PDA

View Full Version : Where's the "how to build a worksation" thread???.. need help...

anoe_nomus
12-21-2003, 05:08 AM
sory for adding another verbose "what hardware i should buy thread" but i need a little help...
b4 u read this, u can simply give me some links on how to build a workstation.... i will research myself, i just cannot find anything on google. or read on.
well.... i plan to build a winblows based workstation (unfortunately linux just does not have too much support from developers outhere :cry: )

i just need to know the basics about the usual suspects... mobo, ram, HD, etc... any links will help
BTW... i've googled, and all i get are links to price comparisons, and other non-sense sh!t....
gotta built b4 dec 27th-29th, so ANY help or links would be greatly appreciated.
budget = $1500-1700 USD
no need to elaborate too much, just things like AMD over Intel and a bit of specs; or ATI over nVidia etc (price/performance ratio)....

or any RELEVANT links.
thanx guys

:bowdown:

iC4
12-21-2003, 12:49 PM
what will you do with your workstation? what software will you use?..................

anoe_nomus
12-21-2003, 05:37 PM
the usual suspects... Maya, Shake, PS, Wings3d, BodyPaint
QuickTime etc...
this will not be for personal use. (i.e. not even internet access wil be on this machine... maybe connected to a small home network)
i don't want to go and buy a BOXX system and pay an extra 400-500 just because the name "BOXX" is slapped on the machine.
so i would rather built my own, i think it's a better (and cheaper) investment.
thnx
:hmm:

dvornik
12-21-2003, 06:01 PM
The simplest thing to do is go to Alienware and get exactly the same basic components as one of their DCC workstations. Boxx sells all sorts of workstations, but last time I've checked they don't list their motherboards. AMD or Intel, dual or single etc is discussed here all the time. The thing is - you can go with whatever you like and noone can tell you what's "the ultimate workstation". At $1700 you'll need to decide what compromises to make.

Sieb
12-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Have you searched the forum? I have posted many links on this topic.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTM1

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.