PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn off Hyper Threading

Forrest
12-22-2003, 07:06 PM
I have a single processor Pentium 4 that has Hyper Threading enabled. I would like turn off the Hyper Threading to test the speed difference, but I'm not sure how to turn it off.

Also, what do most people use, Hyper Threading On or Off?

Thanks,

Forrest

MattClary
12-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Pretty sure it's an option in the BIOS. If you don't know how to get into the BIOS, I recommend you DON'T try.

Saurus
12-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Yup, its in your bios, but you may have to re-install your OS. Thats what I had to do with my laptop. I dont know if its the same for desktops.

Good luck.

Saurus

Novakog
12-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by MattClary
Pretty sure it's an option in the BIOS. If you don't know how to get into the BIOS, I recommend you DON'T try.

Why wouldn't he? Don't you just press F2 or something at start up (at least on my comp)? Just make sure not to change anything if you don't know exactly what it is.

imashination
12-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Novakog
Why wouldn't he?

Because if he doesn't know the basics, such as how to get in to the bios, the chances of him fluffing up something in there are rather high.

MattClary
12-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Exactly.

Forrest
12-23-2003, 02:53 PM
I decided to try changing the setting in the BIOS and was able to figure out how to switch Hyper Threading on or off. I'm a Mac guy who bought a PC earlier this year, so this was the first time I had ever messed with the BIOS, but it seemed pretty straight forward, I just made sure not to change anything other then the Hyper Threading setting.

Forrest

Novakog
12-23-2003, 07:13 PM
Well, I don't know what kinda computers (well, motherboards really) you guys have, but changing settings is BIOS is really straightforward on mine. Even if you're a beginner, if you know exactly what you want to change (with advice on that from someone else) and you don't touch anything else, I really don't see how anything can go wrong unless you're really really stupid. I think you guys just underestimate people. That said, I know some people who definitely couldn't go in to BIOS without screwing something up, people that have a track record of screwing up electronics whenever they use them, but those people tend not to be on CGTalk.

MattClary
12-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Novakog, you overestimate the intelligence of the average user. The BIOS is a place to be tread lightly. I agree that it's very simple and you have to be stupid to screw it up, I just maintain the world is full of stupid people. Luckily our friend Forrest is not one of them. :thumbsup:

Novakog
12-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Well, the world is full of stupid people, I'm not gonna argue there :p, and the average user is pretty, not stupid, but ignorant. But I was of course referring to CGTalk users in general.

Anyway, who cares? Now let's all go out and take advantage of the stupid people ;)!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.