PDA

View Full Version : How hard do they work?

macoy
06-18-2002, 05:12 PM
I am doing last taught module in my course now. When I first came to the course, I was thinking to learn everything, modelling, lighting, shading, animation.......

But now it turns out that it is impossible......In the animation module, i tried to do everything, and the animation turns out to be crap......

my teacher talked to me today about that issue and really wake me up (like a slap in my face)

now I want to concentrate on character animation, make my skills really shine in one aspect.

Look at those work from top animators, I wonder how hard they work, if they work 20 hours a day, or they are simply genius?

I dont mind working hard, but I am worried about whether or not one day I will be good enough, say, within five years?

Anyone gives me some advice? I really need someone to point out the right direction.

Atyss
06-18-2002, 05:25 PM
I don't know what exactly what kind of advice you're looking for, but animation is like any artistic talent: you have it or you don't.

When you're in school there are things that are much easier to do, it's different for each people. For some it's animation, for others it's modelling, and so on. Good animators will create nice looking animation, though far from the Pixar level. You recognize a good animator when comparing it to all the demos available in the school.

But like any other artistic skill, animation needs to be developped. Extraordinary animators at schools are extremely rare.

You will develop animation by doing a lot a things: real world drawing (nude models), martial arts, analysing motion of people you see in the street and on movies.

But the very best way to develop animation skills is to do traditional (hand-drawn) animation. Most animators at large studios are former traditional animators.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

macoy
06-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the great advice!!!
That really helps!!!

"But like any other artistic skill, animation needs to be developped. Extraordinary animators at schools are extremely rare"
Think I still get a chance.....

Good news is I pratised tae-kwon-do, hehe.....

Bad news is traditional animation is really tedious work.....But I will definitely try some life drawing class later....

I dont have any artistic training before, but I will try to learn as much as I can. Hope it's not too late.

Atyss
06-18-2002, 05:36 PM
By the way, since you were asking how hard the pro-animators work, I recently read an interview with a Pixar animator. He said that a typical animator at Pixar produces 3 seconds of animation per week.

I suppose this is a 9 hours/day shift. But I assure you that as the deadline is closer this sum can go up to 18 hours (well, even 24!), and it's not just the animators.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

macoy
06-18-2002, 05:40 PM
As I said, dont mind working hard....:)

hope they get extra pay at Pixar. But from what I heard, many studios dont pay extra money for OT work.

BTW, how many years does it take to be a pro-animator?

meloncully
06-19-2002, 05:00 PM
i also read a story about some animator that was working to finish a project and he was working really long days (like 9 hours +) seven days a week in order to get his project done. Thats insane if you ask me.

Atyss
06-19-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by meloncully
i also read a story about some animator that was working to finish a project and he was working really long days (like 9 hours +) seven days a week in order to get his project done. Thats insane if you ask me.

It is insane but it's like this almost everywhere there is CG production.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

EdHarriss
06-19-2002, 06:21 PM
It goes up and down. I was on a project once that had me working 12 hours a day Monday-Saturday then 7 hours on Sunday. That's 79 hours a week. I did this for about 2 months straight. (after a couple of weeks it got old.) They wanted me to work over 79 hours a week, but the company had to start paying double time if I did, so they limited our work to 79.

I have also bee on projects that only needed a few hours a week work. That made up for it. So, most of the time, it ballances out in the end.

macoy
06-19-2002, 06:24 PM
so they need to double pay u if u work more than 79 hours/week......

god, they are so mean to keep it just under 79.....shame on them

dmonk
06-19-2002, 07:14 PM
"79 hours/week"

Most of the time I would tell someone to quit there bitchin suck it up but thats crazy talk with the 79 hours a week for two months.
But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. thats why you make the big bucks. (I hope you made big bucks for that)

doltman
06-19-2002, 08:24 PM
It is a sad state that most of these industries are in. The regular people who have families and lives outside of work are having to compete with people who work 60-80 hours/week and have almost no life. I love what I do very much but I also love to do a whole lot of other things too away from work. I guess you just have to realize where you draw the line on how much of you life you will sacrifice for your career.

Just my 2 bits...

XSeye
06-20-2002, 02:17 AM
If animating seemed like hard work to me - well I would NEVER do it.

macoy
06-20-2002, 09:32 AM
I love animation, but I also want to enjoy my life. It is LIFE!!!
Too bad to work with no life....hope it will change

raffael3d
06-20-2002, 10:58 AM
I also realized as soon as you make your hobby your profession life becomes pretty strange, the is no line anymore between job and hobby, so I think it's important to have something besides the computer.

Ed: 79 hours! only over 79 hours they have to pay you the double? shame on them, seems like they have no respect at all.

HapZungLam
06-23-2002, 05:39 PM
Atyss :

this is very interesting. Why did you say good animtion skill can be train by studying martial art. I did, but i don't find it helps.

Atyss
06-23-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
Atyss :

this is very interesting. Why did you say good animtion skill can be train by studying martial art. I did, but i don't find it helps.

Because studying martial arts (not necessarily yourself, but to closely observe those who practice) help you undertand balance of the body.

Also the martial artists sometimes practice movements in slow motion, so you can see what's happening with the balance, what moves first and what moves lasts.

Honestly I wish I still do martial arts (I did when I was young), so I could observe such things on myself.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

EdHarriss
06-24-2002, 01:30 AM
Yes, 79 hours. I didn't mind that they kept it under 80. I would have only gotten double for the extra hours over 79. Not double for everything. So, as you see, it was not that bad.

macoy
06-24-2002, 11:06 AM
dont quite get what u mean, edharris:surprised

"I would have only gotten double for the extra hours over 79. Not double for everything."

what does it mean? doesn't make sense to me:hmm:

EdHarriss
06-24-2002, 08:08 PM
It means that once you've worked 79 hours, every hour you go over that you get paid double.

So, if you are making $1 an hour, once you get to hour #80 you start making $2 an hour.

ggg
06-24-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
Atyss :

Atyss is right, it usually helps a lot.
some of my best students at character animation studied martial arts, but admittedly some that did martial arts showed no ability at character animation, most had never even thought about why they were good but it was very noticable that many of the intuitively good character animation students studied and practised martial arts.

macoy
06-25-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by macoy
dont quite get what u mean, edharris:surprised

"I would have only gotten double for the extra hours over 79. Not double for everything."

what does it mean? doesn't make sense to me:hmm:

But you work 79 hours for $1/h, ppl should earn double if it's over 40 hours (8h/day, 5days/week).

EdHarriss
06-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by macoy
But you work 79 hours for $1/h, ppl should earn double if it's over 40 hours (8h/day, 5days/week).

It does not work like that here in the U.S. Over 40 hours (8h/day, 5days/week) you'll get $1.5/h. Then at 80 you get $2/h.

macoy
06-25-2002, 04:08 PM
aaa, that's better:) wish I could work in the U.S for a while:) (Just for a while to have a taste 'cause I cant live without chinese food):p

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.