PDA

View Full Version : "[Schlitzy Screentest contest] Dagooos WIP"

dagooos
12-23-2003, 05:06 AM
http://www.5000hp.com/gallery/storyboardf.jpg

My drawing skills are let's say less then average, so I did my storyboard in 3d. I tried to make it simple as possible to animate only a couple shots have dialog (which I haven't decided on) and the rest are really short.
any suggestions for for dialog are welcome(or anything else)

David

Zaryin
12-23-2003, 05:29 AM
I like this idea. I don't have much to say about dialogue -- maybe something from Shakespeare or Scarface :).

JTalbotski
12-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Oh, that's funny! He's quite the thespian!
I love his serious romantic facial expressions.

Jim

modernhorse
12-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Dave -
This is great. I love how he's reading the Valley News.

Very readable storyboard. Good one.

pequod
12-23-2003, 09:27 PM
Another advantage of storyboarding with the actual 3D model, is you've already blocked in the scene for the animation. Especially good if you like animating 'pose to pose'.
Very nice idea David, glad to see this contest and the forum coming back to life.

raillard
12-24-2003, 01:25 AM
Hello!

I like the ending of this one! Very "in character." :thumbsup:

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

dagooos
12-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the comments!
Hopefully a couple more will join animation contest :)
I have about half the shots blocked out. I will update when I get the rest blocked out.

David

JTalbotski
12-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Hey, David. Would you mind explaining what blocking out a shot actually means? Is it like quick jumps from pose to pose? Like keyframes?

Thanks,
Jim

thekamps
12-28-2003, 06:22 PM
"Hopefully a couple more will join animation contest :)"

I'm working! I'm working! Trying anyway;)

Well being the novice that I am, I wasn't happy with how things where looking and I spent the past christmas break trying to get the rig constrained to have nice knee bends, etc. Don't I feel stupid after days of frustration to find that all I had to do was to turn the "Baisc Setup" for the rig to ON!
So there was that and then there's, well, I really suck. I attempted a nice drunk walk that didn't come out to well. This is keeping practicing though!

I'll try to post a WIP thread in the next week or so.

JTalbotski
12-28-2003, 06:59 PM
"all I had to do was to turn the "Baisc Setup" for the rig to ON!"

Speaking of this, and hopefully not sidetracking David's thread too much, I have the basic setup pose set to "on" in the user properties under the Schlitzy model name in the PWS. I thought that would make that pose active in any new pose or action I made with the character. But when I create a new action I have to turn the constraints on in the pose slider window for the action. The proxy David made seems to work as I want the full model to work. Can anyone figure out what's wrong with the full Schlitzy model?

Jim

pequod
12-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Jim asked:
Hey, David. Would you mind explaining what blocking out a shot actually means? Is it like quick jumps from pose to pose? Like keyframes?

What I understand blocking in to mean, is what you think, essentially putting in your major keyframes for the action with little regard to timing. Spend some time placing the character in the right spot to hit it's mark and create some strong readable poses (so they are understandable even if they were silhouettes).

Have a look at Keith Lango's site about 'pose to pose'. I still haven't read it myself, :blush: slap wrist.

http://www.keithlango.com/

JTalbotski
12-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks. I will check it out...again. I went through it a long time ago. I had pretty much concluded that animation was hard and didn't feel I was up to the challenge of learning it. This contest is giving me a reason to really try.

Jim

dagooos
12-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Yep, when animating pose to pose blocking is setting keyframes for all your main poses in the shot (stepped keys),say every 10 frames or so then sliding them around on the timeline until you get the timing you like. Rick May introduced this method on the cg-char mailing list a few years ago now it seems like almost everyone uses it.
Like pequad said you should check out Keith Lango's site he alot of good info there.
Also if you want to see some examples of blocking and first pass animation try
http://www.delgo.com/flash_site.html
look in the digital dailies section and you can see thier shots in progress which is pretty cool idea I thought :lightbulb

As for the Rig, I'm stumped! When I made the proxy model I didnt change anything to do with the setup (at least it wasnt my intent if I did) I looked at both models and I can't see anything that was changed maybe someone else has some ideas.

dagooos
12-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by thekamps
"Hopefully a couple more will join animation contest :)"

I'm working! I'm working! Trying anyway;)

I spent the past christmas break trying to get the rig constrained to have nice knee bends, etc. Don't I feel stupid after days of frustration to find that all I had to do was to turn the "Baisc Setup" for the rig to ON!

I'll try to post a WIP thread in the next week or so.

LOL I been there, thats one of the joys of 3d animation :scream:

Cool that you will be joining in and thanks for all the story ideas!

dagooos
02-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Sorry I didnt make the contest I have been working on a project that has really been useing up all my spare time. I did block something out the last couple nights and thought i would post it. Its really rough but i wanted to atleast post something :)

http://www.5000hp.com/animations/beer.mov

JTalbotski
02-15-2004, 05:37 PM
dagooos,

That's a LOT of action you put in the scene! It reads very well for just a block in. I especially like the part when he tries to regain his balance and has to work really hard at it.

I'm glad you posted your work. I wish you could have had more time to bring it farther along, but I enjoyed the gags and action a lot.

Jim

pequod
02-15-2004, 08:07 PM
I see you (like me) abandoned your original storyboard:)
I hope you continue to work on this as it's got some sublime moments, namely that head stand!
Is that surreal ending with the beer bottles rigid body dynamics?

Stephen.

raillard
02-16-2004, 03:32 AM
Wow! I'm impressed with the way Schlitzy moves.
I mean: sure, this is a rough pass ... and yet it already looks very promising. With me, my initial attempts at an animation are always a pain to watch, 'cuz my character sloshes around in a floaty sort of way.

Obviously you do not have the same problem. :bowdown:

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

dagooos
02-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the comments

pequod - yes, I abandoned the storyboard because when I blocked it out it seemed so boring i almost put myself to sleep :)
I will continue to work on this one. There was just no way I could get it done by deadline.
Yes, ending was rigid body dynamics. I have never tried them in A:M but the seem to work pretty well. Setting them up is kind of a pain though one at a time :rolleyes:

raillard - Like you I am a fan of the old style cartoons (my 16mm projector gets used quite often) so im going for that kind of cartoon style but want to keep the cool modern 3d look :cool:

Thanks
David

hoochoochoochoo
02-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Dagoos..
visited your link. Is that where you work? Great lookin project, is it done in AM?

dagooos
02-16-2004, 06:17 PM
hoochoochoochoo - Nope I don't work there. I just posted that link because they have digital dailies and alot of examples of blocking out shots.
I agree though it does look like a cool project. Its done in Maya I believe there are a few A:M artist working there now and I see Brian Prince has recently joined them as a lighter by his signature :)

hoochoochoochoo
02-16-2004, 06:23 PM
D'OH! :blush:

I see what you mean, I was reading your thread backwards and saw the link everyone was commenting on - naturally assumed you'd posted somewhere in the dailies... :blush:

then I found your link... Oh dear, I misread your comments.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.