PDA

View Full Version : After Effects CC and Cineware

Srek
06-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi all,
since yesterday the new After Effetcs CC is available. As you might know it includes Cineware. Cineware allows you to integrate CINEMA 4D directly into AE.
For those who didn't know yet, try it :)
For those who want to try it here is a small hint:
If you don't want to rely on the CINEMA 4D Lite version integrated in AE CC you need to have R14.042 installed on your system. Make sure it is installed via the installer on the DVD, installations done by copying the files can't be recognized.

Cheers
Björn

vincent scotti
06-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Is the old option of opening a AE file generated from C4d multi pass still available or is that older workflow no more?

For some reason when I put the old C4d import plugins into AE CC I get error message at start-up.

mustardseed
06-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Srek, there's an FAQ on greyscalegorilla that states Cineware is compatible with C4d R12 and up. Is this true? i.e.: We don't need to have r14 in order to work with Cineware?

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2013/04/cineware-and-cinema-4d-lite-faq/

"What versions of Cinema 4D are supported in Cineware?
Cinema 4D scene files made with R12 and up are supported in Cineware."

Srek
06-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Sorry, the old plugin and Cineware can't be installed at the same time since they use several common properties that can't be split. Having said that, Cineware should deliver exactly the same function as the old plugin, it just can do a lot more than that :)
edit: the aec file importer will work

R12 files can be loaded afaik, but the live exchange can only work with 14.042

Cheers
Björn

rsquires
06-19-2013, 12:17 PM
So before anyone flames me for not reading the manual, it won't open from within AE CC for some reason, maybe as I have R14 already installed. I did actually find the manual, but couldn't find how to use the Ambient Occlusion Multi pass. Depth works well but Ambient Occlusion is just a white frame. Anyone know the workflow to get this to appear. Obviously if you turn it on in the composition it appears but it's kind of baked in already.

Continuumx
06-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi all,
since yesterday the new After Effetcs CC is available. As you might know it includes Cineware. Cineware allows you to integrate CINEMA 4D directly into AE.
For those who didn't know yet, try it :)
For those who want to try it here is a small hint:
If you don't want to rely on the CINEMA 4D Lite version integrated in AE CC you need to have R14.042 installed on your system. Make sure it is installed via the installer on the DVD, installations done by copying the files can't be recognized.

Cheers
Björn

I had an opportunity to experiment with this feature. It is a time saver. I basically opened a new cinema 4d file from within AE then went right in C4D for setting up a simple animation.

As soon as I hit the 'save' C4D scene, it appeared in AE. The only thing I miss is it picking up things like C4D sky object - all I received with the experiment was a black background.

It is definitely a glimpse of a sophisticated blending of AE and C4D.

The other thing I would like to see in Cineware is the option to go ahead and save an image sequence. If it is doing this already, I have no idea where the image sequence is being saved. It would be cool to take the image sequence output from Cineware into lightroom/photoshop/speedgrade for specialty editing. Once the specialty editing is complete, roundtrip this back to AE/Cineware.

bonsak
06-19-2013, 09:17 PM
The other thing I would like to see in Cineware is the option to go ahead and save an image sequence. If it is doing this already, I have no idea where the image sequence is being saved. It would be cool to take the image sequence output from Cineware into lightroom/photoshop/speedgrade for specialty editing. Once the specialty editing is complete, roundtrip this back to AE/Cineware.

I agree. This is a huge timesaver. But it would be great to be able to save the c4d-output to disk separately , and then be able to choose from AE if you want to rerender the layer or not. When finishing comps, its not always necessary to rerender the 3d-frames every time.

-b

druller
06-20-2013, 06:58 AM
So before anyone flames me for not reading the manual, it won't open from within AE CC for some reason, maybe as I have R14 already installed. I did actually find the manual, but couldn't find how to use the Ambient Occlusion Multi pass. Depth works well but Ambient Occlusion is just a white frame. Anyone know the workflow to get this to appear. Obviously if you turn it on in the composition it appears but it's kind of baked in already.

try this
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-after-effects-cc/cinema-4d-techniques-visible-tv-part-2/

rsquires
06-20-2013, 09:29 AM
try this
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-after-effects-cc/cinema-4d-techniques-visible-tv-part-2/

great. Thanks

LemonNado
06-21-2013, 02:40 PM
If you happen to be in Manhattan at June 27th then check this out:

www.aeny.org

There is a very cool meeting/presentation set up in a public school auditorium.

It's all about the AE and C4D integration.

You have to register a (free) ticket to come into the school. Be quick to reserve a ticket.
This will definitely fill up quickly.

Usually there are nice door prices as well. Books, plugins, media, race cars, rocket ships...

Cu you there next week!
Rainer

serge-m
06-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Hi,

I'm currently working (and testing) Cineware for a job.
It fits quite well into my current pipeline.
But there's one strange thing: if I want to transform the Cineware layer with AE's own position, scaling and rotation keyframes, the C4D objects then all of the sudden disappear :argh:
Also, there is no "parenting" option for the Cineware layer... - why is that so ?
It is important for me to repositioning a 3D layer with 2D values (e.g. if I do tracking work).
I precomposed the Cineware layer, so that it works now, but was that intended to be like this ?

Kind regards

Serge

Troyan
06-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Ok, so, I have Cinema 4D Studio 14.042 and AE CS6. Do I have to have AE CC to use Cineware? I have a project that is looking like it would be a time saver, but I'm not down with CC yet.

AdamT
06-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Yes, as I understand it Cineware will be CC only. :banghead:

Mike Abbott
06-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Yes, as I understand it Cineware will be CC only. :banghead:

Ah, the joy of capitalism. They've got to try and wring the money out of your wallet somewhow :)

Srek
06-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Ok, so, I have Cinema 4D Studio 14.042 and AE CS6. Do I have to have AE CC to use Cineware? I have a project that is looking like it would be a time saver, but I'm not down with CC yet.
Cineware is only included in AE CC.

serge-m
06-25-2013, 09:37 AM
@Björn: can you confirm that I posted above ?

Thanks

Serge

Srek
06-25-2013, 10:04 AM
@Björn: can you confirm that I posted above ?

Thanks

Serge
Sorry, but i'm not the right person to ask this, my own experience with AE is extremely limited. Please make sure to report problems to Adobe and Maxon support.
Cheers
Björn

bonsak
06-25-2013, 10:23 AM
@serge-m Im not sure why, but its just like you're experiencing. Its not possible to transform Cineware layers in AE without precomposing them or using the transform effect.

-b

serge-m
06-25-2013, 11:06 AM
@serge-m Im not sure why, but its just like you're experiencing. Its not possible to transform Cineware layers in AE without precomposing them or using the transform effect.

-b

Yes, this is a serious issue, if you want to adjust motion.
But who to contact now: Adobe or Maxon ?
I think this is a Maxon related issue... I contact their support.

Best

Serge

dataflow
06-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Best

Serge
my understanding is this is an adobe plugin.
so it would/should be adobe that needs to help you(could be wrong)

Srek
06-25-2013, 12:02 PM

Best

Serge
Please get in contact with Adobe on this.

chi
06-25-2013, 09:45 PM
my understanding is this is an adobe plugin.
so it would/should be adobe that needs to help you(could be wrong)

Cineware is a co-production from both companies

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if this was a limitation though as there are similar issues with other effects like the New Pixel motion blur, which also needs to be pre-comped in certain situations where you want to affect the layer the effect is applied to.

Jops
06-27-2013, 09:32 AM
I really like the idea behind cineware and the developements that might come.
but on the other hand I just loathe the CC only approach of adobe. without cineware I wouldn't even consider to go into the cloud :(

hard times.

Jops

ChrisCousins
09-23-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm getting a string of cryptic replies after installing the C4DImporter.plugin with AfterEffects CC:

After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! {Unexpected FunctionBlock5 flags for FunctionBlock4}
//
AEGP Plugin SDK_IO: Could not register file type.
//
AEGP Plugin SDK_IO: There was an error registering the plugin.

Any chances of an updated version from Maxon to work with CC? I've deleted the 'MAXON CINEWARE AE' folder, but the problem remains.

interactiveBoy
09-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Chris,

The old plugin architecture is no longer supported. You must use Cineware.

But just FYI...I use Cineware ONLY for extracting my 3D data (camera, lights, nulls, etc.)

So in that respect, it's actually a slightly better workflow. You don't have to output .aec from C4D anymore. Just open the C4D file and extract what you need. No more need to re-export .aec after making changes in the C4D file.

I still render my multipass from C4D the old school way. That might change for me when the new cineware gets dropped on us soon.

ChrisCousins
09-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Chris, The old plugin architecture is no longer supported. You must use Cineware....

But Cineware is useless for anything other than the simplest animations. Anything xpresso/script based is lost with Cineware; targeted cameras, animated light rigs, camera rig setups are all ignored when you extract the scene.

I'm working around it by having AE CS6 open on a laptop to pull the scene data properly, save and reopen in CC - but it's not exactly smooth workflow.

GruvDOne
09-23-2013, 06:06 PM
I get those errors too, but I just dismiss them. The old workflow still works with those plugins despite the error messages at launch, and have not found it to have a negative impact on any other aspect of the program. The thread on the Adobe forums has someone suggesting that leaving the old plugins screws with Dynamic Link, but I have not found that to be the case, as I often link between AE and PP.

RickBarrett
09-23-2013, 06:39 PM
The old plugin architecture is no longer supported. You must use Cineware.

Not true. MAXON recognizes the benefits of the AEC workflow and continues to support it. If you have R15, you'll find a C4DImporter plugin for CC in the Exchange Plugins folder of your installation. Unfortunately the new plugin has not yet found its way to the website - I've asked about that internally. In the meantime, if you don't have R15 I believe you can get the new plugin from an R15 demo installation.

ETA: The C4DFormat plugin is no longer necessary since its functionality is now part of AE CC. Only the Importer plugin is required. Make sure you don't copy an additional C4DFormat plugin into your AE installation.

interactiveBoy
09-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I must have misread a post I saw a few days ago.

:beer:

ChrisCousins
09-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Not true. MAXON recognizes the benefits of the AEC workflow and continues to support it. If you have R15, you'll find a C4DImporter plugin for CC in the Exchange Plugins folder of your installation...

That's good news Rick, but the Exchange plugins in the R15 folder still seem to cause the error, perhaps the wrong one was bundled on the DVD? Can you check the date on the correct AE plugin - I have Thursday, 10 May 2012 16:31 for both CS5-6 and CSCC versions.

Having said that, the AEC loader imports the files fine once I click OK to the three error messages - but AE is such a creaky old app I'd rather not give it any extra excuses to bomb out on me!

Srek
09-24-2013, 06:31 AM
That's good news Rick, but the Exchange plugins in the R15 folder still seem to cause the error, perhaps the wrong one was bundled on the DVD? Can you check the date on the correct AE plugin - I have Thursday, 10 May 2012 16:31 for both CS5-6 and CSCC versions.

Having said that, the AEC loader imports the files fine once I click OK to the three error messages - but AE is such a creaky old app I'd rather not give it any extra excuses to bomb out on me!
Make sure to apply all updates, the exchange plugins will be updated as well. The DVD only ever contains the very first version of a plugin that was ready at the time of first customer shipping.
Cheers
Björn

ChrisCousins
09-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Make sure to apply all updates, the exchange plugins will be updated as well. The DVD only ever contains the very first version of a plugin that was ready at the time of first customer shipping.
Cheers
Björn

Thanks Björn. I've done all the updates to R15, including docs, and have just downloaded the R15 demo to pull the plugin out of that - but the error remains whenever I launch AE with the C4DImporter.plugin present.

Not a massive problem yet, but I'd like to get it working eventually.

Running OSX, by the way.

RickBarrett
09-24-2013, 06:33 PM
I just double-checked on two Macs and I don't get any error messages when I use the plugin from May 10, 2012. Are you sure you don't have any other versions of the C4DImporter or any versions of the C4DFormat plugin installed? What exact AE version are you using (from the About box)?

ChrisCousins
09-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for checking Rick. I've not got any other C4D plugins installed (either in plugins or in the Adobe/MediaCore folder), and the AE version is the most recent - 12.0.0.404

Very odd, probably something simple I've overlooked - I'll have a dig around later on into the depths of the cavernous folder that is Application Support/Adobe :argh:

GruvDOne
10-25-2013, 07:30 PM
I still get the errors too, despite removing the format plugin... though the importer plugin Im using is still the one from R14 as I've not been able to update yet.