PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-realism?

MasterZap
06-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Well, vintage 1991, that is

And whats more interesting is that I wrote the software to render it myself.

Comments welcome, even though it's "laughable" by todays standards.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap/rtk/kaphe1.jpg

Info on the software which was called RayTracker is here (http://www.master-zap.com/rtk.html)

It was kinda nifty.. back then. Dont remember the hour-count to render this pic tho :)

/Z

Dave Black
06-18-2002, 09:33 PM
WOW!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Grey
06-18-2002, 10:09 PM
"Laughable" is relative... I suppose the guys who wrote Entropy, or are working with SubSurfaceScattering might find it "laughable.."

but it's a raytrace engine! Sheesh... PRender man didn't even have Raytrace till recently :D

I'd say "Nifty" is a damn fine way of describing the work you put into it :D

Dave Black
06-18-2002, 10:26 PM
I agree with Grey...Nothing Laughable about this post.

I say Nifty also!!

:buttrock:

Array
06-18-2002, 11:10 PM
Actually Entropy's GI engine is quite laughable.......It's just a path tracing algorithm which can take HOURS to render a simple, allbeit noisy, scene. Im kind of surprised at larry gritz.....

MasterZap
06-19-2002, 06:30 AM
Hey thanks guys :)

W. RayTracker you built everything in AutoCAD using all sorts of funky special primitives made for RayTracker.... and exported to DXF, and rendered. (It even did CSG solid boolean stuff at render time because it traced the ray into and out of the various primitives and figured out which of the surfaces it hit in the boolean was actually visible... :applause: )

One of the cool features it had was that when it rendered, it started by every 8:th pixel, then filled in every 4:th, then every 2:nd e.t.c.... that way you could quickly "see" if your image looked okay-ish and give up quickly and change your scene. (There was no material preview functions or anything, of course, you had to render to see anything, basically)

Another cool feature, due to it's raytracing nature in the day of 20Mhz processors, was the "pause" function... you could stop the rendering, save the state, shut down the machine or do other work (this was in the DOS days, not windows or multi tasking you see :) ) and then go back and continue the rendering later from where you left off.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap/benjimus.jpg

/Z

MasterZap
06-23-2002, 03:12 PM
*sneeeze*

Ooops, damned allergies. Sorry.

/Z

iLL
06-23-2002, 04:01 PM
MasterZap, take your pills ;)

No but seriously ... I dont think its laughable at all. Looks pretty sweet ... ahhh ... becomming all nostalgic here ;)

w00t w00t?! :bounce:

MaskTX
06-23-2002, 06:01 PM
Hmm....

Grayson
06-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Laughable?!? Not even close, I mean come on; you wrote your own raytracer! That's damn cool! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.