PDA

View Full Version : bump mapping in PS

Trambott
12-21-2003, 11:00 AM
was just curious, is there a way to I suppose make your image 3d by use of bump mapping, ie like in a 3d package when you apply a bump map to a flat plane it makes it 3d. Is there someway in PS to make this happen, I notice with some of the filters you can get a 3d look to things, but the problem I have no idea how to control these filters, is there a way to do this using black and white maps to control the depth and hight of the surface like in 3d? Because if there is it would make my life alot easier.
Thanks in advance.

Ian Jones
12-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Yes there certainly is. Placing your grayscale bumpmap in a new channel, go back to the layer you wish to apply the effect to and go: Filter > Render > Lighting Effects. You should be able to work it out from there.

Trambott
12-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Ian you are the man, thanks heaps for the tip on how to do this.

Gibbz
12-22-2003, 06:30 AM
very nifty indeed :)

neomato
12-30-2003, 09:58 AM
How do i make a new channel? I have no idea how to work with channels, i never had to.

wolver1ne
12-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Window > Channels

Click a "New Channel" button there to create a new channel.

You really should read Help for such simple questions.

neomato
12-30-2003, 11:20 AM
And where would that button be? Anyway I did check out help and I did find the button before reading your reply. Ive been trying how to make bump map for quite some time now i even tried to make my own patterns files to use with the blending options bevel and emboss texture option but they wouldn't work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.