PDA

View Full Version : Character: female hero (yes, another one)

spm
12-22-2003, 07:35 PM
hi there! my latest creation for just the fun of it.

maya, photoshop.

1856 polys. body 512x512 txt, head, hands, hair and goggles 256x256 txt.

im a very bad rigger so the deformations arent that good in my mind...

c&c are welcome.

http://susi.nu/jonni/Chili/hero02_render02.jpg
http://susi.nu/jonni/Chili/compiles.jpg

spm
12-22-2003, 07:36 PM
http://susi.nu/jonni/Chili/hero02_body.jpg

http://susi.nu/jonni/Chili/hero02_head.jpg

CGmonkey
12-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Wow SPM that's an awesome model!

The only thing I'm kinda confused about is why you have that much symmetry IMO you've wasted too much space on the uv map on the same stuff. Atleast make it different from the other side! ;)

I like it though.. Nice stuff!

spm
12-22-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by CgMonkey
Wow SPM that's an awesome model!

The only thing I'm kinda confused about is why you have that much symmetry IMO you've wasted too much space on the uv map on the same stuff. Atleast make it different from the other side! ;)

I like it though.. Nice stuff!

youre absolutely right about the symmetry. i was so into painting the texture that i forgot to make them different :). ill get back into business after x-mas again and then ill fix the arms etc. perhaps a tattoo?

CGmonkey
12-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Hehe yeah I thought it was something like that..

Can we perhaps see a wf?

A tattoo would fit.. :)

spm
12-22-2003, 10:06 PM
http://susi.nu/jonni/Chili/hero02_wire.jpg

SammyB
12-23-2003, 01:58 AM
Nice model, and the texture looks nice and sharp. Well done.

spm
12-23-2003, 03:27 PM
thank you.

ive painted the textures in a resolution of 1024 this time. usually i paint them in 2000 and then shrink the whole thing.

i use a macro ive made in photoshop that flattens the image, scales it to 800, sharpens it and scales it to 512 and again sharpens it.

DreiGrasheir
12-23-2003, 05:48 PM
looking good so far. all i can suggest is that for the flesh you should add some very faint complimentary color to the areas that get little bloodflow, such as the cheeks(not cheeksbones), sides of nose, and the eye sockets. also, the goggles look like they're crazy glued onto her forehead. wheres the strap? :)

nathan 3d
12-23-2003, 05:51 PM
nice model!

A small tip. Save wire frame images as .gif or .png. You will save alot of detail. In photoshop Save For Web and play around. You will see what I mean.

spm
12-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by DreiGrasheir
looking good so far. all i can suggest is that for the flesh you should add some very faint complimentary color to the areas that get little bloodflow, such as the cheeks(not cheeksbones), sides of nose, and the eye sockets. also, the goggles look like they're crazy glued onto her forehead. wheres the strap? :)

thanx for the input.

yes, i agree with you on the skin issue. im really bad at making proper skin for low poly characters. ive avoided vein due to the fact that shes a she and not very doped, if you know what i mean? but do you think it might fit with some discrete veins?

about this complementary color youre talking about. are you meaning a red kind of blush och more like a purple bruise tone?

the goggles: they actually have a strap going back under the hair. im not very pleased with them as for now. ill try to make some more detail to them... and if that doesnt work ill remove them completely :). some ppl have said thet they really dont fit with the character at all.

spm
12-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by nathan 3d
nice model!

A small tip. Save wire frame images as .gif or .png. You will save alot of detail. In photoshop Save For Web and play around. You will see what I mean.

ya, i know what you mean i did this with the save for web option, but chose jpg for some lazy reason i guess :)

usually i save every image as a bmp and convert them into jpg using adcsee... unbeatable. ps doesnt even come close to that.

DreiGrasheir
12-23-2003, 06:09 PM
no, i dont mean veins, i mean (like you said) using a bruise colored blue/purple to fill in certain parts of the skin like the ckeek sockets (?) or around the eyes. when i say faint, i mean i use a 5% opacity brush, and still usually end up erasing with 20% opacity once or twice. the skin just need some color is all... for an exagerated example of what i mean, check out the face on my sheriff (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109450)

BurrowingDuck
12-24-2003, 08:30 AM
excellent work here spm! I love the poses the best. Nothing on this model bugs me except the head. It's much too small. scale it up a bit and the model will look so muhc better. The other thing is just personal opinion, but I think the hair looks very boring and stiff like plastic but you certainly dont have to change anything about it

spm
12-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by BurrowingDuck
excellent work here spm! I love the poses the best. Nothing on this model bugs me except the head. It's much too small. scale it up a bit and the model will look so muhc better. The other thing is just personal opinion, but I think the hair looks very boring and stiff like plastic but you certainly dont have to change anything about it

thanks for the input. actually youre not the first person reacting on the head (exactly the same comments), so i guess youre right :). ill dig into it after christmas.

AndersEgleus
12-26-2003, 03:13 PM
I'm definitely taking this as a learning example.

The model looks very solid, and it's nice to see a female model who doesn't look like a genetic cross between a human and a wasp for a change - you sense a lot of her character just by looking at the silhouette.

The head being too small is a matter of character more than an aesthetic problem. The current propotions make her look tall and heroic, kind of like Xena, and this goes very well with the rest of the character. If you blow up the head, imo you shouldn't overdo it or you might loose some of her character.

Regarding the textures I really like the contrast between the bright smooth skin and the rough detailed dark clothes and armor. The face looks like it belongs to a skinnier woman though, the eyesockets and cheekbones look to prominent for her well built body.

Some other things I noticed:

The upper arms look too long, most visible in the second, third and fifth poses. It looks OK when her arms aren't bent though, so it might just be a matter of moving the back of her elbow (and thus the elbow joint) up a bit, shortening her triceps. But I have no experience with low poly rigging so I don't know if that will cause undesirable deformations. The shoulder is very nicely rigged though. Care to elaborate if you have any special rig to make the shoulder area deform well?

Also, the common problem of bun-breasts. I'm no anatomy expert, but I think the "breast seam" should go behind, as well as below the pecs where they meet the ribs under the armpits. In short you should move them back a bit IMO.

Otherwise, great work, looking forward to seeing updates.

spm
12-30-2003, 07:35 PM
minor updates and a large image so that you can see the detail better.

i scaled up her head a bit, added some texure detail, changed the color of the hair and re-posed her.

my skills when it comes to skinning arent very good so far... or you could say i havent had the patience to tweak it. i hate skinning and rigging :)

also, about the shaft shes holding the scyths by. i dont know why the texture gets all distorted like that (seen in other parts too if you look closely). it doesnt get wrong in the viewport... only when i render the image. anyone know some issues related to that?

http://susi.nu/jonni/Chili/hero02_render17.jpg

Inchoatos
12-31-2003, 09:32 PM
hey, pretty awsome model spm.

i would have to say that the face texture is lacking some fleshy tones. maybe a bit of red/pinkish on the cheecks and such. it would really bring the face out. nice job on the whole.
one more thing, i would think about desymmetrizing <--(is the a word) the texture it would give it more style :D

cheers

spm
12-31-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Inchoatos
hey, pretty awsome model spm.

i would have to say that the face texture is lacking some fleshy tones. maybe a bit of red/pinkish on the cheecks and such. it would really bring the face out. nice job on the whole.
one more thing, i would think about desymmetrizing <--(is the a word) the texture it would give it more style :D

cheers

youre absolutely right about everything you say. the flesh is my weakest point. i really suck at doing convincing flesh if i dont use photos :P. i even added red "blood"-tones to it last time i updated it, but i guess it wasnt enough :)

also, i added some non symmetrical detailing. but that work too wasnt enough if you found it too symmetrical :)

thx for the input. i will work more on those points.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.