PDA

View Full Version : tiffy's getting there

arai
01-22-2002, 04:54 AM
http://members.home.net/danmayer114477/jan_21.jpg

it's getting there. The lack of specularity is due to the lighting set up, the model has spec and proper spec maps. Now I just have to get the spinner finished and get a prop on this puppy. Pretty soon I'll get to try some compositing set ups if I'm lucky

-arai-

studiomiguel
01-22-2002, 04:58 AM
I love the texture on your model. Nice realism. What app is this modeled in? Are you maps planar/cylindrical or are you using uv's?

arai
01-22-2002, 05:03 AM
thanks, its modeled in lightwave. All maps are applied with uvs (though the uvs are mostly based on planar maps except for a few exceptions)

-arai-

Vic3k
01-22-2002, 05:08 AM
yap sweet, my demo real is going to be about ww2, if i do vehicles the way you did then i will stop considering myself a looser :)

LordIron2k
01-22-2002, 05:13 AM
looks realy realistic, but can u add some dirt to the plane!!

Stephan

max3d
01-22-2002, 05:32 AM
Beautiful! Looks like the modeling is exact, as well as texturing;

If people would see it in the movie, they would probably think it's real.

Well Done, it would be even better, when you add lightning.

Is it a film/video project?

;)

Staffan Norling
01-22-2002, 05:46 AM
Awdamnit...I see some mighty good texture there!

Staffan Norling
01-22-2002, 05:48 AM
Soo....where can see more work made by you?

arai
01-22-2002, 05:58 AM
I thought everyone would be asleep, just got 255 views in like 15 min?!

This plane was an attempt to learn texturing in lightwave (my first attempt in LW)

Iron, yeah I'll probably dirty it up some more before I'm done.

max3d, its a personal attempt to learn lightwave is what it is. I'm hoping to get it composited for a personal project and just to learn more.

Staffan, unfortunatly this is one of the first things I've had a chance to work on recently that isn't locked up in non-disclosure agreements. I hope to be getting some more projects done soon so I'll keep posting them as I make them. When I have enough I'll piece together a web page. I'll post if/when it goes up

thanks guys

-arai-

Staffan Norling
01-22-2002, 06:05 AM
Asleep? It's 10:00 am damnit. :p

No wonder everybody watches your thread when they link to here from the mainpage of cgchannel.com...:)

Thoth
01-22-2002, 09:11 AM
Nice textures. How high is the resolution of them?

epatnor
01-22-2002, 09:18 AM
Very nice detail work Arai! Now - get it dirty!!! :)

And add dirt trails after the smoke from the exhaust pipes on the planes body ... :) Really nice dude!

FrageNSTEIN
01-22-2002, 09:35 AM
You should make dirt stains on the front of the wings and nose, and have paint peeling off the nose. Hehe.

D

Dis
01-22-2002, 10:52 AM
wow really great ! somehow it seems to me like specularity isn't really needed ... i mean it looks awesomely realistic doesn't it ? maybe some blurred reflections would enhance this rather than spec maps !

kiwisheep
01-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Wow, this is the first time I saw a 3D model that really looks like a real one. Can you display the wireframe of this model?

Konyn
01-22-2002, 03:34 PM
We want close-ups! :D

the textures are brilliant!

I also realy like to see the model without the textures and a wireframe version

Blackarts
01-22-2002, 04:14 PM
The textures ar gorgeous - well done! Are they photo reference?

Staffan Norling
01-22-2002, 04:34 PM
da old thread with wireframes and stuff:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=587

:)

meloncully
01-22-2002, 05:29 PM
that is a really nice plane. The textures are increadible!

And what is it that you mean when you say you have a non-disclosure contract or whatever? Are you working on a project for a major company that you can't post pics up of?

and what program do you usually use, because you had said that it was an attempt to learn lightwave.

________
meloncully

arai
01-22-2002, 05:54 PM
thanks everybody, I used photo reference for the model to make sure I got all the details down, the textures are all hand painted in photoshop, and I made up the markings and aircraft numbers (not based on an actual aircraft that served in wwII). And yeah nda, or non-disclosure agreement is a contract signed that prevents you from talking or showing what you are working on.

As for software I've used a few different ones, maya for awhile, 3dsmax recently, but these are for game models, so I decided to learn a new package for some high-res personal projects.

-arai-

behzad
01-22-2002, 06:32 PM
The nose only needs a bit of scratches. Otherwise, a very good job.

Ethangar
01-22-2002, 09:20 PM
My God she is pretty! Your skill at texturing makes my poor Tempest look like CRAP! How did you build it? Splines and patches? did you subD it to smooth it out. I want to know the texture res too!!! Sigh. I have to stop looking at other peoples work..

Renders World (http://www.rendersworld.com)

Daxx
01-22-2002, 10:44 PM
:) Great Texture!! but get it dirty! :D

evan
01-23-2002, 04:08 AM
Looking very good arai. Saw your original model on the alt.binaries newsgroup. Great to see it with textures. I'm actually working on a Mk VIII Spitfire at the moment. Anyway, just wanted to say well done. More, more!.....

arai
01-23-2002, 04:20 PM
Hey evan, yeah I remember the spit, it was looking really good last time I saw it. I'm finding the hardest part now is figuring out what to do next, I've got piles and piles of books at home and I'm sorting through them deciding what to make. I'm thinking I'd like to do the oh-6 little bird. Or maybe stick with wwII and go for a he-111 for my typhoon to do some runs on... so many aircraft, so hard to decide.

-arai-

evan
01-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Arai, exactly what I'm trying to decide on at the moment. I'm working on a pilot presently, and still playing with the textures. It would be nice to do a Me bf 110 or something similar and like you said, do a few runs on. Kind of like the spits in the movie Pearl Harbour... my favourite part of the movie. Anyway, good luck with it.

Skyraider3D
01-29-2002, 03:33 AM
Awesome job, man!!! Superb model,great textures!

Ignore any "make it dirty" remarks please, it is already overdone in my opinion. Bare metal on British planes was not so common. Have some patches of zinc-chromate primer shown through too!
And un-mirror those damage textures please ;)

Now make a photoreal render of it! :)

Do you happen to have a website?

If you like 3D art and planes, please visit my website: www.skyraider3d.com (http://home.wanadoo.nl/r.j.o/skyraider)

Evan, Spits in Pearl Harbor? Eh.... you mean those P-40s? :p

evan
01-29-2002, 03:51 AM
There are Spitfires in the MOVIE Pearl Harbour. When "what's his name" goes over to fight with the brits against germany he flies a Spitfire. But who really cares eh? I was just thinking of that particular scene, and how it would be ok to re create that.

Seeya

Skyraider3D
01-29-2002, 04:20 AM
O right, sorry! :) Yes you are right!
I haven't seen it myself yet, to be honest. I love the scene where P-40 chases the zero at about 3 feet from the ground! :)

Actually, I am going to do that now... playing Il-2 :))))
(http://www.il2sturmovik.com > get it! :D)

evan
01-29-2002, 05:57 AM
Yeah, no problems!

Have played IL2 (demo) and was very impressed. A little interested in creating skins for similar games. What's involved?

Cheers

Skyraider3D
01-29-2002, 06:06 AM
Making skins for Il-2 is very easy. Download the templates here:
http://www.il2sturmovik.com/games_elts/paint_schemes.php

I made one so far: http://home.wanadoo.nl/r.j.o/skyraider/temp/la-5fn.jpg

They are simple 256-colour 512x512 bmps that are placed in the appropriate directory in the game.

The full game is better than the demo. In fact, they just released version 2 of the demo! :) Get the full thing anyway, it's great fun online!

evan
01-29-2002, 10:14 AM
thanks Skyraider, downloading them now.....

by the way, just wanted to say what a nice website you have. Nice images, etc. that is.

Skyraider3D
01-29-2002, 11:43 PM
Thanks Evan!
Have you tried playing with the Shockwave 3D models on my site yet? :)

JFYI, I will be making a couple of IL-2 skins and put the up for download on my website.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.