PDA

View Full Version : realistic head texturing

tal flint
06-18-2002, 03:45 PM
hi

can anybody post a tutorial or share their method of creating good skin textures for head surfacing ?

i'm mostly interested in creating all the different skin shades and solor spots in photoshop.

thanks

tal

leigh
06-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Steven Stahlberg's Face Tutorial (http://www.androidblues.com/tutorial/workshop.html)
Check that one out :)

tal flint
06-18-2002, 04:29 PM
can anybody translate that to LW surfacing ?:rolleyes:

leigh
06-18-2002, 04:42 PM
hmmmm that's a good point :p I also use LW.... Ummm... well I guess your best bet is to use Photographs as reference, and paint your image maps in the meantime.
Then, when all your maps are done, create your surface, and just tweak the values until it looks right...I guess....:hmm:

tal flint
06-18-2002, 05:19 PM
well....

that was my question :-)

what methods do you use to paint all the shades and blemishes in the skin ?

leigh
06-18-2002, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah, that's true - sorry my brain's a bit overwhelmed today...

Okay, painting skin.
Well, as I said, the best way to start of painting skin is to get a good photographic reference. Then, I usually use the eyedropper to select the different colours out of the photo, and use them as the base colours for my image (which, for a face, I'd probably be using a planar unwrap). This, however, usually doesn't give you the exact desired result, so once you have that "base" plain skin layer, you will probably have to tweak it somewhat before it looks right.
If you have very high res photos, you can also just use the clone tool to clone blemishes and such. Otherwise, you just kinda have to judge by eye. I'm very much like that - I just judge everything by how it looks, and if it doesn't look right then I tweak it or re-do it. That's just how I work.
There is no single method of painting any kind of texture, you just have to do what looks right...

leigh
06-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Hey check this awesome thread out:
old man (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10937)
This guy painted all his textures himself, and the results are incredible!

tal flint
06-18-2002, 08:20 PM
i saw that
amazing
if he would only share his way of work with us :hmm:

Jeremy
06-19-2002, 08:41 AM
the main thing is you just have to sit down and do it. I used to look all over the net for the way people would paint faces but it doesn't really get you far. The best way I've found to learn it is to get an example of a texture that someone has painted and just try to copy it. As Leigh said just use the eyedropper tool to get the colors they used and try to paint the same texture they have. This should give you a good feel for the techniques that you need to use to make a good map so you can start making ones on your own. Also be prepared to spend some time on it. Hand painting skin textures takes quite awhile. Just get in a relaxing mood and try to enjoy doing it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.