PDA

View Full Version : I culd give you FREE reference pictures!

Henrik Hörlin
06-18-2002, 08:06 PM
Hi everybody!
A thought occured to me a coupple of days back... and I canīt remember what it was...

Kidding!
There is alot of talk about photorealistic renderings and photorealistic textures and photorealistic this and that. And I was thinking like this: If one really want photorealistic they would take a picture with a camera and use that. But not everybody has a (digital) camera and/or scanner to do this. The only options left would be to either scan the internet for suitable pictures, (major drag), BUY your textures, ($$$$$$$) OR make the textures yourself.
Besides when you take a picture you canīt have shadows, wrong light a.s.o. when taking the picture. This means a studio. ($$$*$$$$).
If there are more people like our TEXTURE GODESS, Leigh, that want to make there own textures you still have to know what your texture shuld look like. You need reference pictures!
This is where I come in.
I got a fairly good digital camera and an urge to help my fellow CGchannel enthusiats. I also work in a fairly interesting geographical area with TONS of potential pictures of nice worn down industrial brick houses (and other things). And I like driving around absorbing atmospheres all over my home town (Gothenburg). I.E. more reference pictures!

Bottom line: Would it be a good idea to post pictures of things and places from reference pictures POV here on CGtalk? I culd even do requests if itīs not too extreme.
My thought was to post 5-6 pictures every 2-3 days of an item or enviroment. Good idea?

I think I need somewhere to uppload them to... The pics will not exeed 120K/a peice but if Iīm supposed to do this for a while, itīs gonna pile up pretty quick so I canīt use attachments, Or?

Henrik Hörlin
06-18-2002, 08:12 PM
To give you an example.

leigh
06-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Hey Henrik, that is a very considerate offer, and a cool idea too! Hmmm... I think the best way to go about it would be to contact Leonard Teo (leonard@cgchannel.com) and ask him about web space because these images would indeed be too big for posting straight here as attachments.
I think that maybe CG Channel should consider having a section specifically for this. Ask Leo about it :)

Theta
06-19-2002, 12:11 AM
great idea, thanks :)

yjanse
06-20-2002, 02:49 PM
:lightbulb: Yeah, great idea !
But the storage is a problem, but bandwidth even more.
Imagine that most texturemaps are at least one MB, even viewing them would take up a few GB bandwidth when you have a lot of them. When people are also gonna download them, it would be even more.

My idea: let people submit, but require a JPEG thumbnail (Or crop, which is better) of max 50kb to go with their submission.
Then the TIFF or TGA files (or whatever) will only be transferred when people want to download the complete thing.

Just my opinion...

yJ

Henrik Hörlin
06-20-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by yjanse
:lightbulb: Yeah, great idea !
But the storage is a problem, but bandwidth even more.
Imagine that most texturemaps are at least one MB, even viewing them would take up a few GB bandwidth when you have a lot of them. When people are also gonna download them, it would be even more.

My idea: let people submit, but require a JPEG thumbnail (Or crop, which is better) of max 50kb to go with their submission.
Then the TIFF or TGA files (or whatever) will only be transferred when people want to download the complete thing.

Just my opinion...

yJ

Well... first off:
Iīm NOT going to give you texturemaps, I thought of REFERENCE pictures witch is NOT the same thing.
My reference pictures were to give an idea of how things look in real life in the enviroment they are in.
Whatīs the point? Well... many times Iīve sat down and tried to make a quick simple texture and thought: "This looks like shit! Why?" If I had a reference picture I culd see that it needs more wear and tear, grease, dirt, smother, more shiny or what ever.
We all know what a weathered brick wall looks like but isnīt it still hard to get it right?

So since these pictures isnīt going to be used in a scene they donīt need to be that big. The JPGs Iīm talking about wonīt exeed 150Kb.
But that is still too much for posting here every other day... :(

Still a good idea?

psil
06-20-2002, 07:14 PM
Yes please!

yjanse
06-21-2002, 06:51 AM
Alright, I misunderstood.

I do aagree with you, but indeed the problem remains, be it on a different level.

yJ

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.