PDA

View Full Version : Xp - and swapping in videocards etc

nervouselk
12-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Ok so I have all the parts on order I wonder if anyone had any hints on how to swap the motherboard/cpu/memory on a system? Will XP go mental? I know that it limits how many things you swap before it complains. Also will it boot up ok if I just take the motherboard/cpu/memory out and put the new stuff in?

Razorwolf
12-18-2003, 09:11 AM
There's indeed a limit to what you can change before the system goes mental. However, I think that if you uninstall each and every driver you'll be fine.

What I always do is a good ol' format.

stephen2002
12-18-2003, 02:16 PM
I belive you are refering to the activation feature. I think that if you were to change things one at a time you won't have a problem with it.

I have a feeling that changing the motherboard, CPU, and memory all at once will require you to call Microsoft for a new activation code.

You might want to search their web site as they probably have a guide as to how much stuff you can change at once before having to re-activate the product.

Razorwolf
12-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Ooh talking about that. Never had problems with it.

Valkyrien
12-18-2003, 03:18 PM
it really depends on the parts, and whether or not XP likes them. I've been able to swap out a hard drive and put it in an entirely different computer. It took a while for Windows to figure the system out, but after that I was good to go:)

3Dfx_Sage
12-18-2003, 04:55 PM
if you have the OEM version of XP there is none of this activation crap, you can do whatever you want with it

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.