PDA

View Full Version : Transfering keys from one skeleton to another?

Randolph
12-18-2003, 11:20 PM
I hope it's not a RTFM question, but here's my problem: Let's say I've got two characters, one is perfectly animated :D, the other is not. Their bones and joints are identical. Now I want to copy the all the keys of character #1's skeleton and paste them to the skeleton of character #2. Is there an (easy) way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

macaroniKazoo
12-19-2003, 03:41 AM
you can try just copy/pasting the keys between them. if the skeleton heirarchy is the same, it *should* work.

if however it doesn't work, you can use this script to do teh transfer: zooXferAnim (http://www.macaronikazoo.com/mel/download/zooXferAnim.zip)

arcsecond
12-19-2003, 04:13 PM
I'd also like to plug my script jpTranferAnim (www.arcsecond.net/scripts/animation/jpTransferAnim_v1.5.zip) :-7

Hope this helps.

-James

nottoshabi
12-19-2003, 07:30 PM
Or you can use copy and paste from the dope sheet..

:bounce:

Randolph
12-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks a lot, people, that's what I wanted!:)

macaroniKazoo
12-23-2003, 01:05 AM
so which method did u end up going with?

Robken
12-23-2003, 01:01 PM
or you could make a clip for each character set in the trax editor, export those clips to a file and then import them on your new character.

it's probably the safest way too. that's how you get it fed in 'instant maya'

arcsecond
12-29-2003, 06:09 PM
I would recomend AGAINST making character nodes and exporting clips via the Trax editor. It's very VERY twitchy about what things are named and their relationships to one another. I transfered animation that way for one project and it was a nightmare figuring out exactly how trax wanted me to do things. In fact that project was the reason i wrote my jpTransferAnim script.

Hope this helps.

-James

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.