PDA

View Full Version : Severe OS crash--need help!

Lunatique
12-19-2003, 05:52 AM
I ordered broadband service from streamyx, and they came to install the modem and the dialer. The modem is just a USB connection, with no need for a driver. The dialer software installed halfway, and just hangs. Then, my PC would hang each time I tried to reboot--until it told me that a system file was corrupted. I tried to repair Windows 2000 Pro, and it didn't work. Finally, I reinstalled Windows, and tried installing the dailer again, and it worked. BUT, when I tried to reinstall the driver for my RAID-0, the same thing happened again--the PC now tells me that ntdetect cannot detect Windows on my PC.

My educated guess is that somehow, Streamyx's dailer software conflicts with my RAID-0 driver--and it causes a corruption in my Windows system files.

So, what can I do about this? Either cancel my broadband service and live without it, or give up my RAID-0, which contains one 80 GB harddrive, and one 200 GB harddrive? (I have two 40 GB drives that are not on RAID-0, and one of them is the main drive for Windows). The tech support at Streamyx are pretty clueless, so I don't expect them to be able to solve this.

dvornik
12-19-2003, 06:12 AM
read the next post - USB modems are BAD...

My guess would be that a "dialer" is a PPPOE software (generally loads of crap - authentication for broadband that doesn't really need to be there in the first place). In that case the best course of action would be to buy a cheap residential router (they are almost free these days - Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, whatever...) with PPPOE capabilities. That way you won't need to bother with software PPPOE and will be able to connect a bunch of computers to it and have home network.

dvornik
12-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Oh, and there's also a "better" PPPOE client - "RasPPPOE" or something. try if it works.

http://www.raspppoe.com/

[edit] Just realized it's a USB modem.... Do whatever you can to get an Ethernet modem, cause routers won't work with USB. Call and tell them you don't have enough free USB ports or whatever. There's no reason for them to force a USB modem on you. BTW some modems are both USB and Ethernet.

[edit again] And dude... You are wasting 120 GB of drive space in your RAID-0 setup - what's the point?

Lunatique
12-19-2003, 06:44 AM
I have RAID-0 because I already had two 40 GB harddrives, then added a 80 GB and a 200 GB. For some reason, the guy that installed the new harddrives for me said that Windows 2000 will only recognize the bigger capacity drives if I used RAID. I'm not a techie guy, so I let him do it. I didn't lose 120 GB space from it though. Why did you say I'm wasting 120 GB of space?

I still don't understand how a simple dailer software can cause such a severe problem. It's not like it's a driver or anything?

projectcoil
12-19-2003, 07:06 AM
You have to install the RAID drivers (option in windows setup) before you install windows if you want windows to be spanned across both hard drives.

dvornik
12-19-2003, 07:10 AM
OK, there are two issues here... I would need more information on your RAID to figure out how it's set up. There's no way i know of to setup all of those drives in one RAID-0 without losing space. Normally RAID-0 would be based on the smallest drive, but I don't know how windows own software RAID works. I'd be surprised if it can happily setup one big raid across all drives no matter what the size is without losing space.

Now, regardless, you would want to setup your broadband connection through Ethernet and preferably without dialler software at all. Not sure if in Malaysia there are any problems with it, but in the US you can pretty much demand an Ethernet modem from an ISP.

projectcoil
12-19-2003, 07:39 AM
edit: nm

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.