW by the way. My only humble critique would be the bubble exhaust from her underwater cycle - you didn't want to use particle effects for that?

anieves
12-24-2003, 03:12 AM
thanks!

I actually used HV particles on that back in the LW 6.0 days, I might redo it... will see how I do with what's left of the animation.

I wanted to make it look like there is an inmense amount of power coming out of the engines, now I am more HV savvy and can fix it, if by the end I feel up to it I'll change them; by then I should have LW8 installed:)

anieves
12-24-2003, 06:16 PM
dang, I guess it really blows, 40 views one reply, oh well:shrug:
merry christmas everybody.

LittleFenris
12-25-2003, 04:33 AM
I dont think it blows...I think there just isn't enough actual animation or anything in the teaser to comment on. Most of it is camera moves and very little character animation. Lets see some more and I'm sure you'll get a lot more responses. :)

archiea
12-25-2003, 08:23 AM
well....

there's basically just four shots to the whole thing....

The first CU of her eyes has glazed, dead CG look... peoples eyes don't roll about like they are on hinges.. they dart from subject to subject... And her head just rolls.. its all so lifeless.. Look at Gollum...he acts... look at the subtlety when Frodo call's him smeagal for the first time.. or at the forbbidden pool when frodo prompts him... his eyes are focused and emotive...

The second shot with the flyby has that erractic CG camera look... there is no cinematography... look at the titanic or abyss submarine shots.. far more floaty and a bit more whimsical as its hard to track within the fluid state. Look at under water videos...

Shot three with the doors parting... the "set" looks spartan and has no real lighting... no caustics from the surrounding water, and its the same color as the boat. the pose of the woman seems stiff... try shifting her weight or have her posing midstep as if she was about to proceed and then stops because she notices something.... again... no acting, theres just a pose... Also, I assume she would be wet...

Shot four has perhaps the more successful effort of acting on her part.. the BG looks spartan and uninteresting from a stand point of lighting and modeling....

The jump of the crab creature looks well,... all the same....
he's all the same.. no real variance on his texture.. just one LW surface for his body it seems... His mouth interior is lit by who knows what. his modeling looks a bit limited...like too low rez with no real organic shaping...

Your title design was great, perhaps darken or grad the water BG to make it more ominous. the Music was nice and creepy.. and the crab creature popping up at the end did give me a start....

otherwise, I seriously applaud you on your efforts and hope to see more. Don't mean to sound harsh or to give you so much tough love, but you asked... and by all means use this to push yourself and to improve. the fact that you have it up on a website is a huge effort and you should continue...:bounce:

anieves
12-25-2003, 03:32 PM
yea, there isn't a whole lot in the teaser and I actually time remapped the teaser shots to make em a bit longer; in the final animation those shots are way faster although she still looks a bit stiff. It's kinda wierd cause those shots are around 4 yrs old and my skills have gotten a bit better since then and it can be noticed on the movie.

When the movie is finished you'll some of the things you pointed out were actually done intentionally. The movie might will not be perfect but I am not looking to do The Abyss either. I am revisiting some older shots like the one chikega mentioned but if I go and try to redo everything now I'll go crazy.

I'll hopefully have an audio designer that showed interest in doing the audio work... will see.

archiea, About the camera work... its odd, you are the only one that thinks there is no "cinematography" there, yet again nobody else have compared it to The Abyss nor Titanic either:shrug:

BTW I got the LW8 upgrade with Fusion for Christmas!!!!!:thumbsup:

LittleFenris
12-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by anieves
BTW I got the LW8 upgrade with Fusion for Christmas!!!!!:thumbsup:

Nice!! Have fun with that when you get it! :buttrock:

anieves
12-25-2003, 03:56 PM
here are a couple of images of the first creature...

texture job for the torso... apparently last modified on march 2001.

http://www.motionblurstudio.com/a_step_below/images/gallery/crabbie_textures.jpg

http://www.motionblurstudio.com/a_step_below/images/gallery/crabbie1.jpg

http://www.motionblurstudio.com/a_step_below/images/gallery/crabbie2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.