PDA

View Full Version : High Rez Shrek 2 and Shark Tale images

FloydBishop
12-19-2003, 05:24 PM
http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/fullstory.php?id=267

(found it through www.animated-news.com)

http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/preview2004/images/sharktale_seven.jpg

heavyness
12-19-2003, 05:59 PM
i'm sorry, those fish look scary. just slapping a face on a fish doesn't float with me. but, i want to see them in motion. sometimes stills of animations mess-up the effect.

personally, i'm looking forward to Anchorman (http://www.anchorman-themovie.com/) w/ Will Farrel. it reeks of Will Ferrell as Alex Trebek from SNL!

ajsfuxor
12-19-2003, 10:53 PM
for some reason, Sharktale will never sit right with me for the simple reason that i think their character design is a cop out. I mean im sure the film will be great and all, but i feel that their design department and animation department sat down and said

"ok, these things are going to be really hard to animate, so lets think of ways to make it easier on us....hmmm....so we know how to animate humanoids....SO LETS MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE HUMANOIDS!!!! Yeah, we'll give them eyebrows, even though fish dont have eyebrows, and human teeth, and make their fins look like hands....lets even five them fingers like humans!!! YEAH, good idea, that will be easy to animate!!!"

Even though i didn't love Finding Nemo (i didnt think it had the briliiance of Monsters Inc) i will always applaud Pixar for taking on the challenge of animating their fish..WITH NO EYEBROWS!!!

Dennik
12-19-2003, 11:50 PM
I find the design of SharkTale characters totally unappealing. Hopefully this is an early stage of design. But again, its been a long time since we first heared of SharkTale, and they should show some improvement. I don't know... I just don't like the looks of it at all. :hmm:

flipnap
12-20-2003, 12:26 AM
They will never be out from the shadow of Nemo.. they did it first.. I will never be able to see another cg fish movie without instantly comparing with nemo.. no matter how different the story, no matter what.. pixar did it first with nemo and thats that.. all the rest will always be pale in comparison because of the simple fact that pixar did a fish movie about the best that you can possibly do a fish story (animation and design wise)

Chewey
12-20-2003, 12:29 AM
huh... I found that fish character's image so unappealing and strange that I won't even bother to check out the attached links. Fins with joint/ elbow like thingies?

beaker
12-20-2003, 02:03 AM
This is going to be a really cool movie. Glad they finally released some of the newer images of the fish rather than that really old crappy version they have been showing in the news. I can't say anything about it other than it is going to be really funny and the characters are really cool. Just think Sopranos with fish. It is nothing like Finding Nemo. The only connection fish and water and thats it. Other than that it is fish personified by people that walk and talk like them. The directors previously did on Shrek and Road to Eldorado.

lildragon
12-20-2003, 01:17 PM
I think the prob with the design is the heads look to "real" to be on a fish body, hence making it creepy and unappealing. It might be a good movie, and maybe it's a good thing they're releasing it a year after Nemo, that gives just enough time to make it seem "fresh" again *cough*

salud

E.Z. Schwartz
12-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Crap I don't think I can stomach another movie about fish. Fish are good for eating, that's it, I don't care about them as characters. Looking lame so far.

dmaas
12-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Aaah! Some green eel thing tore off Nemo's face and is using it as a mask!

To be fair, one of those chick fish is pretty hot-looking.

Layer01
12-21-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by dmaas

To be fair, one of those chick fish is pretty hot-looking.

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D now THATS creepy :p ;)

i have to agree, i really dont like the design of those fish...espessialy the sharks, i mean they just look stupid.

but shrek 2 looks great..that pic with puss in boots cracks me up.

PhilOsirus
12-21-2003, 12:21 AM
Wait till you see them move. I always thought the idea of reproducing the actor's face for his animated counterpart was a great idea. I can't wait to see this, it has the same cleverness Shrek and Antz had (remember the Sylvester Stalone ant?)

The only thing that bothers me is that I remember a Robert Deniro shark, and now I can't recognize him. They removed his sunspot or whatever you guys call it.

Anyway, I sure wish there was less serious criticism over little things these days. I know we are CG artists so we will see it differently than most, but I rarely see a lot of joy over any 3D film other than Pixar's.:shrug:

keithlango
12-21-2003, 05:18 AM
When they move it will make a big difference. Not to sound blasphemous here, but character design hasn't been an exceptionally strong suit in 3d films so far, my opinion. Most designs tend to go very, very, very safe. I mean Woody is about as bland as you can get with a character design. If you ever get a chance to see early exploratory concept designs for characters you see some of the wilder stuff that comes up. But as time goes by those inspirational designs tend to get their edges sanded off. But we won't care about these characters until we see them acting out their personality, their character as a living being. Smiling PR stills won't cut it until we see these fish as people. There's no point of reference for their personality. Makes me wonder why Dreamworks is even bothering with releasing the character stills before they've got a trailer cut together. If they're hoping that people will remember which fish is Angelina Jolie or Robert DeNiro, they're gonna be in for a bit of disappointment.

Back to Shark... I will register my vote that I kinda wish the sharks had wider mouths. But insiders tell me it will be a funny film, not at all cut from the same Disney/Pixar formula. Which in itself could be a good thing. We need the variety. I mean, I love Pixar's films, but you can't have ice cream 3 meals a day every day. Some mac-n-cheese would be nice. :)

-k

PhilOsirus
12-21-2003, 06:09 AM
I think the best character ever so far was Sully, he stood out thanks to his fur, had great colors etc:)

keithlango
12-21-2003, 07:44 AM
If I had to pick my favorite 3d character design in a feature film, I think I'd settle on Sid from Ice Age. Daringly different, yet still appealing and cartoony.

Second prize would be a tie between Waternoose and Hopper.

-k

ps; how cool would Beast from "Beauty & the Beast" be in 3d if done right?

lildragon
12-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by keithlango
If I had to pick my favorite 3d character design in a feature film, I think I'd settle on Sid from Ice Age.

Was about to say the same exact thing, very appealing character next to Scrat, but Sid is one of my fav characters so far.

-lild

Emmanuel
12-21-2003, 06:04 PM
I like those fishes from the Dreamwork's one !
Wasn't too overwhelmed with Nemo, for my taste it went to much the traditional Disney route.
Dreamworks seems to go a bit wilder this time, I can imagine those jellyfish guys will be seriously fun, they look like they do a joint from time to time and have that cool, Shaggy-like Jamaica-english "slahng".
Looking forward to this.

Adam
12-21-2003, 09:41 PM
yeah those fish look something weird,,,

Also they just don't look finished at all (and this has been in production for a while now) especially the textures.. They seem very week, flat and uniform.
I don't know about this movie

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.