PDA

View Full Version : Update on CS Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia"!

RobertoOrtiz
12-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Quote:
"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, based on the popular book of the same name, will be made in New Zealand, Industry Development Minister Jim Anderton said in a statement today.

The film will be directed by Andrew Adamson, a New Zealander best known as the co-director of the Oscar-winning computer-animated feature Shrek.

The movie is expected to start preparations, including obtaining stage space and personnel, in Auckland early in 2004. "

>>Link<< (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2761539a1870,00.html)

-R

MaDSheeP
12-20-2003, 05:39 AM
didn't Weta Digital sign on for the special effects??

man i hope this director does it justice..

and i hope they make narnia creepy

leigh
12-20-2003, 06:14 AM
I'm really looking forward to these. I grew up with the Narnia books, they were some of my favourite books to read and re-read from when I was about 8 until I was in my early teens. Fantastic stories!

Here's to hoping the director will do them justice and that the films will be every bit as exciting and imaginative as the books were :)

RockinAkin
12-20-2003, 06:31 AM
These series of films really have the potential to become another classic film series like LOTR and Harry Potter, or of course, be a complete train wreck.

Here hoping it'll turn out great. :thumbsup:

kwshipman
12-20-2003, 06:44 AM
I'm a bit confused. Are they doing the the whole The Chronicles of Narnia or just The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, because isnt that the second book?

leigh
12-20-2003, 06:49 AM
As far as I know they are doing the entire chronicles.

kwshipman
12-20-2003, 06:50 AM
and they are starting with book 2?

xzevlin
12-20-2003, 10:34 AM
The Magician's Nephew is the beginning of the story, but it was the second last book written. Maybe they are making them in the order they were published. The Lion, the With and the Wardrobe is also the title that's the most recognized.

flipnap
12-20-2003, 01:19 PM
C.S. Lewis rocks.. i want in on this one...:bounce:

gfree69
12-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Has anyone read any of his "adult fiction" ( I'm an adult and i still read the chronicles of narnia every now and again). I think someone needs to turn Out Of the Silent Planet into a movie.

jjburton
12-21-2003, 02:43 PM
I can't wait for this either. Lewis is my favorite author.

Gfree69- yeah I read them. Did a paper for Arthurian Lit class on contemporary uses of a "Merlin archetype" using the "That Hideous Strength" as a major source. Loved the books. Funny, but you can see the similarities in his some of his concepts with those of Tolkein (one of his friends), especially in reading "The Similarion". I see the Oysara (spelling off) and the Valar being quite similar. Angelic archons of sorts. Fascinating stuff:).

chrisWhite
12-21-2003, 04:56 PM
I'm so excited, I really hope the do these well.

I've also read a lot of his adult fiction and love all of it so far. I've read the first two books in his space trilogy, and though I'd love to see them as movies, I do think they might be to slow to actually watch. I'm not saying it couldn't be done well, but it would be tricky. I'd also love to see The Pilgrim's Regress and Screwtape Letters done, I think both are going to be awesome.

Rabid pitbull
12-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Excellent !!!! Hopefully it is done with the same mastery as lotr. Both stories were long over due imho.

KingMob
12-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Sounds great.

Really hope weta is involved as rumored.

I havent read these books in soo long, I might go pick them up once i finish re-reading monkey wrench gang.

Travelln
12-21-2003, 07:58 PM
U guys remember the tv series? that was a cool show...lets hope the movie at least lives up the show

vrf
12-22-2003, 02:52 AM
Wow, this is great news. The Narnia stories are still among my favorite books.

Makes me wonder, though, how much of the message of the original stories will be retained. While Tolkien didn't like alegory, Lewis's Narnia stories are clearly a metaphor for Christianity. I hope they don't water it down too much.

chrisWhite
12-22-2003, 04:48 AM
Of course I'm biased...but I would be really mad if they aren't true to the Lewis' stories. Much of the alegory is central to the story: Aslan, the stone table, the real Narnia in the Last battle, Tash, the creation of the world, Aslan's country, etc.

LisaT
12-22-2003, 04:56 AM
This is fantastic! Can't wait...

Having read most of the series when I was so much younger I didn't notice the analogies to Christianity - oh well - two good reasons to reread these before the movie...

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (shall we call it TLTWATW - it's so long) and the prequel (what was it called?) would have to be two of the most magcial and enthralling stories of all time!

chrisWhite
12-22-2003, 04:25 PM
You know what's interesting is that Lewis said that children actually tended to see the analogies quicker then adults did. Though he may have been referring to those who grew up in a Christian home.

What's strange to me is why everyone loves TLTWATW so much. I loved the whole series, but I think TLTWATW was my least favorite. My favorites were Prince Caspian, The Horse and His Boy and the Last Battle by far.

MartinGFoster
12-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by MaDSheeP
didn't Weta Digital sign on for the special effects??

No, Weta is not doing the majority of the effects. I believe they have their hands full with "King Kong".

Most of the CG has not been "officially" awarded yet, but it is almost certainly going to a well known creature CG house in California. Probably best to wait for the official announcement.

Moo 4.5
12-23-2003, 07:13 AM
It's quite funny, I was looking for my copy of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe the other day.

HAVE A LOOK HERE (http://www.narnia.com/movie/news/movienews_020731.htm)

link84
12-23-2003, 04:11 PM
I read them all about 5 years ago. I remember they were terrific books but I can not remember the names of the people or let alone the titles.

boboroshi
12-23-2003, 08:41 PM
In order to do the whole sequence and retain teh same actors, they'd have to shoot five films at once, as the aging of the main characters from TLTWATW through the next four or five books is a matter of roughly five years. That would be an insane amount of production.

www.narnia.com seems to have some basic basic information about the films.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.