PDA

View Full Version : rotate Joint axis after skinning? Help needed!

MCGrund
12-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Hi there,
I've got the following problem. As you can see in the picture the rotation axis should be at an angle (white curve) and not straight as it is right now (red curve). Unfortunately I only realized this after I had already finished setting up the joints and skinning all the fingers. Now when I want to move a finger it's a pretty messy business as I have to rotate all three axes in order to get a decent joint rotation.
http://www.mcgrund.de/cgtalk/handproblem.jpg
Now I wonder if there is a way to change the rotation axes afterwards. I would hate to have to skin the whole hand once more.
I Hope somebody can help me.

modi
12-19-2003, 09:56 PM
1) Export Skin wts(get it at highend3d.com) ,
2) Detach Skin
3) fix LRA(Local rotation axis)
4) Rebind Skin
5) Import Skin wts(also at highend3d.com)

Hope that helps.

MCGrund
12-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks modi, you made my day:thumbsup:

dwalden74
12-20-2003, 06:11 PM
You can also rotate the LRA on a binded skin without affecting the skin. Just thought Id add that.

-d

MCGrund
12-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by dwalden74
You can also rotate the LRA on a binded skin without affecting the skin. Just thought Id add that.

-d
That sounds interesting, how can you do that?

dwalden74
12-21-2003, 03:40 PM
That sounds interesting, how can you do that?

Just select it (in component mode) and rotate it. Its not the ideal solution in every case, but sometimes it can come in handy.

-david

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.