PDA

View Full Version : Would you change to Mac because of Shake?

Milho
06-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Might be interesting in the conversation.

Thought of "allready" sorry...

wgriffiths2000
06-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Hehe the funny thing is that alot of people would not end up switching but companies would.

beaker
06-27-2002, 08:17 AM
This poll isn't very reletive to the people who hang here. It is like asking people here if they prefer a porsche, lamborgini or have a limo drive them to work every day. 99% of the people on this forum aren't in a position to make this kind of decision. People will use whatever software the company they work for uses whether they like operating system/hardware or not.

If you actually were making this kind of decision would you even have money in the budget to throw away $10,000 per license software and spend another $5-10k per license on another software package when the current one allready does the job? Back about 4 years ago I was given the money to setup a small digital department in a company I had to make every penny count. You can't just carelessly throw money around. If I ever told my boss that I had to throw away 10k software package simply because I didn't like that Apple bought NR he would either laugh at me or fire me for stupidity or probably both.

Milho
06-27-2002, 12:57 PM
That's a general problem in polls. just think of "do you like my picture?" who can tell who makes the vote and why?
If more people vote you can better imagine what most people think. if their position affects anythink is not the question. but i think it's interesting though. if you don't like it don't vote :) not much votes anyway here but at least we can tell with this poll what the people in this forum (or at least the people woh voted ;) ) think indepent of their position in life.

people talk of politics although they can't change them

:wip:

Trilabite
07-01-2002, 02:43 AM
http://www.litebook.com/htdocs/media/ttmovie.wmv

e_raser
08-13-2004, 05:28 PM
well i think that regardless of the company's preference/convenience towards one platform-software or whatever, there's allways good stuff and things that don't work, if shake would not exist, i'd still use mac, plain simple.

Aneks
08-16-2004, 05:56 AM
after many years as a pc/sgi user. I found myself confronted by the dielma of having to go over to OsX in order to continue to use shake, because my last two employers either refused or were not interested in supporting linux and were prepared to shell out for macs.

After initial teething problems I found myself very happy with the new OsX and all that gubbins and in my last job I was lucky enough to have a dual 2ghz G5 so things weren't all bad.

i didn't really mind going to OsX until they put a new Dual Xeon HP on my desk (for Maya and adobe stuff) when I opened some of my afterFX scenes on that... :eek: it was an order of magnitude faster. I actually really like macs now but they are not fast enough (for the cost !) and their insistance on radeon cards has given me too many head aches !

That said it depends on the size and setup of your facility. In my old job I was compositing myshots and shots from other guys in my 3d depatment as well as doing straight comp jobs in afterFx and Shake. Where I am now, its much bigger, all shake is done on linux by people who only use shake all day. The same artist almost never does 3d and high order compositing. As a result all the 3d stations have fusion and maya installed. I can almost garantee that if apple were still offering shake on PC they would sell 30 more lisences in this department alone.

Its a funny old world !

Milho
08-16-2004, 04:29 PM
It's funny how apple wants to aquire the vfx/postproduction market with macs cause (as you said) the prices they offer are not comparebale to the performance you get on win/linux for the same money.
We can be proud that a semiprofessional single workstation is affordable today compared to what "workstations" used to be in bloom of sgi. And apple is a little step back.
I know apple has its beneftis (used to work for 3 moths on apples as an intern) but im my mind linux as the fastest growing os has good chances to become the os of choice in many companies soon. Not counting all the pros AND cons but as a matter of fact, today as I hold a (pretty bad and commercial) pc magazine in my hands, I am suprised that there are lot of linux articles out there. And aren't more and more companies thinking about porting their product to linux, eg eyeon's Ditial Fusion? (Though since it was the press 2002 eyeon has not shown anything else, time to ask on the IBC)
And companies in the 3D Sector also have at least a linux version hidden somewhere on the page (talking about XSI and Maya). Compared to Apple noone "forces" the companies to port their products to linux. I guess it's all on users demand.

The times are good for linux. And as long big companies like HP support it I wouldn't worry about future.

And mac? Well I saw beautiful things done with macs but I didn't believed in Dual G5s when they were showed off in IBC last year.... Apple makes big shows but after all stability AND performance AND affordable prices will last longer than pretty buttons.

mark_wilkins
08-19-2004, 10:36 PM
i didn't really mind going to OsX until they put a new Dual Xeon HP on my desk (for Maya and adobe stuff) when I opened some of my afterFX scenes on that... :eek: I have a dual G5 at home and a new dual Xeon HP at work, and I guarantee you that in the instance of Maya or Shake the Xeon is *not* an "order of magnitude" faster. Depending on the task, it may be 15 to 20% faster, although I have not yet compared Maya 6, which has substantial Mac-specific speed improvements.

In the instance of Shake, though, the facts that the Mac version of Shake is 40% less expensive than the Linux version ($3K per seat instead of $5K) and that the Mac version comes with unlimited OS X network render licenses both make up for an awful lot even if the workstations are somewhat more expensive. And remember, the larger your installation the less likely you are to build your own machines, which is the only way to achieve substantial cost savings over the Mac on the Intel-compatible side of the fence.

BTW, remember that differences in After Effects speed are not great predictors of differences in other applications. After Effects is not a whole lot like Shake or any other compositing package with which I'm familiar in how it stresses the system.

As for stability, OS X has a very mature code base (much of which derives from NeXTStep, which has been around for fifteen years) and displays OS stability that's consistent with that. As for Shake's stability, well, I remember that being an issue on all platforms five years ago but right now it's pretty solid on all platforms.

-- Mark

DiGiman
09-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Right now I am compositing a fairly heavy shot in shake. I am using shake 3.5 on my dual 2ghz G5. Just for fun I opened the project on my dual 2.6 ghz xeon running shake 3 in Linux. The G5 was faster. It wasn't much, but the new code is optimised for the mac and it did perform better. I was actually a little surprised, because maya runs quite a bit faster on the xeon machine.

Hugh
09-09-2004, 09:26 AM
You know, it could have been that they optimised various bits of code in 3.5.....

Just a thought... ;)

SalaTar
09-09-2004, 04:20 PM
3.5 is works faster on Nix too.

http://homepage.mac.com/breadboi/shake/

add some more tests Id like to see opterons on nix times

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.