PDA

View Full Version : "Fight Club" Videogame!

RobertoOrtiz
12-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Quote:

"In David Fincher's under-appreciated FIGHT CLUB, protagonist Edward Norton would describe how he felt by referring to his feelings or even his possessions in the third person. While Fincher's movie never performed to the satisfaction of 20th Century Fox's expectations, it's become one of the past decade's cult films and attracted a hardcore following of fans (this writer included.) But does the anti-consumerism message of FIGHT CLUB fall apart when a video game is about to be made from it?

That's right: there's a video game of FIGHT CLUB now in development. Genuine Games is developing the game which will be published by Vivendi Universal Games next fall for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox game platforms. No doubt due to the tremendous success of fighting games like STREET FIGHTER, SOUL CALIBUR and dozens of others, the FIGHT CLUB video game will focus solely on beating the living snot out of your opponent in underground fight clubs. To be fair VU Games is promising that the "characters, settings, artistic style, and story elements" from Fincher's movie will be retained in the game but it's hard to see any existentialist musings by Edward Norton's character included in the screenshots supplied by the company. VU Games say that an ultra-realistic approach to the fighting aspect is being delivered "that will capture the raw intensity of street fighting that will appeal to movie fans, hardcore fighting game fans and casual gamers alike," says Luc Vanhal, VU Games' North American President and COO. "

>>link<< (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Games&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270351&obj_id=40430)

>>Game Site<< (http://vugames.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=787)

-R

Icarus
12-18-2003, 02:38 PM
awsome, but i hope this doesnt end up to be a lame-same ol' bash em up game, i hope theres some storly or depth to i... too many games comming out with no substance or originality

Neil
12-18-2003, 02:39 PM
What's a "GLUB" ? :D

PhilOsirus
12-18-2003, 03:49 PM
I saw that two days ago and I must ask myself "uh... why?". The movie has been released years ago, the books even more years ago, now out of nowhere a videogame? It didn't look very interesting from what I saw. And anyway, movies-to-game 99.9% of the time equal not-good, unless it's James Bond or some such.

sjaak
12-18-2003, 05:18 PM
to bad... i think i won't like the direction that was choosen for the game... At first i didn't want to see th emovie because i thaught it was about just simple beating. Thankfully a friend just kept on hammering i had to see it.
In my oponion the game would be at his best if it would follow the script a bit... with twisted plotpoints. (maybe a bit like in memoriam or something)

Ow well we'll see.

Oupalline
12-18-2003, 06:32 PM
i am truly disapointed that this is happening. it seems that whenever something gets a little popular it has to be sucked dry of all it's potential. Fight club was ana amazing book and an amazing movie. Why can't we just leave it at that???

cause any chance we have to make money we will take it, even if it means destroying somethin.

suck it dry till it's got nothing left....

craiggulow
12-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Not a good choice for a game IMHO. However, if you are going to make a Fight Club game, why make a fighter? Why not make a strategy game where you put together a group of average guys to over-throw the corporate powers that be? And to kick it up a bit, why not give the player a chance to win by losing? If they can stop their alternate personalities mechanations without outright killing themselves, they win.

PhilOsirus
12-18-2003, 11:12 PM
cause any chance we have to make money we will take it, even if it means destroying somethin.

Yeah, except they aren't very good at figuring out what WILL make money and what WON'T.

stakk4
12-19-2003, 12:42 AM
yeah, looks like SOMEONE broke the first and second rules of fight club.

GRMac13
12-19-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Oupalline

suck it dry till it's got nothing left....

Um, exactly what is it that they are "destroying" here? Even if the game sucks (which still remains to be seen), it'll have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the content of the book or the film. They've been out there for years as it is, and unless Genuine is going to muscle Fincher to reshoot the film to fit their game, there is nothing to worry about for fans of the movie.

Also, I'm always shocked how people can judge something based on nothing more than a few sentences. Until you play the game, you can't critique it or claim that it's somehow destructive to something.

PhilOsirus
12-19-2003, 03:12 AM
I don't like to critique people's work, but IGN has some pictures and based on that I don't see the point of making this game. Criticism goes to those that gave the go-ahead for this project instead of something new that's all.

Diamant
12-19-2003, 03:55 AM
Phil.. those shot are very early.. i guarantee things will look much better in the final version.. there are some really cool ideas in this game.. i wouldn't bash it til you see it or play it.. if a game is fun..who cares what the name of it is.. or what its based on.. isn't that whats important?

Peter Reynolds
12-19-2003, 08:07 AM
they wanted to destroy something beautiful...

Iain McFadzen
12-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Whoring out the license of the most anti-consumerist film ever made?

lol

I am Jack's deep sense of irony.

red_oddity
12-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Diamant
if a game is fun..who cares what the name of it is.. or what its based on.. isn't that whats important?

Not really, the reason why they name some dumb game after a succesfull movie is for one reason and one reason alone...to make as much money as fast as possible when the word isn't out yet that the game has absolutely nothing to do with the movie and the game probably isn't even worth spending your hard earned cash on it, whether it would be $50 for the actual game or $1 you spend on the CDR to burn it on after having been fooled into spending your valuable bandwith on downloading it (and i'm really sorry to say this, because i know it hurts the people who actually spend 18 months of their lives on such a product, but so many bad games are made by corporate excs and producers who think they know what gamers want without ever having touched an actual game themselves in their entire life)

red_oddity
12-19-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Iain McFadzen
Whoring out the license of the most anti-consumerist film ever made?

lol

They're making a blockbuster movie about anti-consumerism?

or

They made a best seller about anti-consumerism?

PhilOsirus
12-19-2003, 01:30 PM
In the end we'll see with the reviews. I hate criticising people's work, especially anything CG related cause I know that there are people working on this game that are members here. I know they'll all do the best they can, it's justs ometimes some choice executives take are strange. I'd put all the chances on my side to make sure we as a company and a team do not work for a long time on a game that will be difficult to market/sell at all.

kwshipman
12-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Diamant
Phil.. those shot are very early.. i guarantee things will look much better in the final version.. there are some really cool ideas in this game.. i wouldn't bash it til you see it or play it.. if a game is fun..who cares what the name of it is.. or what its based on.. isn't that whats important?

you are working on this arnt you?:thumbsup:

FloydBishop
12-19-2003, 05:02 PM
In defense of Diamant (whether or not he's working on this title), early videogame shots/descriptions are almost never a reflection of what the final will be like.

It's a fine line between building up a buzz for your title and showing too much too soon.

I'll play this game when it comes out. The screenshots I've seen remind me of Pitfighter or Final Fight. I liked those games, so I'll probably enjoy this one.

Diamant
12-19-2003, 05:20 PM
yes kwshipman :) and like i said.. i guarantee it wont look like the screenshots you see now :)

Barbas
12-19-2003, 10:03 PM
Well i dunno maybe if they wnated to make such a game thry shouldn't license a movie like fight club cause if anything the movie does much more than showing a buch of guys fight. This is an oversimplification of what the movie is.

Edgemaster
12-20-2003, 01:58 AM
Why!!!..Why!!..they could have done something special here..nahh they go with body builder type guys..why not have Bob and skinny jack...That would be something different...Not the perfect body fighters everyone is used to....the imperfections that people have....Those screen shots looked too clean...Wonder if there will be bonus rounds of project mayhem in it....hehe.....Wonder if Marla will be a hidden character....

kwshipman
12-20-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Edgemaster
Why!!!..Why!!..they could have done something special here..nahh they go with body builder type guys..why not have Bob and skinny jack...That would be something different...Not the perfect body fighters everyone is used to....the imperfections that people have....Those screen shots looked too clean...Wonder if there will be bonus rounds of project mayhem in it....hehe.....Wonder if Marla will be a hidden character....

dude, calm down, these are very early screens that only show 2 charecters. And we have already heard from one of their artists who said that it wont look like thoes screens. So take a deep breath, and wait to see what the finished product looks like before you freak.

RockinAkin
12-20-2003, 04:37 AM
Even if they do create the best game ever developed on the planet - it's still a complete failure in every aspect possible.

PhilOsirus
12-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Even if they do create the best game ever developed on the planet - it's still a complete failure in every aspect possible.

How does that make any sense? Reviews are often stop-on in the videogame industry, if they give it a good review it will sell and hence be a success. We'll see:) And congrats to Diamant!:thumbsup:

RockinAkin
12-21-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"
How does that make any sense? Reviews are often stop-on in the videogame industry, if they give it a good review it will sell and hence be a success. We'll see:) And congrats to Diamant!:thumbsup:
Have you seen the Film, or read the book?

If you have, then you'll realize how the act of creating a video game of this type to capitalize on the "Fight Club" name is in complete contradiction to the central message of the Film / Novel.

(No disrespect meant for any artists working on it.)

PhilOsirus
12-21-2003, 06:12 AM
Well so was selling various clothing articles based on the movie. And if Tyler was there he'd say so was making a movie, or writing a book!;)

t-man152
12-21-2003, 07:05 AM
ohh gosh this is so stupid. The game just seems to be a stupid fighing game. the movie unlike it's title is not just a bunch of people who meet and fight. it's about problems in society. well whatever I guess the fight is the only thing people wanted to see and didnt care about the deeper story. too bad for them

Levitateme
12-21-2003, 04:13 PM
wow looks terrible.

hesido
01-08-2004, 10:13 PM
I hope this NEVER comes out.

If I was given this task of making such a game, I'd HAVE to make it on linux and opensource or otherwise I wouldn't be able to get any sleep and would have to attend fighting Tuberclosis meetings :)

Anyway, HOW STUPID can one go to make just a silly beat'em-up game out of such an excellent movie with things to tell.. If they really HAD to do sth, they could do a first or 3rdperson game with sub missions like damaging 5 new beetles , bringing seeds for birds to poo, drawing a giant smiley on a building (well I these are just from the movie, but sky is the limit :) :) ) Anyway, better off not making a game at all because one could argue that the movie is not about those either!!!

I think this is only done to show how Capitalism crushes everything, and even the legendary movie Fight Club. They are giving us a message boys, telling us they can make money out of everything inc., well, everything :)

JasonOsipa
01-08-2004, 10:59 PM
If you don't think you'll like it, say so, but don't ATTACK it like it owes you money and f***ed your wife. I mean, god, if you're gonna tear it a hole, at least do it with a punchline, SOMETHING worth reading.

People work really hard on stuff like this, people pay their bills with this, people raise families on this. How does everyone forget that? ESPECIALLY on a cg board with "artists looking for work" threads? HOW? If the pros wrote things like this when some of the newbs showed up everyone would quit. What good does that do?

HOPE IT NEVER COMES OUT? Yeah, I hope everyone on this game has to show up to work one day and get laid off too. I mean, it's not really affecting my life one way or the other, but I hope they all get screwed. F*** 'em. Just 'cuz. That's class-act.

No, I don't work on it -but I interviewed there before taking my current job, and even though I had to turn that job down, I got to talk a lot with the guys running the shop and, they are good people with good ideas, GREAT experience and a solid vision. I hope this thing does great. Why would anyone *hope* any different? Sure, critique, maybe even suggest, but to just BLAST is so harsh.

I hope you guys don't see THIS is an attack. Seriously, read what's written in this thread. Why so angry? That's what I don't understand.

-J.

kwshipman
01-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by JasonOsipa
If you don't think you'll like it, say so, but don't ATTACK it like it owes you money and f***ed your wife. I mean, god, if you're gonna tear it a whole, at least do it with a punchline, SOMETHING worth reading.

People work really hard on stuff like this, people pay their bills with this, people raise families on this. How does everyone forget that? ESPECIALLY on a cg board with "artists looking for work" threads? HOW? If the pros wrote things like this when some of the newbs showed up everyone would quit. What good does that do?

HOPE IT NEVER COMES OUT? Yeah, I hope everyone on this game has to show up to work one day and get laid off too. I mean, it's not really affecting my life one way or the other, but I hope they all get screwed. F*** 'em. Just 'cuz. That's class-act.

No, I don't work on it -but I interviewed there before taking my current job, and even though I had to turn that job down, I got to talk a lot with the guys running the shop and, they are good people with good ideas, GREAT experience and a solid vision. I hope this thing does great. Why would anyone *hope* any different? Sure, critique, maybe even suggest, but to just BLAST is so harsh.

I hope you guys don't see THIS is an attack. Seriously, read what's written in this thread. Why so angry? That's what I don't understand.

-J.

I was going to say something along those lines but was having a hard time being so nice about it. Thanks for preventing me from sounding like an a**.:thumbsup:

Seriously people, its just a game, if you don't want it don't buy it. If you don't like the idea of a game based on this movie then just ignore it. You all talk about some higher ideal, how this game is just capitalizing on the "Fight Club" higher moral, but so did the movie, and the clothes, and the soundtrack, etc. If you believe so strongly about people not making money off of the "Fight Club" premise, then stop watching the movie, because you are just supporting the capitalistic people that earn money from producing it.

How can you people judge a game with only a few screen shots, especially when an employee of that company has already said here that:

those shot are very early.. i guarantee things will look much better in the final version.. there are some really cool ideas in this game.. i wouldn't bash it til you see it or play it

Give it time, maybe they will have some of the philosophy of "Fight Club" in the game. You just don't know.

hesido - I seriously doubt that the people working on this game sat down and said to them selves, "Lets make a game to show these people how capitalism crushes everything and tell them that we can make money out of everything." More than likely they are fans of the movie, and wanted to translate that to a game, which is their art.

come on people, its just a game!

hesido
01-09-2004, 01:21 AM
:blush:

I am soo sorry to have said all those. You really got your point. That game never coming out, I was way off..

But JasonOsipa's punchline is no better than anyone's, about that wife being sexually molested. It is not JasonOsipa this reply is for but kwshipman who wrote in acceptable style.

I have to tell you that I have nothing against the decent honest people working for it, but I am against the people making them work for it, they could have assigned them to a better job!
It is such a bad idea for me to try to capitalize on that movie and in such a way. I won't post on this anymore even if I get more flame, take good care of yourselves..

Anyway I am deeply sorry for saying words that could imply that I want those people lose their jobs, because I don't want such a thing.

PhilOsirus
01-09-2004, 03:47 AM
I agree with Jason, as said in my previous posts. I used to say comment like this too, but then again as much as we may not like something it doesn't mean people didn't work hard on it. Seriously I don't know how I would be able to turn Fight Club in a videogame if Fox asked me to, but some people are gonna do it; it's now their jobs. :thumbsup:

Grayscale
01-17-2004, 11:39 PM
I know I'm responding to this thread late, but I just need to.

I have a close close friend working on this title and he told me the screen shots are older and that they don't do it justice. I love how everyone makes judgements about a game simply because it is taken from a movie. So WHAT. if you haven't played the game yet, how can you possibly know whether it's going to be good or not. That's like looking at a sheet of paper that says MOVIE with:
Big Name actor
Big Name actress
Big Name director
no name writer

and saying that it will be awful because noone knows the writer. I mean really, all the top writers had to be no name at one point, correct? I'm not saying you shouldn't have your opinions, but...don't you think you should reserve judgement until after the game comes out?

Edit: And you guys are constantly complaining about it being just a fighting game. How do you know that there will not be any story? Or even the sub-missions that you guys are so desperately wanting out of this game? Also, you talk about the capitalism of making this game. I know someone said it early, but i'm going to say it again...SO IS THE MOVIE and THE BOOKS. Video games is just a different medium to bring it to us in. yes? So all of you get off the high horses you rode in on and just wait and see. I'm going to laugh when in a few weeks after the game is released, the same people will be on praising the game.

dcroeser
01-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Actually it is a miracle that the movie ever got made. It is a big risk trying to sell a film with this kind of anti-social message. As far as I know it wasn't a box office success. It has more of a cult following.

Games are just a new frontier of creative expression. I must admit that it did come as a bit of a shock when I heard that they were making a game. But so what? I like to believe that there is still art in the gaming industry even if there are corporate publishing godzillas bent on destroying what little creativity there is left. I say give it a chance. It could be just another mindless beat 'em up but then again it might not be.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.