PDA

View Full Version : LP character - my buggy driver

samgrice
12-22-2003, 12:26 AM
heres the charcter to go with my buggy(link) (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=107148) i've nearly finished the modelling and i want to get on with unwrapping/texturing. he's 3998 tri's at the moment and i'm not sure whether to take out some of the detail on his stomach and leave it to the texture.

also i'm very pleased with the head, i didnt use any photo refrences, just my mate whos good with anatomy helped me put a few vertexes into the right place. the heads only about 1150 tri's without the goggles and mask, but i think i can improve the ear alot.

crits and advice very welcome!

*EDIT* some pics removed, look below for latest pics

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/stuff/character_samgrice02.jpg

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/stuff/character_samgrice01.jpg

Delarosa
12-22-2003, 12:39 AM
don't know what game your going for, but i'de say that it won't be out for a while... cause that's a crapload of poly used...

you can lose poly on the nose/ear and face...

looking good, can't wait to see the skin!

samgrice
12-22-2003, 02:03 PM
well the charcter plus the buggy will come to about 1100 tri's, thats a little higher than i wanted, but i like the amount of detail in the charcter. we've been told to aim for poly counts of around 8,000 to 10,000 for central playing chacaters or vehicles (this is a university project and we have had some very good industry insiders help and advise us).

i could drop the count on this charcter to below 3000 quite easily, but i dont waht to loose much detail, especially on the face.

RmachucaA
12-22-2003, 02:25 PM
just as reference, i did this guy from a bit of inspiration after seeing him modeled by.. i cant remember who.. anyways, since my human modelling is sub-par, i followed his modelling video, and ended up with him, great way to learn how to model... anyways, hes 2100 Triangles, when comparing to yours, its easy to see where you have lots of "wasted" polys, hope this helps!

http://rmachucaa.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/guy.jpg

senor freebie
12-23-2003, 01:25 AM
Nice character Sam :D looks cool

Manky
12-23-2003, 07:30 AM
hi sam, the character is looking good!! should look nice in your buggy!!

SecretAgent
12-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Hey Sam! Looking pretty good so far. I like his proportions and think they are fairly acurate.

A couple things I think you should fix...

- Cut most of those polys out of the stomach area, they're not helping the shape of the model at all (let the texturing help that area out(.
- The ear needs work, define the ouside shape but get rid of the hole, it's a waste of polys (again, the texturing will help out a lot here)
- His bicep is has the "tube/cylinder" look, add some verts to that area and deform it a little more, shape the tricep in there.
- The eye should be more "almond" shaped, it's looking a little too round right now. I would also add a seperate eye ball in there since you're going for such a high poly count.
- Reference, reference, reference - I can't stress that enough, dig around the net and find as much anatomy reference as you can. When modeling the human form it's wise to get the polygons to flow in the general direction that the muscle groups do.

Sorry for all the crit but, I think you've got great potential and just wanna help you out.

One last thing, here's a great link to a good tutorial on modeling the human form you should definetly check out PoopinMyMouth's Character Tutorial (http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/character_tutorial/character_process.htm)

*Poopinmymouth, I hope you don't mind me posting the link to your tutorial*

samgrice
12-24-2003, 04:57 PM
thats a kick-ass tutorial, thanks Eric!

i have made some alterations, but i'm unwrapping him now, so its too late to make any major changes to the structure.

new pics comming soon :)

SecretAgent
12-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Cool, Sam you're definetly getting better at modeling and texturing - all that hard work is paying off, keep it up.

samgrice
12-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks a lot Eric, your advice is very helpful.

um, heres some renders of the charcter with the texport texture on, and a resized version of the unwrap (original version is 1024x1024) i've made some slight alterations to the structure and the poly counts about 50 or so lower.

yes i am working on christmas day!

samgrice
12-30-2003, 01:57 AM
Well its taken me quite a while, but i've finnally got a near-complete version of the texture to show. Its taken me bloody adges and this is my first character texture so please give me as many comments/advice as possible. oh i used the tutorial eric gave me as a rough guide to the skin.

the hands are completly unfinished (will unwrap again), i havent got rid of the joins on the skin, boot and trouser textures, and the buckle and kneepads are just roughed out for now.

but please, advice?

thankyou.

oh and kudos to anyone who reconises the logo on the belt (i might have to change it for copyright and such)

*edit* latest progress on next page

Manky
12-30-2003, 12:17 PM
hi sam hope u had a good Christmas!

the character looks well good!! well done! but dunno if it suppose 2, but i can see a line where the torso joins up 2 the arms, but still looks good anyhow!

hav fun rigging it!

samgrice
01-01-2004, 05:05 PM
yeah its still unfinished so i'm working on that

Omita
01-01-2004, 07:50 PM
It looks good but I think it could use some more contrast.

Maybe a scar or tatoo or something.

-Omita

SecretAgent
01-02-2004, 02:41 AM
nice job Sam!

the kneepads and boots seem kinda bland/plain (I'm sure you're working on them though). I also think the skin needs a little more contrast, right now it's looking kind of flat like a photograph does. Maybe just some small highlights and deeper shadow variation.

I would also add a lot of scars and maybe a couple bloody bandages considering the scenarior you're putting him in.

Seriously though, it's looking very good so far.

samgrice
01-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys!, well heres the latest update, i've just got to get the head tones sorted out and maybe add some stubble there. I might also add some scars and tatoos before i'm done.

But what do you think? i've matched the skine tones up around the body and improved the kneepads and belt (among other things)

thanks

*edit* latest update below

ido
01-08-2004, 05:50 PM
great work here :) the textures are very good

RmachucaA
01-08-2004, 06:07 PM
yep, definitely top notch texturing there.

SecretAgent
01-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Sam! hey it's looking a lot better now - the skin tone is looking pretty good. His kneepads are looking a little too stark in contrast compared to the rest of the texture though and the boots seem a little too plain.

I would say either bump up the contrast on the whole texture to match the kneepads or the reverse (the kneepads just don't match properly).

Also, I think you should add some wrinkles/folds on the boots where the ankle bends and some mud splatters to the bottom edge.

I still think you should beat this guy up too - he could really use some bloody scars and bandage wraps. I think that would really help fit his profile more.

Anyways, it's great work so far. Keep it up and it'll be a great portfolio peice.

Konstruct
01-08-2004, 08:45 PM
god those textures are really god damn good-
the modeling is not too shabby either-

the whole thing just seems to be lacking flavor for some reason though.
id say the first thing that need some stuff is the head mask-
how is it all being held on his head? "Think" resperator straps maybe-?

I`m also thinking that the skulls on the kneecaps are a little corney- maybe a series of bolts in the upper half would look cooler?

and finally the body needs something, ive stared at it forever and th only thing i can come up with is scars, tats, or bangades.- kinda clicet- but maybe you can figure out a tatoo that is original and not the same old tribal shlok. (maybe the words "drive by" in old english across his back -hehe)

oh and a side note- did you try fingerless gloves??
anyways it looks awesome and you should keep going with it. its far from being in danger of overworking it-

samgrice
01-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys!

yeah the improvements you all mentioned would benefit the model, i'll try and get some of them done if i had time, i've got alot to do and the deadlines next friday!!!

thanks

samgrice
01-13-2004, 11:20 AM
well, heres probably the last update i'll make of the character for now. i still need to fix the head seems and maybe change the tattoo, but i'll do that later, for some nice posed renders.

tell me what you think:

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/stuff/character_samgrice09.jpg

SammyB
01-13-2004, 12:37 PM
Hmm, maybe it's just the angle, but the nipple seems to be a bit too low down or something? Anyway, textures look good, love the knee-pad/skulls. :P

SecretAgent
01-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Sam, nice job! The scars and stuff help out a lot. Heh, isn't that the Ultramarine symbol on is right arm, is this guy a space marine? (I'm sure it's from something else but, I don't know what.)

RmachucaA
01-13-2004, 05:01 PM
"no fate" or "no faith"?

samgrice
01-14-2004, 12:34 PM
thanks guys!

well its the omega symbol as far as i know, but the ultramarines use it as well.

i've almost finished the animation he's in (if MAX stops ****ing with me!!) so that should be up soon.

watch this space!! :)

commy
01-14-2004, 02:56 PM
are they photo textures? (pants/body) if not can u give us some tips cus the pants and skin are very nice indeed

samgrice
01-15-2004, 04:34 PM
yeah the kecks are made from photo composoting, but the skin uses photos only for muscle defenition. its a mix of a texture bake, skintones, photos and "the magic layer". theres a link to a tutorial on the first page of this thread, that will show you how to do the magic layer.

:)

samgrice
01-26-2004, 03:48 PM
hey guys i finished the animation his in and started a thread for it, you can find it here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=118451) thanks

Sam

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.