PDA

View Full Version : How to create a Win9x boot CD?

CourtJester
12-20-2003, 09:02 PM
I need to create a Windows 95 or 98 boot CD in order to update my Tyan S2466N-4M BIOS. The latter's flash utility will not work under any other boot OS (rather stupid, considering that dually users are far more likely to be using Win2k or XP). My system is all-Win2k NTFS.

It needs to be a CD because my system has no floppy.

I have already tried creating Win9x bootdisks using disk images available online, but these all assume that they are on floppies, as Win9x was never originally configured to run on CD. Moreover, my version of Nero Burning ROM (5.5.10) doesn't use the whole disk image when I use it to create a boot CD; it only uses the boot sector from the image file.

If I get around that problem by extracting the image files using WinImage and adding them manually, I still end up with "Disk I/O Error".

So now what?

Does it have something to do with the various "emulation" modes in Nero? If so, which should I use? I tried "Floppy Emulation 1.44MB" first, no luck.

How do I force Nero to use an entire disk image file?

I've had no luck Googling this so far, all I end up with are links to the same bootdisk files on the same sites.

projectcoil
12-20-2003, 09:09 PM
Win9x/NT/XP are all bootable. Go into your BIOS and set your first boot device to CD-ROM and it should load up.

projectcoil
12-20-2003, 09:20 PM
Or hit F8 during start up and select boot to DOS and you can upgrade your BIOS from there.

dvornik
12-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Let me know how you resolve it cause it's a rather common problem these days.

See if this helps:
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

If you have access to another computer with a floppy (I know it's not exactly what you're looking for):
http://www.bay-wolf.com/bootcd.htm
It worked for me when I needed a bootable HD diagnostic CD.

CourtJester
12-20-2003, 11:28 PM
Win9x/NT/XP are all bootable. Go into your BIOS and set your first boot device to CD-ROM and it should load up.

The CD needs to have a bootable bootsector for that first. Merely copying files does nothing.

Or hit F8 during start up and select boot to DOS and you can upgrade your BIOS from there.

No such option under win2k. My system is all Win2k. The mobo manufacturer's flash utility specifically will work only under win95 or 98. No DOS, and no win2k/NT/XP.

Dvornik, I do not have access to any floppy system. I've been to the nu2.nu site, but it's one of those overwrought multifarious utilities designed to do about a thousand times what I need (I'm still trying to figure that one out). Indeed, its front page tells me that I should use Nero!

I have seven coasters sitting here thanks to Nero. "Disk I/O error, Replace Disk."

If anybody knows how to force the latter to burn a proper bootable CD from an image file (instead of just the bootsector), I'd love to know too.

Sieb
12-20-2003, 11:44 PM
http://www.shaneo.com/bootdisks/

I use wboot98se, you can either have it write to a floppy and boot from that floppy, or have it make an boot.img which you have have nero write as a bootable cd (telling it to use that img file for the boot image). I would suggest grabbing the smartdrive file off the win98 or win2k cd and adding it in there, makes installs go 10x faster (will cache files like xcopy instead of copy one at a time).

CourtJester
12-21-2003, 12:10 AM
Nero (or the version I have) does not seem to burn images, it only grabs the bootsector from the specified image file. When I specify the image and click "New" the window is empty, instead of showing the files in the image, as I'd expect.

CourtJester
12-21-2003, 01:36 AM
OK, here's the link that will get you up and runnning if you need a Win98 type bootable CD:

DrD's Bootable CD page (http://www.drd.dyndns.org/fr_index.html?/howto/cdboot.html)

The strange thing about Nero, is that when it burns a CD image, the files in that image will not show up in Nero's disk layout window, nor will they be visible in Explorer once the disk is burned. If you add files into the layout before you burn it, those will be visible, BUT...

...once the CD boots up, you can ONLY see the files that were in that disk image file, and any files you added in the layout are NOT.

So, if you need to add or subtract files to the bootable volume, use WinImage to edit the disk image and create your own custom image file. Then, use Nero to burn that.

All I needed from the 288.ima file, were msdos.sys, io.sys and command.com, and I got the clean Win98 environment that the Tyan flash utility required. Now I can complete the CPU upgrade.

P.S. when figuring this sort of issue out, CD-RW disks make more sense :rolleyes: :D

Sieb
12-21-2003, 01:54 AM
yea, I forgot the util makes an IMZ file when nero needs an IMA file. The IMA file is actually inside the IMZ file, IIRC Adaptecs burning software burns the IMZ fine, or you use fireburner. Neros weird like that. I usually just make floppies because (NOTE) when you boot from a cd, The A drive is actually the boot sector on the cdrom, not an actual floppy drive so you can't read from a real floppy. At least thats what I always run into. Some older machines don't boot from cd either. All the real bootdisks I use for systems are custom built kinda like what you did because I threw some other stuff in there (like smartdrv). Also, in nero, since its a bootsector, it wont show up in the preview pane like normal cds, its part of the format of the cd, not the layout.

The files you add to a bootable cd are there, they just aren't in the booted sector, they are actually mounted in the cdrom sector so they show up under drive E or so, depending on what letter is used for the ramdrive. Glad you got it figured out though, trial by fire. :p

CourtJester
12-21-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Sieb
yea, I forgot the util makes an IMZ file when nero needs an IMA file. The IMA file is actually inside the IMZ file, IIRC Adaptecs burning software burns the IMZ fine, or you use fireburner. Neros weird like that.

You can use WinImage to convert between .IMZ and .IMA files, that's what I did (it also edits the image files, so you can build your own). The upgrade is completed, I'm now running on dual 2200+ instead of 1800+, finally!

dvornik
12-21-2003, 05:23 AM
Weren't you using winimage from the beginning? So basically you get the image file (288.ima), add the extra files with winimage and burn?

CourtJester
12-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by dvornik
Weren't you using winimage from the beginning? So basically you get the image file (288.ima), add the extra files with winimage and burn?

Yep. The guy who made it says to use the 2.88MB floppy image for the extra space for utilities etc. So I used Winimage both to add the BIOS files, and then to save out the new version in Nero-friendly .IMA format.

dvornik
12-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks. It's good to know.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.