PDA

View Full Version : Smiffy, Gary Roylance (3D)

clearairstudio
05-28-2013, 12:42 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g07/502907/502907_1369741373_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g07/502907/502907_1369741373_large.jpg)

Title: Smiffy
Name: Gary Roylance
Software: Maya, Mudbox, Photoshop

A 3D Character developed from an existing 2D Character Design. The image is to be used for a life size, in-store point of sale display. Created and rigged in Maya with a bit of work in Mudbox. Final composite in Photoshop.

AJ1
05-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Hey man,

The eyes look uncomfortably close together. Is there a reason the hand only has 3 fingers? Usually the 3 fingers gets used on animal characters. Is that meant to be a baseball cap on the head?

The texturing and shading look nice. Sorry to be harsh about the model though.

-AJ

clearairstudio
05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your comments.

The design of the character was an existing, established 2D cartoon so we didn't have much leeway in changing it.

As for the fingers, can't say I agree with you on that. Check out Family Guy and count the fingers. Also, at a later stage, this is going to be animated so the three fingers was the way to go.

AJ1
05-29-2013, 02:18 PM
No worries.

Sometimes you can model the eyes like this when there isn't any space between the eyes in your drawings.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_679/1333361539U76qaK.jpg

-AJ

clearairstudio
05-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeah, the eyes were always a problem area. Again as it is going to be animated and it needed the ability to blink a good few versions were tried. The final version was the best compromise for this. We also had quite a bit of feedback that the version with no clear division between the eyes freaked some people out while others had no opinion.

AJ
05-29-2013, 03:46 PM
I agree with the other AJ that the eyes look very strange. They are't looking at the viewer but out in different directions which gives a glazed expression. I don't think it helps that the pupils look as though they are physically painted on (making him look plastic) and the shadow around the whites of the eyes also makes them look fake.

Personally, I don't mind three fingers on human characters and the original concept shows that these can work absolutely fine. On your version the fingers are rather thin, especially compared to the size of the palm which makes it look a bit as though he's had a finger removed.

I realise it can be difficult to translate a 2d cartoon to a 3d character but looking back between your execution and the original design a lot of the charm has been lost, mainly in the face. Ignoring the addition of the bridge between the eyes, their shape is symmetrical and almost rectangular. Compared to the rounded, asymmetrical arches of the original I think these lose a lot of appeal.

The same applies to the mouth, the 2d concept has an open mouth, pushing the cheeks up into a happy smile but the 3d version is a half smile, not really impacting the rest of his face and I think this contributes to the slightly glazed expression.

All that said, his body and pose look fine - he has a nice solid stance and his shoes look really good!

clearairstudio
05-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks Alex, your crit is very much appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2013, 04:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.