PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Ryan Church - CGNetworks article

Leonard
12-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Merry Christmas everyone! Just one last thing before we sign off for the year....and exclusive feature article with one of the most awesome artists we've had the pleasure of interviewing - Ryan Church, Senior Art Director at Industrial Light and Magic. If you want to see a book full of his work, check out The Art of Star Wars Episode II. Incredible stuff.

>> The Art of Ryan Church << (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1854)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/bigimages/ryanchurch.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1854)

Merry Christmas! :buttrock:

Leo

JamesMK
12-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Hmm... That's one skilled fellow indeed. Thanks for an interesting article and inspiring artwork!

Let's hope he doesn't suddenly enter the Alienware challenge - then we're all screwed! :D

renderwoman
12-22-2003, 12:53 PM
oh,cool !
thanx

PixelShader
12-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Now THAT's what I'm talking about! Is this the EXPOSE' 2 GRAND MASTER?? (hint hint) :D

FANTASTIC work! I have The Art of Star Wars Episode II and I must say that I really enjoyed the concepts a lot. Really inspirational stuff for all artists - CG or not.

Keep cranking these great articles Leo! Merry Christmas to all!

Geoff

Addiso
12-22-2003, 01:14 PM
What ever happened to Doug Chiang ???

Cloud somebody celar that out to me ???

HE used to be the main concept man of the new/old eps.

bRyaN2003
12-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Fantastic article....

Thanks, and Happy Holidays...

CGmonkey
12-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Woa.. This dude is awesome! Great article!

Kvaalen
12-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Woah!!! That guy has awsome work!
Interesting reading too.

Neil
12-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Very nice. It's cool to read that he also gets his hands dirty in other aspects of the film, like the CG models and makes sure they all look good.... but i wish he could also get his hands in the script. (him and all other Star Wars artists)

I look through the concept art books and it ALWAYS looks cooler in book form than it does on the big screen. I still like the concept design of Darth Maul better than the movie Maul, and also Church's war scenes still look more stimulating than the movie scenes.

Let's hope he doesn't suddenly enter the Alienware challenge - then we're all screwed!

Honestly, i think that would be just unfair. :) Like Pixar entering some animation contest on here. haha.

CGmonkey
12-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Honestly, i think that would be just unfair. :) Like Pixar entering some animation contest on here. haha.

CGTalk is afterall a forum for "Digital Visual Effects Professionals", Isn't it? :) So, it wouldn't be that unfair! :P

3DKnight
12-22-2003, 05:31 PM
true, but when 70% of the people on here are striving to get into the industry, it would be a bit disheartening trying to compete against professionals earning 6 figures.

I think these boards are based more towards the student and entry level persons, dont you think? It's what makes up a majority of the content.

HanDron
12-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Sometimes just to say "WOW" is enough. :)

kwshipman
12-22-2003, 07:27 PM
he is truly amazing. thoes images are so beautyful! As soon as I am done with fengs DVDs I am getting Ryans. I love how much art is movies now days. Keep it up Ryan and also Leo, keep bringing us more of these great articles:thumbsup:

P.s. how do you pronounce "Gnomon" anyways?

Supervlieg
12-22-2003, 08:06 PM
Great stuff. I love the energy in his paintings. very atmospheric coloring too.

rotaryman
12-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Addiso
What ever happened to Doug Chiang ???

Cloud somebody celar that out to me ???

HE used to be the main concept man of the new/old eps.

He's been working on his own projects "Robota", plus Lucas likes to try and use different talent, I "think" Iian McCaig was the only concept artist to stay on ship for all three productions, but I am not sure.

Lifthz
12-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Reminds me of Craig Mullins, although I think Craig Mullins is much more imaginative and unique, and probably more skilled. Anyway... yeah, I really like this guy too.

commy
12-23-2003, 01:09 AM
mm nice stuff, tho the ep II stuff still looks nasty even when skillfuly drawn, gues sit was just doomed from the start tho.

i wanna see the proper light sabres like the artists draw them flaming swords with huge flares they look so damn cool then u everyfilm u need to watch the glow sticks and imagine how much cooler theyd be

anywho i love all those art of series books so much lovely drawings in

malducin
12-23-2003, 01:36 AM
Doug Chaing is serving as Art Directior for the Polar Express.

As far as concept artists for all 3 prequels, there is also Warren Fu and Robert Barnes, plus depending on how you count them, some of the ones that do the maquettes of the concepts like John Goodson who also works on the Model Shop.

Craig Mullins is a matte painter, not a concept artists per se.

rotaryman
12-23-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by malducin
Doug Chaing is serving as Art Directior for the Polar Express.

As far as concept artists for all 3 prequels, there is also Warren Fu and Robert Barnes, plus depending on how you count them, some of the ones that do the maquettes of the concepts like John Goodson who also works on the Model Shop.

Craig Mullins is a matte painter, not a concept artists per se.

cool thanks for clarifying that :applause:

pogonip
12-25-2003, 04:43 AM
Ryan has serious skills ..!

Leonard do an Interview with Ian Mccaig next !!!! I heard he is a super cool guy ...and deffinatly one of the best character concept guys out there !!

facial
12-26-2003, 12:15 AM
S0 great stuff , i love thoes works, :buttrock:

Joe2003
12-28-2003, 12:39 AM
The rumor is Doug Chiang left Lucasfilm because he was upset that Ryan Church and Erik Tiemen's work was used a lot more than his own in Episode II, and he felt that Lucas preferred their work to his. I think there is some validity to that because all you have to do is pick up the Art of Episode II book, which is absolutely phenomenal, and see where the work of Church and Tiemen in Episode II far outweighs that of Chiang.

Of course, the old pc line from Chiang was that he was leaving to work on his book. So you'll never hear that from him. But it seemed he was disappointed.

I have nothing against Chiang, as he is a very talented artist. But I always preferred the art of Tiemen and Church over Chiang. Their work always seemed more inspired and visually stunning. Chiang's work always felt cold to me.

Here are a couple of stunning pieces of art from Ryan Church used in Episode II.

http://www.ryanchurch.com/images/sw_ep2/CBT10REVISIONsmallships.jpg
http://www.ryanchurch.com/images/sw_ep2/inside.jpg

I-NetGraFX
12-28-2003, 07:03 PM
... because all you have to do is pick up the Art of Episode II book, which is absolutely phenomenal, and see where the work of Church and Tiemen in Episode II ...

... got this excellent book too! Stunning paintings and designs.

:arteest:

Addiso
12-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Joe2003
The rumor is Doug Chiang left Lucasfilm because he was upset that Ryan Church and Erik Tiemen's work was used a lot more than his own in Episode II, and he felt that Lucas preferred their work to his.

Thanks for the insight.
I also think that Chiang has a more cool, technical style.

But to tell the truth I think one of the main reasons
why the visuals and the feel of the II.ep seems a faliure TO ME
is just this new overwhelming grandness of vision.

It is well placed in some scenes like the balcony and the troops
but adds little to the story elswhere. In the original trilogy technology is just a backdrop of the events, but in the prequels
they seem to the whole point.

Nomatter how many new robo or tech designs you put in a picture
if it doesn't tell a story.

Well sorry for the ranting and the bad english, but I had these
thoughts for some time now, and thought I'd share them with
this talented crowd.

Joe2003
12-30-2003, 07:47 AM
Well, I couldn't disagree more. The images and visuals in Episode II are incredible and work phenomenally well. They do tell a story. You may not like the story they tell, but that doesn't mean they don't tell one. In fact, Star Wars films more than any other can be watched with the sound off, and you can still understand what's going on.

Bulldog
12-30-2003, 08:29 AM
really?

Funny most people had trouble understanding whats going on with the Sound turned ON! :)

I guess you need to be a regular at force.net to appreciate the story behind the clone army shots from the balcony.

:p

zsz
12-30-2003, 10:13 AM
yea!cool work!

Addiso
12-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Joe2003
Well, I couldn't disagree more.

I didn't mean to offend you or the artwork of Ryan Church.

His work is great and I would surely like see his method of
painting, for I greatly admire those artists that can light scenes
with the ease he seems to do.

His paintings are fresh and a joy to watch.

As far as their application in the movies, I think
it's not his fault that the dramatic concept of the
prequels just don't have enough "originality"
to them which the great art could support or add to.

While so, the prequels will continue to be only
a beautifull picture books, but not art in them selves.
The components won't add up to more then the summ
of them.

OFF

Does anyone have a clue how to upload and show an Avatar ?

ON

tensai1
12-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Ok - I really don't know what to think of this. A while ago I posted a couple of drawings from a project I did called NewWorldWonder on the Eatpoo forum.

Basically it is ‘a concept for a threedimensional area in tokyo, where public space is scattered vertically - i took this one step further and made a city area with a (traditional) downtown area and an uptown area hanging above it. inside you would have mad density and lighting mostly from neon etc. and above uptown you would have a totally open space.E(I designed this end of 1999/beginning 2000 and redid the images in 2002).

One member (J. Der ) of the Eatpoo forum wrote at the time:

‘Jesus shitEI think this is, essentially, one of the neatest environmental ideas ever. If no one's ever tried something like this as a backround to a standard sci-fi illustration, I'll bet someone's gonna soon.E

Yesterday I browse the CGTalk forum and see an article on Ryan Church with this illustration of a hanging cityEI then go to the Gnomon site where they’re gonna sell dvds by Ryan Church where as an illustration to his process he paints this same picture. The painting by Ryan is very different from my drawings but the concept is Eam I wrong? Ethe same. Im flattered. Im pissed. I really like the stuff that Ryan and the others did for Star Wars episode 2 (I personally think Dermot Powers kicked everybody’s ass though). But I cant help but feel that from now on whenever I show or submit this project people will go ‘hey that looks like that painting Ryan Church didE Im not saying it was stolen or anything, and maybe I see too much of a similarity into it. That's why I was curious on how others see the (dis)similarities between these. Perhaps I should give Ryan a callE

To be clear here; im not saying this is stolen or anything, if it is similar Ethese things happen. And again I think Ryan Church is one of the masters in what he does. If anything I would love to be as skilful a visualizer as he is. Id just like to know how others see this thing.

for the post on eatpoo;
http://www.eatpoo.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20395

mods - im new here, love the articles. let me know if the images are too big or anything.

http://www.lokjansen.com/shakuhin/churchnww.jpg

http://www.lokjansen.com/shakuhin/nww01.jpg

http://www.lokjansen.com/shakuhin/nww02.jpg

http://www.lokjansen.com/shakuhin/nww03.jpg

tensai1
12-30-2003, 09:45 PM
-

Addiso
12-31-2003, 10:13 AM
Well I don't think you (Tensai1) should be pissed.

There is hardly an original idea out nowadays, rather then
ideas invented over and over again by people not knowing about
the other paralell thought.

So if you invented it on your own
it's an original for YOU and MANY others who haven't heard of
the concept yet. But it is not new to the World out there.

It's all a question of distributing information.

Guessing from your location (Tokyo) I would think that
you've seen Neon Genesis Evangelion. In that anime
the NewTokyo ("3"- I think) has similar buildings hanging from the
ceiling if retracted from the surface into a cavern below.

Similar idea in a different form.I think that in the globalised
world of today it is not the original idea that counts as an
achievement rather then an originally styled rendering or
the application of the idea in a new unforseen way or area
of life.

" The Devil is in the Details "

Your Concept drawings have a really distinct style, and they
powerfully explain the concept in a more architectural
and technical manner, and as far as Ryan's work is concerned
it's more of an artistic vision of that concept put to use
in a fantasy world.

Both have different purposes, thus differ in strengths.
They complement eachother.

Showcased together the idea will unfold to many more people,
ones who better like your explanatory style, and to the ones
who like to get lost in the details of Ryan's rendering.

You are more of a graphic designer and he's more of a painter.
I like both.

Sorry for the long post and the bad english.

OFF
Can anyone help me with an Avatar on this forum ?
Please mail me !
ON

danielh68
12-31-2003, 05:26 PM
It shares some basic characteristics, but I don't think he was influenced by your design if that is what your saying. Who knows, he could have been inspired by the bottom half the the mother ship in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Or, pictures of cave formations, like stalactites. Or, maybe he made a copy of lower city, flipped it a 180 and said, 'hey, I like it'. In any case, I like your artwork, nice style.

my 2cents.

tensai1
01-01-2004, 01:05 PM
i agree - first, when i posted i had never seen a similar concept and wasnt so much pissed as i was surprised. i was only thinking - damn ive never seen this before and now people will think of ryan church when they see my version. i posted this on the eatpoo forum and have since learned that there were already different drawings for similar or same concepts. also now i see more differences than similarities and see it more as different people doing different designs for an excisting concept like people doing different versions of skyscrapers - if you know what i mean. i like both versions too and really enjoy churches drawings in general.

happy newyear.:beer:

oxyg3n
01-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Wow I really liked this article. It wasnt long ago that I read the one about syd mead and I can see how he influenced this artist.

Joe2003
01-04-2004, 06:27 AM
While so, the prequels will continue to be only
a beautifull picture books, but not art in them selves.
The components won't add up to more then the summ
of them.

First off, you didn't offend me. But as I stated, that's your opinion. Your welcome to it, but mine is completely different.

Emmanuel
01-05-2004, 02:24 PM
What I find a bit hard is this:

"Church also emphasizes the importance of artists doing what they love and presenting only their best work: “The quality of work an artist presents is extremely important. I can scan a 20-page portfolio in about 15 seconds and I can tell everything I need to know about the skill level, creativity and professionalism of the designer. "

I mean, come one, 15 seconds for a 20 page portfolio ?

soulburn3d
01-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Emmanuel
What I find a bit hard is this:

"Church also emphasizes the importance of artists doing what they love and presenting only their best work: “The quality of work an artist presents is extremely important. I can scan a 20-page portfolio in about 15 seconds and I can tell everything I need to know about the skill level, creativity and professionalism of the designer. "

I mean, come one, 15 seconds for a 20 page portfolio ?

In all honesty, that's pretty accurate, I've seen it happen, and there are certain clues that immediately jump out, whether it's line weights (that's a big one), overall composition, etc that you can pick up on very quickly without needing to stare at the image for very long. Mind you, if the portfolio is good, you'll slow down and take more than a second an image to enjoy the work :)

- Neil

Scottosh
02-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Has anybody gotten the Ryun Church architecture High or low tech DVD's?Could you share your experiece,a good or bad one,lot's to learn from them or just cash cows?
Thanks for any good solid sound advice.
:beer:

clinko
03-02-2004, 02:40 AM
I bought the high-tech architecture and architectural interior, and I have to say it totally changed the way I work. If you haven't read the review on CGchannel.com, here's the link.

http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=2381

I would've thought the review was biased if I hadn't watch the DVD's, but most of what Cerreto says is true. Ryan Church is not only a great artist but an excellent teacher. (He taught at Art Center.) Only wish I could afford to buy the whole set, but you'll benefit from even one.

-clinko

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.