PDA

View Full Version : Creating keys on groups

ljilekor
12-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Creating keys on groups is great for fast and efficient keyframing.

When an object belongs to more than one group there seems to be a problem when keyframing.

-1 Let's say I have 3 groups:
- gLeftArm (L_UpArm, L_ForArm)
- gRightArm (R_UpArm, R_ForArm)
- gTotal (L_UpArm, L_ForArm, R_UpArm, R_ForArm)

-2 The elements from gLeftArm and gRightArm are flaged in the group editor. So all elements of gTotal are unflaged.

-3 I go to frame x and I start to position/rotate both of the arms.

-4 Once I'm satisfied I WANT TO PUT A KEY ON gTotal.
Object L_UpArm is selected. I press [enter], select I group and I select gTotal from the group dropdownList.

Result : :banghead: NOT ALL ELEMENTS OF gTotal have a key. (That's what I asked !)
L_UpArm, L_ForArm have a key.
R_UpArm, R_ForArm do not

I know it has everything to do with which objects are flagged for which groups, but I can't imagine myself constantly flag the objects I want to key. I might as well multiple select the objects.
I'm a big boy, I know what objects are assigned to what group(s). I just don't want to select or flag them anytime I want to put keys on groups with objects that belong to different groups.

Maybe I'm too stupid but I can't see why I have to flag the objects in the group editor. Except maybe for the visual aspect (colors, ...).

For keyframing it makes everything too confusing and a drag to work with. Imagine a scene with 500 bones ordered in 25 groups. You'll get a headache from constantly keeping track of what objs are assigned to what groups and major cramps in your indexfinger from constantly flagging on/off bones.

If the Create KeyFrame popup would just do what you tell it to do it would be just fine, fast and comprehensive.

:bowdown: I implore the M: gods, please help me out.

lmilton
12-26-2003, 07:55 PM
I'll check it out.

ljilekor
12-27-2003, 03:01 AM
Niceness:D

AlexK
05-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Has anything been done in this area, Lyle? I ask because I have the same problems and this post is quite old. Any changes in 2.0?

EDIT:
Or maybe there is a function to switch between a Group membership? This way one could build an armature setup to switch between let's say an IK group and an FK group.
Although it would of course be better if I select a group and wouldn't have to worry about any checked or unchecked items. ;)

CarlDavis
05-25-2004, 07:33 PM
having objects in mulltiple groups only seems to be for compose at the moment, this was talked about a while ago. it is very frustrating.

Carl

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.