PDA

View Full Version : Time lapse: Creature Face

Levitateme
12-18-2003, 02:02 PM
hello, i never ever post stuff on here becuase it just gets swallowed up. but some friends asked if i would post some time lapse stuff i have done. cause i dont "BOX" model anything. i have a method were i draw my shapes in and then start to extrude. i showed this method to one friend of mine his stuff has improved tremendously over the past few months. but i figured i would post and maybe see what people think...its a great way to get nice edge loops.

Time lapse face 5 mb (http://home.bresnan.net/~planetofsound/Taffy.wmv)

actarusprocyon
12-18-2003, 02:50 PM
First off,you could use a file format that everyone would be able to read easily,WMV is about the last thing to consider and in my opinion you should rather go for Mpeg or Avi,I've managed to get a 7:56 min. 486 x 389pp avi down to 1.5MB using a very low framerate a painful manual snag and a standard compression.

Since almost only the results count,the only comment I can make on the video itself is,if you're going for PbP,edge extr. ect make sure you define the main features first,a bit like defining the volume,so you don't sculpt in vain when you still have open surfaces.

A good example of what I mean is the way I used to do it,before converting to box.

Basically,you need to have a good idea of the topology,there's a good image I would've given you the link to but unfortunately,Correct-Proportions (http://www.cgtalk.com/index.php?s=) is having a rehaul right now so you'll have to search here,I'm sure it won't be long.

The way I used to do it was like almost everyone else,Make a polygon,center it on the forehead,extrude the profile all the way down to the pecs,extruded the Forehead,temp,jaw edgeloop then the chine,smile line,nose bridge loop, and so on as I also filled quickly the empty area first,then I was able to move on to sculpting and adding detail,personalize it...

I'm pretty sure I didn't invent anything though ;)

Levitateme
12-18-2003, 03:14 PM
thanks actarusprocyon

i didnt know people couldnt view wmv like...everyone. well im using camtasia producer for compressing. and my original avi file was 90mb. so i just used camtasia wmv compression. im trying something differnt now...what do you use to compress?

KidderD
12-19-2003, 02:15 PM
BPT rocks !! I bought it, but have only used it to modify and to do fine detail for my character, haven't created from scratch yet.. altho can't wait for blendshapes.

I may be ignorant here, but what do correct proportions have to do with an alien? Sometimes, using only references can stifle creativity. It's an alien and it's supposed to be different. I mean sometimes, don't you just wanna get in and shape to your hearts content, not on a production or anything, cuz then planning is everything, and thats when the 2d art comes in (arrghh!!) but I get the sense this one was just an exercise in creativity.... there's nothing wrong with that is there?

Merry Christmas everyone !!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.