PDA

View Full Version : military: ww2 strategy game models

baddog
12-20-2003, 04:28 AM
Here is my latest project, a set of low poly models for a ww2 rts game. the first picture is the models flat texture mapped, the second is with a normal mapping applied.. I currently dislike the white t34 texture quite a lot in the flat image.. theres a green 'summer' paintscheme on the way for that one

approximate triangle polycounts..

T34 tank: 1200
Schwimmwagen: 850
Zis3 gun: 800
Marder2 spg: 1000
Infantry: 600
house: 150
tree: 75

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~funkfurr/shaun/ww2nomaps.jpg
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~funkfurr/shaun/ww2normalmaps.jpg

Shaun

SidewinderX143
12-20-2003, 05:17 AM
very nice..... what game/mod is theis for?

pyraxis
12-20-2003, 07:30 AM
Can we get some closeups on the figures? The house and the vehicles are really good. I especially like the corner of the roof that's falling apart. But at this size at least, the people look too stiff and clean...

JonasNoell
12-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Could I see the wireframes because I don't believe you that polycounts ;)

baddog
12-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Thanks.. the people are still a bit of a 'work in progress' and not very well boned and animated yet. the hole in the roof is done using a clipmap (with one underlying 'girder' as an object)

Im flattered that you dont believe the polycounts, thats about the best thing someone could say I think :) my technique (based on building and texturing a highly detailed master model, and using that to bake a texture onto the low poly model) can give some very nice results, especially on things like the scwimmwagen..

Ill post a wire-overlaid frame and maybe a closer view of the infantry in a while

Shaun

baddog
12-20-2003, 01:12 PM
Wire overlay shot with texture removed, and normal map still present.. the polys are not triangulated at this point, but the counts I gave about are for triangulated versions.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~funkfurr/shaun/wireshot.jpg

Closer shot of infantry.. as you can see theres still work to do here!

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~funkfurr/shaun/infclose.jpg

Shaun

JonasNoell
12-20-2003, 05:25 PM
Well, I must admit, that is well done!

RmachucaA
12-20-2003, 06:13 PM
good stuff, and texturing is top notch.

Prs-Phil
12-21-2003, 01:54 AM
very well done but itīs kinda new to me that Normalmapping will work for a RTS (in the question of performance)

baddog
12-21-2003, 02:03 AM
If the project flies it would be at least 2 years before release, so the base spec wouldnt hopefully be too low. the normal mapping MIGHT have to go by the board if the unit counts are high and the camera angles/distance sufficiently 'elevated', and its always optional, in fact at common rts camera distances its sometimes hard to tell the difference between normal mapped and non.. The whole issue of the implications of that technology is a complex one, but it isnt something one can afford to ignore for the future for sure.

Shaun

nathan 3d
12-21-2003, 05:32 PM
my technique (based on building and texturing a highly detailed master model, and using that to bake a texture onto the low poly model) can give some very nice results, especially on things like the scwimmwagen..

Could you make a short walk-through/tutorial on this? I am bigtime when it comes to detailed low-poly objects and I would love to learn this. Just an email telling me some more about it with tips would be great. I can look up the texture baking process myself. And the object I am the modt interested in is of course the house.

And these objects are great! I actualy think the tank texture looks good in a WW2 way. But a green one might be better.

baddog
12-21-2003, 10:53 PM
okay the basic technique rests on three things. one is a REALLY good, well textured, high poly master, the second is a low poly model that neatly matches the main contours of the high poly master and has a nice clean UV map defined, the third is a plugin like 'microwave' or the 3ds equivalent, that can 'projection render' one to the other. there are many subtleties, associated mainly with lighting, which I am still working on myself (you want lighting to bring out the 3d details, but not to provide large shadows that will clash with the scene lighting). of course if you use the normal mapping and your engine will have real shadow generation then you can greatly reduce the amount of shadowing needed in the colour texture, whereas if you are to flat shade it you will need a bit of 'oomph' in the texture map.

the basic process is

1: build and texture high poly master (by far the longest part)
2: build and uvmap a low poly version
3: projection render the two models together, producing both colour and normal maps if wanted (often I find they need breaking into parts to help with lighting issues)
4: 'merge' any seperate projections into single texture sheets, then do the photoshop 'thang' till they are to your satisfaction!
5: rinse and repeat.. ermm I mean render your low poly model with its maps and 'wow'

Shaun

baddog
12-21-2003, 11:16 PM
I should add that the projection rendering isnt totally essential, as it requires a commercial plugin. it is possible (and I have done so often) to create uvmaps that are all 'flat', then render pictures of your high poly model from matching angles, and manually cut all this together in photoshop to make a texture map. this actually works extremely well for models that arent extremely complex in shape (such as buildings etc)

Shaun

baddog
12-22-2003, 02:24 AM
a quick request while Im in this thread. any of you aware of any good information on ground texturing/modelling? Its falling badly behind the standard of the rest of my stuff, and Im a bit 'lost in space' about it. basically stuff about creating really convincing natural looking terrain over a large area (avoiding stupid 'tiled' looks)

Shaun

nathan 3d
12-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the tips.

For landscape modeling I usualy use displacement maps. Its a verry simple way of doing it.

as for texturing... make large texture sheets for the entire level. Mabey four 1024x1024 or one 2048x2048 texture sheet. One for each corner. This way you won't get any tiling. But you have to have a engine that can suport this. I am sure even just one 1024x1024 texture would look fine.

In the game motocross madness 2 we used one texture map for the entire terain. Only ONE 512x512 texture for these large enviroments and they still looked good.

Hope that helps.

CADster
12-22-2003, 10:24 PM
The Schwimmwagen looks like it would be higher in polycounts ... you did a great job on that model !!!!!

(i did one and it clocked in at about 700 .. a very good feat when you look at what all is on a Schwimmwagen thats needs to be modeled)

I also like your trees !!!!

great work

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.