PDA

View Full Version : trouble with targa files....

claytondouglas
12-20-2003, 03:27 AM
I have an issue maybe someone can help me with. About 2 months ago I bought a Plextor DVD burner and began backing up every project Ive ever done to data DVDs, particularly the targa sequences. All of my footage is now on these DVDs and today when I tried to import a sequence into After Effects 5.5 it gave me an ominous warning ....it read

Warning: After Effects can not parse the output file module
35:40

When I tried to open in Photoshop 7 and Premier 6.....I got the same warning. Each giving a separately worded error....but usually involving "could not parse out put module"
Please someone out there tell me that I havent somehow fried all of my footage.....if need be I can email a sample targa for anyone to try to play with.
thanks
clayton

DaForce
12-20-2003, 07:27 AM
I would suggest that you copy some of the targa files to your harddrive and then try to import them into aftereffects.

See how that goes.

claytondouglas
12-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Thats the first thing I did....no luck!

jbw
12-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Hmm... have you tried something other than Adobe software? Try opening one of them in Paintshop Pro perhaps or something else? I've had this error before with other file formats, paintshop pro has normally rescued me.

ta,
jbw

claytondouglas
12-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Ill try it although I dont have access to that program....Ill see if Commotion will take it in the meantime.....if you have that software...could I email one of the targas to you?

gmask
12-20-2003, 10:43 PM
I was "burned" ina similair way with some noname brand DVDR discs.. beware of cheap DVD media they may not be compatible. After burning 25 discs I discovered about half of them will not mount. From now on I will only use TDK or Sony brand. Fortunately I had not thrown away most of the stuff that had been backed up.

claytondouglas
12-20-2003, 10:47 PM
Im not so lucky.....I trashed all of it so I could free up room. I used TDK dvds too. There outta be someone to sue.....just kidding

gmask
12-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by claytondouglas
Im not so lucky.....I trashed all of it so I could free up room. I used TDK dvds too. There outta be someone to sue.....just kidding

Scary.. what write speed is your Plextor? does it take nboth DVD-R and DVD+R.. I still don't quite understand the difference but I don't think mine likes DVD-R even though it says it's compatible.

I may just go back to buying new harddrives instead of writting everything to DVD's

claytondouglas
12-20-2003, 11:29 PM
it writes 4x....its a 504UF. I just realized though...it may not have been the writer but the disk. Turns out only one disk was messed up...and it happens to be a Mitsubishi +r that snuk into a TDK case....major bummer.
Well...haste makes waste.....I shouldve checked that stuff before i tossed it.....stupid.

Moral of the story......only use brand name discs. and NEVER USE A MITSUBISHI DISC!

THANKS EVERYONE WHO REPLIED....BUT I THINK THIS IS A DONE DEAL.
happy holidays
c

jbw
12-22-2003, 12:04 PM
I don't know DVD's coz I've never burnt one but you can download a demo of Paintshop Pro @

www.jasc.com/download_4.asp?prod=K-PSP8-USDIR

alternatively you can can email it to me at work... my address is in my profile.

ta,
jbw

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.