PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on water cooled systems ?

unclebob
12-22-2003, 05:46 PM
What is your thoughts on water cooled systems ? I like the idea of it being very much quieter than fans (I have 5 case fans, 2 power supply fans, CPU fan and a bios chip fan- makes it sound like a C-130 taking off).

The idea of introducing water into an electronic environment is counter to my training. LOL

Would/could the tubes leak ? what kind of life span on the tubes, like how often would they have to be replaced ?

Maybe I am just being overly anal about it in looking at the worst case scenerio, ie: a pinhole in the tube spraying the mobo with water, the tube comming loose and dumping water into the case ..etc.

thanks,
bob

quinox
12-22-2003, 06:31 PM
I did it once, and this is what I think of it:

1) its a pain to install it (smoothing the cooling blocks and stuff)
2) its a pain to fill it
3) It costs alot of money
4) you have to doublecheck the power of the pump all the time or else you'll destroy your system (or attach it to your PSU in your pc somehow)

When we were done, we wasted 1 powerbox, lots of water, alot of time, and it wasn't really quiet ^_^

if you ask me, its cool to have it so you can brag about it but nothing more

stephen2002
12-22-2003, 09:53 PM
For the most part what I hear is that you can get very good results with air cooling. Just take the time to research your heat sinks and fans to find the best solution.

Make sure you have the correct airflow through your case and you should only need 2 case fans, the fan(s) in your PSU, and the fan(s) for your CPU(s) and chipset.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.