PDA

View Full Version : "[Schlitzy Screentest contest] Pequod's WIP"

pequod
12-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Managed to grab a few moments all to myself today. I thought it would be a good time to make a start on this contest.
So, to get the ball rolling, here's my storyboard:

www.hash.com/users/milos/sb.jpg

Judging from past experience, I'll probably change everything by the time I finish the actual animation, I generally do. I can foresee some technical challenges just constraining all that junk to him.

Zaryin
12-19-2003, 08:26 PM
HAHA, that is great! Nice Story boarding. Layed out great and beautifully drawn. Wish I had talent for that.

JTalbotski
12-19-2003, 08:40 PM
Whoa! A new level of professionalism has been set! This is fantastic! I am going to LOVE watching this develop.

Awesome, Stephen!

Jim

cosmonaut
12-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Whoa, nice start. But shouldn't it say Snow White instead of Sleeping Beauty?

raillard
12-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Hello Stephen!

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to this!

Maybe, just after the screen test clapper comes down (panel 7) the first thing that happens is the contents of the diamond bag begins to pour out. Schlitzy makes a move to pick the diamonds up -- he begins to stoop & reach down -- but his bare foot comes down onto a sharp diamond. A jump back in pain (dancing up & down on his slippered foot?) leads to the uproar in panel 8, & the collapse in panel 9.

Whatever you decide this is gonna be fun to watch! I like how little dialog there is in this.
I just watched "Safety Last" with Harold Lloyd a couple of days ago. I love silent films.

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

pequod
12-20-2003, 12:53 AM
But shouldn't it say Snow White instead of Sleeping Beauty?
:blush: Doh! I've just this second quickly rubbed that out, how embarrassing. Cheers Cosmonaut.

Anyway, thanks Jim, you are entering this part of the contest as well, aren't you?

Zaryin, The great thing about 3D, is you don't necessarily need to draw well to produce good stuff, I'm counting on it :)

Carl, good suggestion. There needs to be more of a reason he loses balance.

JTalbotski
12-20-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by pequod
Anyway, thanks Jim, you are entering this part of the contest as well, aren't you?

Yes, I am going to *try* to animate. This should be interesting! Maybe if I just have him passed out on the floor. I can do that! (I think.)

Thanks for keeping the pressure on,
Jim

John Keates
12-20-2003, 12:12 PM
Hello Pequod:wavey: Nice to see you entering this one. I think that your story-board will look great animated (partly because you will be doing it).

dagooos
12-20-2003, 05:02 PM
Hey pequod,

Storyboard looks great and funny gag. This one is going to be fun watching progress!
:thumbsup:

David

pequod
12-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Thanks John and David. I shall look forward to seeing the progress of both of YOUR entries, hint hint.

Incidentally Carl, I've opted for the silent movie approach, mostly to save time hunting around for a suitable piece of audio and to avoid having to make all those mouth shapes for the lip synch. But I'm a big fan of those movies, especially Buster keaton and Charlie Chaplin.

pequod
12-31-2003, 01:12 PM
Here's a very VERY rough first pass of my Schlitzy animation, I'm almost too embarrassed to show it. But, in the spirit of the contest it should be seen. I guess it's a few steps on from just blocking out the scene, so there is the minimum of facial and hand movement, lots of channel drifting and intersections.
Oh! one other thing, you'll probably notice I've completely changed the idea from the storyboard, this one seemed more achievable. Although, I still have to shave off two seconds from somewhere.

QT6 1.8mb

www.hash.com/users/milos/schlitzy.mov

John Keates
12-31-2003, 01:35 PM
Nice work as usual. It is a lot less sketchy than I expected after reading your post but I can see that there is a fair bit to do. If you want to shave a few seconds off it then I think that the best route would be to remove the bit where he leans on the stool for the first time as I don't think that it is necessary.

I like the bit where he tries to take the paper and ends up spinning round. I think that you could play on it more though.

By the way, what does the note say? will this be revealed?

Looking forward to seing more.

Zaryin
12-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Man, do you suck, haha. That's pretty good for being embarrassed. I couldn't even get that paper to flip over! :). Other than that I agree with John.

JTalbotski
12-31-2003, 02:50 PM
Stephen,

Thanks for posting this! It's great being able to see how this will progress.

The whole first part where he stumbles into view until he reaches back for the paper looks great to me (except for the fingers/hands as you're aware already). It shows real weight to the body as he tries to maintain his balance. I had initially tried to add some of that swaying to my animation, but it is way over my head at this stage. Bravo!

You've made him act very cute and almost innocent as he tries to read the card while turning it over. I love it!

Will there be someone telling him that there is something stuck on him? It looks as though he is listening to someone.

I like the big nose gag. Will the paper conform around the nose?

I'd like to see the fall at the end last longer, kind of hanging in the air a bit as he struggles to stay up. This part may be just blocked in at the moment, though.

Thanks for showing us,
Jim

raillard
12-31-2003, 10:57 PM
The business with the stool is truly inspired! :thumbsup:

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

pequod
01-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks Carl! I am of course using the 'Chatter Buster arm rig' for Schlitzy. I did originally have him spinning on his legs, but changed it to the stool, which is a better use of props and it allowed me to add the interest of the script sticking to his bum. It's annoying and probably not very professional, but better ideas often occur to me while I'm in the process of animating.

Jim, I think I will have a muffled voice pointing out that the script is stuck to his bum. As to the fall at the end, I might have the camera start to slowly zoom in so by the end of the scene, when he falls over, he will disappear from the frame.

Zaryin, the paper is going to be my biggest headache. It has to be constrained to the stool, his behind, his left hand, then both his hands constrained to the paper, then the paper constrained back to his right hand then to the left!

John, the paper won't have anything visible written on it, cuz that will give us a clue that he is trying to read it upside down. You are probably right about the section, (or near that area) I can edit out to save some seconds.

Thanks everyone for the comments, it's much appreciated.

alfiebabes
01-05-2004, 12:33 PM
I watch a ton of Laurel & Hardy stuff and thought your *rough* was brilliant.! I thought I saw a couple of Ollie moves in there, especially the delicate way he tries to turn the script-sheet around but the facial gesture when trying to read the script was very Stan Laurel to me.

Any crits? yes, I spilt my coffee when laughing so hard! apart from the fact that your storyboard seems quite different... then I thought maybe there could be some longer pauses for inebriate effect than you have at present.
Although, I still have to shave off two seconds from somewhere. Ouch! surely if the quality is this good, your audience will accept an extra 2 seconds?

brilliant stuff though Pequod!

pequod
01-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Cheers Alfiebabes!
I haven't been able to do anymore on Schlitzy, but I know where I can save at least a second from the clip. But like you mentioned, there are one or two places I'd liked to pause for longer :hmm:

Wycoff3d
01-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Whats this?

'Chatter Buster arm rig'

raillard
01-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Wycoff3d
Whats this?

'Chatter Buster arm rig'

Hello.

The chatter buster arm rig is a special type of IK rig that I developed. The IK wrist target is a child of a big arm bone, which starts at the shoulder. A picture is worth a thousand words:
http://www.sonic.net/raillard/hash/chatterbuster.jpg

The rig allows one to make smooth arm swings using an IK setup. Here's a zipped .mov file:
http://www.sonic.net/raillard/hash/gatyjump.zip

Stephen has been employing chatter buster rigs in a bunch of his models, for he appreciates the straightforward nature of IK animation, but he dislikes IK chatter as much as I do.

On the animaster mailing list, Justin Barrett mentioned that Michael Comet devised a similar arm rig system (independently) while he was working at Big Ideas. Michael calls it a "Pseudo FK" rig. That's probably a better name for this sort of rig, 'cuz it's shorter.

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

Obnomauk
01-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Interesting idea. This is the first I have heard of it, it certainly looks flexible...

is there a file with an example of this arm rig floating around someplace?

Right now I have three arm rigs and use sliders to switch between them one rig that behaved and looked like FK but with the advantages of IK would be prefered :)

Being that I am just now starting the rigging for the characters in my short this would be perfect timing to explore new options :)

-David Rogers

John Keates
01-13-2004, 09:08 PM
I have been using this type of rig recently and can vouch for its usefullness. I noticed some problems recently with it as there would be noise on the bones in some situations. However this has been fixed in v11 as Hash has implemented a new type of bone maths which is more efficient and so accumulates less noise.

raillard
01-14-2004, 05:45 AM
Hello.

David wrote:
"is there a file with an example of this arm rig
floating around someplace?"

Well ... I'm somewhat reluctant to give away my alligator boy. Gaty is not even ready for v10.5. I created him in v8.5 and he has tons of fan bones; the constriants on these fans need some reordering before they work properly in v10.5. And right now I'm just pressed for time. I've been busy with work and other projects -- I haven't had a chance to do much in A:M lately. :sad:

Maybe Stephen Millingen wouldn't mind sharing his modified version of Schlitzy? Ho? Would that be okay with you, Stephen? How about Jim Talbot? Does Jim need to give his blessing on this, too? It's fine with me, if anyone cares for my opinion! :cool: The more people who use the chatter-buster rig, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

John wrote:
"I noticed some problems recently with it as
there would be noise on the bones in some
situations. However this has been fixed in v11
as Hash has implemented a new type of bone
maths which is more efficient and so
accumulates less noise."

Bob Croucher devised the new method of calculating IK chains. The improvements were designed to help situations where the bones of an IK chain are nearly straight. Think of an elegant female standing as tall as she can while shifting her weight slightly. Stephen Millingen was animating Briar Rose in such a posture, and poor Briar's legs were vibrating like a sewing machine! Me & Stephen howled, and the guys at Hash got onto it. Hopefully Bob's work rectifies all such problems. These improvements are Bob Croucher's doing, and he is to be thanked. :applause:

There's one caveat about the chatter-buster rig:
It benefits from a precise placement of bones. You need to chord all the arm bones straight out. This means the values of the Y and Z start & end positions of the arm bones MUST be identical. Close is not good enough. Both the rig bones and the geometry bones should share the same Y & Z values. If you fail to chord the bones, the arms shall behave like a cheap lawn chair, bending in the wrong direction, etc.

Okay, that's all for now.

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

Natess44
01-14-2004, 06:15 AM
You could just give us the skeleton. :) It sounds like a neat rig!

JTalbotski
01-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by raillard

Maybe Stephen Millingen wouldn't mind sharing his modified version of Schlitzy? Ho? Would that be okay with you, Stephen? How about Jim Talbot? Does Jim need to give his blessing on this, too? It's fine with me, if anyone cares for my opinion! :cool: The more people who use the chatter-buster rig, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

The rules to the animation contest state that we should make available to the rest of the entrants, any improvements to the Schlitzy model. So it is definitely fine with me!

Jim

pequod
01-14-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm only too happy to share my modified version of Schlitzy.

www.hash.com/users/milos/schlitzynewrig4.mdl.zip

A couple of things I should mention,

Carl suggested one should 'chord' the arm bones. A combination of my natural indolence and haste to rig the model, I've overlooked this recommendation.
The rest of the rig is not too dissimilar to the Egg rig. There's no auto CG or balance aspect to it though.
To switch between FK to IK, simply slide the pose slider (RightHand IN/OUT) from 0 to 100 in as many frames you want the transition to take place.

If you've got any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Oh! the noise on the bones that Bob Croucher has brilliantly fixed in v11, was something that was present in all rigs, it wasn't peculiar to this one.:)

raillard
01-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Hello, all.

I just grabbed a minute to look at Stephen's chatter-buster version of Schlitzy. (Gosh, that's a super model, Jim!). Anyway, I tried moving the dwarf's right hand and got a circularity error message. The correct hand control bone is not visible. Here's how to fix the problem:
http://www.sonic.net/raillard/hash/fix.gif

I spent a moment moving the arms around. I could not detect any bad behavior due to his arms not being chorded. Well, that's great, I guess! :cool: Maybe v10.5 is less finicky than v8.5p+ in this respect?

Well, enough about my chatter-buster rig. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Schlitzy's antics! :)

You know what might be cool? Filming Schlitzy's screen test in black and white, with some added film grain and screen noise -- maybe a hair or two -- tossed on. Make it look like archival footage from "Vault Disney."

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

pequod
01-28-2004, 02:50 AM
Cheers Carl, ironically I went through the model before uploading it, hiding bones to try and make it simpler to understand and of course messed up.
BTW Carl, translate limits on the wrist nulls seem to work again in 10.5.

Here's my second pass on Schlitzy, it could do with another few passes but for this one I've mostly played around with the lighting:

www.hash.com/users/milos/schlitzy2.mov

Drakkheim
01-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Very (very) Nice!

Only thing i have to say would be that his pupils and eyebrows are really really hard to see , making it hard to read his facial expression sometimes.

Very (very) Nice though.

:drool:
-drakk

Zaryin
01-28-2004, 06:18 AM
Excellent! A little crunchy in the hip area at one point, but other than that it looks great.

JTalbotski
01-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Wow! That is some second pass. All the little details look great, the paper conforming to his nose, the eyebrow and eyelid motion, etc. I especially like the double take, as he first leans against the stool, and his embarassed shrug.

I like the lighting, too, but as mentioned before, it may be a little blown out too much in the brighter areas.

What kind of render set up did you use? Was it multipass or the regular AA? I assume multipass because the motion blur looks good. And how long did it take to render? On your Mac or PC?

Nosy, aren't I?

Excellent work!
Jim

John Keates
01-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Fantastic stuff as usual Pequod! IT would be interesting to see what you do with it for the next pass, I realy don't think that I could think of anything myself. The timing of the fall is just right. The lighting is realy good aslo.

Just for fun, my guess is that you are using AA with a penumbrea Klieg and then real smart motion blur in EA.

pequod
01-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Drakkheim,

Only thing i have to say would be that his pupils and eyebrows are really really hard to see , making it hard to read his facial expression sometimes.

I agree, his pale blue eyes and white hair make it difficult to read with my strong stage lighting. I'll reduce the light intensity and maybe add some bloom. I might also create a pose slider to vary the size of his pupils.

Zaryin,

Define 'crunchy'
:rolleyes:

Jim,
What kind of render set up did you use? Was it multipass or the regular AA? I assume multipass because the motion blur looks good. And how long did it take to render? On your Mac or PC?

I used regular AA so that the hair would look better for this test. Multipass would have taken too long, but I shall use it for the final render cuz it's mo-blur is so much better. An example of the trouble with AA mo-blur is his arm swinging behind his back, the mo-blur cuts into his back making it look like an intersection.

I animated him on my G4 Mac, (I've put a 1.2 Gig processor upgrade in recently). However, when it came time to render him with his hair on, it would always crash. So I rendered him on the PC (1.4 Gig) and it took the best part of the day to complete. It averaged 50 seconds per frame (approx 750 frames). Amazingly, I tried out the latest OSX AM alpha version, and it's so much more responsive than using the program in 9.2. It's quicker to open projects, save files and the FPS seem a tad faster, hopefully this will mean that AM on the Mac will at last be equal to or even better than the PC version. I digress.
I'll work on some timing issues next and do a bit of extra smartskinning, especially around the shoulders and then I suppose I should add the sound, what a drag!

dagooos
01-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi,

You have some really nice stuff there! Love the facial expressions and all the secondary movement, really captures the drunken state well. Looks like you had this well planned out.
The part where he swings aroung on the stool is really sweet :thumbsup:

alfiebabes
01-28-2004, 05:02 PM
getting better all the time and I still love this!

1- what's the strange shadow that appears back where he came from when Schlitzy is in mid-rotate on the stool?

2- not quite so convinced with the end of the rotate on the stool. First time I watched it it almost seemed like he jumped into a fairly steady position. I'd like to see him stagger a bit more after he's come off the stool.

I agree everything Drakkheim said about the eye expressions but
3- Shouldn't his hands show the transfer of body weight a bit more onto the seat of the stool before he loses balance?

I know I'm probably being a pain but if he loses balance it's because he's trying to lean on the stool? Presently he seems to tap the stool then fall over.
Hope that helps - feel free to ignore me!

cosmonaut
01-28-2004, 05:20 PM
WOW ... WOW ... WOW! That's your second pass?!? That is awesome! I'll be happy if my final animation is even half that good. I really like the way you captured the character. The fall is also great. Nothing else to add really that hasn't already been said. I'm certainly inspired to work even harder on my entry. Can't wait to see it when you're done.

:bowdown:

Kevin

pequod
01-28-2004, 06:48 PM
John,
No penumbra or Reel smart motion blur, but the rest of your guess is right. Reel smart has problems with dark scenes.

Dagooos,
Thanks. Actually, I did plan out the original idea, hence the storyboard. However, I abandoned that idea, whereas this one has just grown 'organically' so to speak.

Alfiebabes,
Thanks for the suggestions.
(1)The strange shadow I hadn't noticed, but it's to be expected with z-buffered lights.
(2)The stool does need another couple of little settling hops as it comes to rest.
(3) His hand is searching for the stool, not tapping it. If you are misreading this I'll have to make it clearer. I'm going to keep the smile on his face for longer, in his inebriated state he would not necessarily be too aware of most things that are going on -like a misplaced chair.

Cosmonaut,
Actually this is more of a third pass, sorry everyone for misleading you. My excuse, is that after about the second pass, I don't really do passes anymore but jump around the timeline fixing things as they occur to me.
:blush: I reckon I've spent about two weekends working on Schlitzy so far, animation and rigging.

raillard
01-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Awesome, Stephen!

About the eyes: Maybe you should try adding a glow (increase the ambience) to the whites of the eyes? That would make the iris and pupils look darker in comparison. Increasing the size of the pupils is a very good idea, too, 'cuz the room he's in is fairly dark.

I hope you'll add some secondary motion to his hat? I want to see the rear pouch fly out, with centrifugal force, when he spins around on the chair! Be sure to make the pouch come to a rest immediately after he stops moving, to suggest its weightlessness. What am I doing, telling YOU how to animate?!? :beer:

'Looking forward to seeing the next pass! :)

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

Zaryin
01-29-2004, 07:23 AM
IIt just looked tat at some points the creasing of the clothing seemed too much, but now that I watched it again I think I've changed my mind :).

Kricket
01-29-2004, 08:39 AM
:bowdown: Wow wow wow! That is some beautiful animation! :bowdown:

alfiebabes
01-29-2004, 01:10 PM
(1)The strange shadow I hadn't noticed, but it's to be expected with z-buffered lights.
(2)The stool does need another couple of little settling hops as it comes to rest.
(3) His hand is searching for the stool, not tapping it. If you are misreading this I'll have to make it clearer. I'm going to keep the smile on his face for longer, in his inebriated state he would not necessarily be too aware of most things that are going on -like a misplaced chair.

Hi Pequod.!
I originally thought the shadow was a way of describing some off-set action - like whoever had obviously pushed schlitzy out to do his test closing the stage-door.
Now you mention the stool.. it does stop very suddenly doesn't it? I actually meant Schlitzy's stance. (I downloaded and watched your first pass again in comparison with a friend - she felt the first was "tighter" in some ways?)
Re: stool - I see what you mean now about reaching for the stool. He does move closer to the stool before reaching for it - maybe sound could tell that part of the gag I suspect?

I'll shut up now!

JTalbotski
01-29-2004, 05:06 PM

I animated him on my G4 Mac, (I've put a 1.2 Gig processor upgrade in recently). However, when it came time to render him with his hair on, it would always crash. So I rendered him on the PC (1.4 Gig) and it took the best part of the day to complete. It averaged 50 seconds per frame (approx 750 frames).

Stephen,

I'm getting crashing when trying to render with z-buffered shadows when the hair is on, also. When I render it with raytrace shadows, I'm getting render times of just over two and a half minutes per frame. I'm on a dual gig G4 w/1.5 GB ram. Ugh. I may have to settle for no AA in my final entry. I don't have time to let my only machine just render all day.

No big deal, the quality of my render isn't going to help me win this contest anyways! :P

Love your work, Stephen!

Jim

pequod
01-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Carl,
The droopy bit of the hat at the moment has got a dynamic constraint applied to it's bone. The motion it produces is erractic, sometimes not moving at all. I can't be fussed to work it out, so it'll be simpler to just hand animate it, then if it doesn't look right I've got no one else to blame other than myself. I think there was some notion going round that if you reversed the orientation of the dynamic bone, the simulation would be more accurate.:shrug: I think this is a question for Joe W.

Zaryin,
Jim has cleverly modelled in folds in the clothes which actually deform rather well when moving the character around. Anyway, as long as you're happy now ;)

Kricket,
Thanks. I think your Katrina character definately has the Wow Wow factor.

Alfiebabes,
His dismount from the stool hasn't had much additional work done to it since the first pass. The mo-blur might make it look a little different though. But you might be on to something, I need to reexamine this section.

Jim,
Thanks for the info, raytraced shadows with hair is just not on. I use my Mac mostly for work as well, so the PC has become the render machine. Another advantage of having more than one computer when using AM, is if there is a problem in a project on the Mac, it's occasionally rectified by opening it up on the PC and indeed visa-versa. Also good for double checking bugs.

John Keates
01-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Hey Pequod, the dynamic constraint problem only uccurs when you use a single bone. If you just give the chain two bones then it would be sorted. Whether or not it will look just how you want it is another thing. These things may be changed by the next update though (if it ever comes :) ).

Check here for more on DC's,

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113224
Joe and I am trying to get other people to ditto any of these requests if they want to.

pequod
02-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi Gang,

www.hash.com/users/milos/schlitzy3.mov

Latest Schlitzy updates:

Fixed droopy bit of hat, got rid of dynamics. (John Keates)
Improved spin on stool, (Alfiebabes)
Now brought to you in glorious sound,
Increased ambience in eyeballs (Carl Raillard)
Reintroduced bottle (apologies to Kevin if this looks too familiar)

JTalbotski
02-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Oh my....

That is just ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!

The sound is excellent and adds so much to the whole thing. All the tweaks raised it to another level.

Thanks so much for doing this contest, Stephen. I always wanted to see one of my characters animated well. This is better than I hoped for.

Jim

cosmonaut
02-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Once again Stephen, that is awesome. And how could I complain about the bottle? It actually leaves his hand in your animation :thumbsup: I take it you are finished? Amazing job.

Kevin

pequod
02-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Thanks Jim,

It's been a pleasure constantly hitting that render button and revealing Schlitz in all his textural goodiness.:cool:
Judging from the other entries so far, your character is certainly going to be brought to life, it's a shame there haven't been more participants, but hey.
Like you say, the music (Mr. Men theme) has really helped. With just sound effects, it was too stark.

Kevin, I'm glad you don't mind. I'm not finished yet, a few more tweaks and a proper render is required.

alfiebabes
02-04-2004, 02:07 PM
the Mr Men didn't just bring back memories (:beer: ) it fit the sequence perfectly!

Really fantastic work Stephen, and I now understand one of the little jerks Schlitzy made - it was a hiccup. :blush:

shaunf
02-08-2004, 03:33 AM
Wonderful stuff Steve!!! You use of timing and balance (particularly to animate a drunk guy) is terrific!!

I would have loved to enter the contest, but the last month has been crazy, as we have just had our first child. Which has been wonderful (but a little tiring, 5 hours sleep isn't really enough for me to work on I have discovered).

Shaun

JTalbotski
02-08-2004, 04:23 AM
Congratulations, Shaun! You'll never "animate" anything better than your own child. :)

Jim

pequod
02-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks Alf and Shaun,

Shaun, I suppose I'll have to concede that the 'bleary eyed father' is a good enough excuse........for the time being ;)

Ah, I now understand where the inspiration for your cuckoo chick in diapers comes from.:wise:

pengwin
02-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Sorry, but I'm afraid I must complain. To both Stephen and Jim Talbot.

I downloaded Stephen's WIP yesterday, and whilst viewing it, my 18 month old son climbed on my lap. He now DEMANDS that I play the animation as often as possible. I can't get any work done!!!!! I'm falling behind my deadlines, I'm not getting any time to myself. My computer does nothing but show Shlitzy!!!!

Seriously though, guys. Fantastic animation and superb modelling. Really nice work.

Mark

pequod
02-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Not my fault, it was Jim......he started it.:p
Cheers for the nice words Mark.

Stephen.

JTalbotski
02-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Ha! But you took it to a new level. Maybe it's Schltzy's body, his proportions are very kid-like.

Jim

JBarrett
02-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Stephen! Maaaaannnnn....that's really awesome work there. And from the looks of your comments, you're not done yet...zat right? Wow...can't wait to see it totally finished! :D

modernhorse
02-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Wowie that is terrific. Very good work, and the sound is perfect.

Only thing that is 100% (for me) is his leaning on the stool and his leg cross. I just don't feel it adds much.

Now, I'm off to watch it again.

John Keates
02-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Hey pequod, just saw your latest version. Looks realy nice! And the music is an inspired chice. I was at the doctors the other day and I couldn't help but read the tale if Little Miss Giggle. I don't think this impressed the receptionist though:hmm:

I can't wait to see what expert touches you add to the next version.

pequod
02-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

The extra tweaks I'll do on him are quite minor, no one other than myself would notice them. Mind you, one area that needs attention and is probably quite noticeable, is his right hand slides about a bit when he is holding the script. Time permitting, I'd like to change some of the timing in a few areas by sliding those keyframes about in the timeline, unfortunately at this stage it will cause havoc with the placement of various objects constrained to him. If I knew how to select all the keys of Schlitzy and his accessories at the same time (without deselecting others in the process) that would help.
But if I don't get another chance to work on him, I'll just hit that render button two days before the deadline and let the computer chug away on Schlitzy's 'multipass' hair.

John and Doug, you've both mentioned the 'unnecessary' moment when Schlitz leans on the stool for the first time. I've kept it in, as this relaxed action of him leaning on the stool, hopefully sets up the final gag (admittedly weak joke) when, just after you feel he's finally ready to read the script, he misses the stool altogether. (yes...... that piece of paper is the script, I'll decal some squiggly lines on it).

Justin, looks like your new job is keeping you busy, which I think is a good thing, not sure. I'm eager to see any new stuff you can show us, even if it's not done in AM.

JBarrett
02-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Stephen,

Busy has its ups and downs. Sometimes it has meant animating some really fun shots. Other times it's meant staying up for 26 hours straight at the end of crunch time. But I prefer busy over bored...had a few of those types of days, too, and they can be downright depressing if my mind takes the wrong track. There have been a couple times when I've semi-seriously questioned why I even chose animation as a career. Thankfully I've come out of those moments, but it's been a hair scary at times.

Sorry, but I can't show anything from work yet...non-disclosures and all that. Hopefully soon, though. I'm also working on a little something just for A:M folks. Not sure how much I can/should disclose about that right now, but hopefully I'll have some teaser material ready before too long. ;)

raillard
02-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Great work, Stephen!
The music is perfect. I love how the bottle comes rolling back.

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

dagooos
02-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Nice work Pequod. LOve it :thumbsup:

Lots of character

hoochoochoochoo
02-16-2004, 10:50 AM
this was really tremendous. I watched quietly and hope I learned just from watching this thread.

I agree ALL the other comments that went into this thread. Great to see the AM Forum getting back on track and your work really stands out here!:beer: :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.