PDA

View Full Version : The Art of National Geographic: Christopher Sloan

Leonard
12-20-2003, 01:09 AM
Hi all,

CGNetworks has just posted an article on the art of National Geographic magazine. We interview Chris Sloan, Senior Editor for Art, who not only is a distinguished member of the advisory committee for EXPOSE' 2, but who has used EXPOSE' 1 to seek out CG talent to hire for National Geographic Magazine - showing how prevalent EXPOSE' is as a tool for hiring artists!

>> The Art of National Geographic: Christopher Sloan << (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1852)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2003_12/chrissloane/header1.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1852)

Icarus
12-20-2003, 03:56 AM
Tats Pretty interesting... Great Read and great insight into what goes on behind the scens :)

Tnx Cgnetworks!

Adam
12-20-2003, 04:16 AM
yeah really interesting. God expose 2 is going to be great.

Matt Leishman
12-20-2003, 06:21 AM
"Christopher Sloan, the Senior Editor for Art at National Geographic Magazine heads up a department of four art directors, three art researchers, and two support staff, who commission freelance artists and also execute final art using 3D applications like Alias Maya."

I'm one of these freelancers!! Wow, seeing this article was a real treat. Myself and 2 other fantastic artists and 1 producer for the operation have been working with Chris for the past year, and its been a great ride. We weren't recruited through Expose 1, we were just lucky enough to have some great work fall into our lap from the folks at NG. I don't believe I can talk too much about what we are working on until it goes live, but its pretty wild stuff, especially after the emaculate texturing of Mr. Colby Acree (not to downplay the superb modeling of Mr. Bryan Allen, I was just the meager rigger on the project).

Anyways, its awesome to see that only greater work is gonna come out of NG (that's what we've been calling them for the past year) due to the efforts of Ballistic in publishing the Expose books.

Keep the great art coming guys (and gals)!!

Annuostivix
12-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Hey, under related links, when I click National Geographic Magazine, it is a dead link. But anyhow, good article. I would like being involved in some of these things that go on.

The link for the National Geo mag is http://www.cgnetworks.com/www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/

I know how to fix that for myself, but you know, someone else might click it and get all confused. I don't know.

PixelShader
12-20-2003, 09:55 AM
Looks like they fixed it. CGNetworks is a massive site, it happens. :buttrock:

Awesome stuff getting the endorsement of National Geographic though! It's staggers me to know that such high level people are using EXPOSE to look for artists. Great work!

Geoff

Equinoxx
12-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Great Article, particularly love the dutch cover used in above graphic hehe for those that don't understand, it says 'Spiders - Deadly Silk, OR, Spiders - The Deadly Side' hehe

cheers man, great to see some non movie/game related CG use covered on CGNetworks.

ivo D
12-20-2003, 05:02 PM
.. nice, nice:D.. eej .. i see the cover of the dutch version.. . ?! how come, is it stationed in the netherlands.. or.. ?

caus i didnt know it.. only know the tv channel national Geographic :rolleyes: :surprised

Rhino169
12-20-2003, 06:19 PM
:beer:

Very cool article!

And sithwarlord...maybe after your stuff goes live you can give us some insight into it and a link, sounds very interesting!:buttrock:

Matt Leishman
12-21-2003, 04:50 AM
Rhino,

I can't wait for it to go live, and I'll do my best to let y'all know when it does, 'cause its pretty cool stuff.

MarkSnoswell
12-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone. We are thrilled that people like National Geographic are useing EXPOSÉ and this web site to find artists!

Our overall goal it to enhance the global digital arts community -- and showing peoples work in the best way and atracting potential employers is exactly the sort of thing we want.

If any of the EXPOSÉ artists have stories of how the book has helped them in any way we would all love to hear about it ! :)

...and we are stoked at having NG join the Advisory Board for EXPOSÉ 2.

PixelShader
12-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Mark.Snoswell
Hi everyone. We are thrilled that people like National Geographic are useing EXPOSÉ and this web site to find artists!

Our overall goal it to enhance the global digital arts community -- and showing peoples work in the best way and atracting potential employers is exactly the sort of thing we want.

If any of the EXPOSÉ artists have stories of how the book has helped them in any way we would all love to hear about it ! :)

...and we are stoked at having NG join the Advisory Board for EXPOSÉ 2.

Congratulations Mark, Leo and everyone at Ballistic for truly pushing this industry forward!

Geoff

Neil
12-22-2003, 02:21 PM
I just wanted to say that i think it's real classy of you to put a yellow border around the front page image. :thumbsup:
(and i'm not being sarcastic)

Wonderer
12-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Its certainly good news to know that Expose is coresponding to its purpose, I think I will make some more submitions.:bounce:

hbeachman
06-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Hello
I was a intern last year at NatGeo in the Art Depart and was working with Chris Sloan. He handed me the first Expose I ever saw which I thought was terrific and he had alot of respect for the book so it was good to see him in the article. He is very forward thinking in regard to the digital arts and has a fantastic eye for art so it great that he thinks so positivly about it all.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.