PDA

View Full Version : Alias’ Maya Provides Core 3D Animation Software for Lord of the Rings: ROTK

roger
12-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Maya still seems to be the leader in 3D software for films! :)
LINK (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/eng/press/press_releases/20031223_lord_of_the_rings.shtml)

BillB
12-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Wow, hold the front page...

MartinGFoster
12-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by roger
Maya still seems to be the leader in 3D software for films! :)
LINK (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/eng/press/press_releases/20031223_lord_of_the_rings.shtml)

True, but Softimage with XSI seems to making a comeback. Especially with Alias seeming to have run out of money for major developments.

Also, the really big studios, like the one where I work, largely write their own software. I don't use any commercial software in my work.:)

swardson
12-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Great Link roger.

dmonk
12-24-2003, 01:38 AM
:shrug:

wgreenlee1
12-24-2003, 02:07 AM
True, but Softimage with XSI seems to making a comeback. Especially with Alias seeming to have run out of money for major developments.

lmao!!!

ggg
12-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by MartinGFoster

I agree wgreenlee1, sorry no disrespect but this makes me lmao too, although XSI is my current app of choice and maybe "making a comeback", and I wish a big one,
it is far too slow a one, and Maya is still WAY out ahead in use (the job postings are at least still 10 to 1) and the next version from Alias will likley be significant.

matty429
12-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Enter the XSI trolls:

Shinova
12-24-2003, 09:13 AM
I don't think anyone (at least not anyone with the right mind) would dispute that Maya is more widely used.

Now which software is better, is a different story (one that should not be retold, if you get my drift. :D )

NUKE-CG
12-24-2003, 09:57 AM
Jealousy at it again :rolleyes:

puch
12-25-2003, 02:57 AM
I'm sorry for you MartinGFoster! All the proprietary softwares I used in the years sucked big time! They don't even have 1/10 of the elegance that Maya has. I compare custom tools with race car. In this ipotetic scenario you could have this conversation with your R&D personnel:

R&D: " This new rage car can turn at 110 mph."

And you aswere: "That is great! Before I test drive it though, can you tell me where the wipers are because it's raining and I can not see the road."

R&D: "I'm sorry, the car doesn't have them".

...and if the wipers get installed then the door handle is missing, and then the steering wheels and so on...

SuperMax
12-25-2003, 10:19 AM
If its not broken why fix it??

Maya has been killing the movies lately. It seems to be doing the Job. And a great one too.

Why change it to something else?

MartinGFoster
12-25-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by puch
I'm sorry for you MartinGFoster! All the proprietary softwares I used in the years sucked big time! They don't even have 1/10 of the elegance that Maya has.

Well, oh well. What fanaticism rises to the surface when you discuss software tools, especially commercial software. I personally would be happy to use anything they stick in front of me, as long as I'm getting paid well and it's a good project.

Regarding proprietary software, I feel sorry for you puch, because most of my experience with in-house software has been very good. My two experiences with in-house software have been at Sony and Rhythm & Hues. They have very robust tools for lighting / compositing. Also, they have large programming teams, often larger than commercial developers, dedicated to production needs. In these cases, the lighting tools were better than anything I have ever seen commercially.

Of course, it depends on what you do and since I do lighting the GUI "elegance" is really not too important and scripts are as good as anything the majority of the time. For other artists and TD's, I'm sure the interface is much more important. That's where Maya and XSI shine.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.