PDA

View Full Version : Rigging and animation question

kassun
12-20-2003, 07:02 AM
I have my characted all rigged and I have looked at other ppls rig's that have a nurbs circle at the base that when selected will grab the entire character all handles and locators. How do i go about this, is it just taking the simple mel commmands ex: select R_wrist_control_locator and so on and compiling a script that when excuted will grab everything?

Also I have almost finished my run and walk cycles and plan on putting my character through an obsticel course, he will be doing flips ect, how do i go about constraining him to a cube that i can rotate to ease in the animation to control his body rotations ect..
I hope these two questions make some sense.

Thanks,
Kassun

modi
12-20-2003, 07:57 AM
hello kassun, in answer to ur first question, the nurbscirlce does not trigger any mel scripts nor does it select all the controls, its just a hirarchy thing. I usually select the Root joint, all my IK handles, and group it under the nurbs cirlce thingy.
In that way u can move his whole body easlily and if the rig is not too complicated u can scale it too. (Just don't group the skinned geometry under it) .

I don't quite understand the second question , but i'm assuming u want to create a controller to move him around. u could do this by simply parenting the root to the cube (although i don't recommend that) Use constraints, they keep things more organized.

Hope that helps.

kassun
12-21-2003, 12:01 AM
thanks modi.

To clarify on my second question, I will have my character doing summersalts and flips, and i want an effective way of roatating him as he spins. Is constraing the way to go? I would assume an aim constraint would work.

Thanks,
Kassun

modi
12-21-2003, 01:42 AM
the best way to do it is actually key frame it frame by frame for complex motion as a flip. I'm woudn't recommend rotating a node above the root node to achieve this. Do it frame by frame, rotate the root node, then the legs, key everything on one frame, go to the next frame, rotate a lil more, key everything. Works a lot better that way and easy to move the timing around, but thats just my animation workflow. Cheers.

kassun
12-22-2003, 05:06 AM
thanks Modi for the help :)

Kassun

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.