PDA

View Full Version : Can I learn VFX by myself, or do I need a course?

iamhereintheworld
04-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Hey,
I was wondering if it's not possible to learn things like After Effects and Eyeon Fusion completely from tuts on the net, instead of signing up for a course which will cost money.....? My option is either to do that, and buy myself a video camera with which I can experiment, and make movies, or to take a course, after which I won't have enough money to buy a camera (which I would dearly love to do!)

So.... what do I do? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

pingking
04-29-2013, 01:43 PM
you can get the basics thing from free tutorials on the net and start doing stuff be yourself.

iamhereintheworld
04-29-2013, 06:55 PM
....and the advanced?

pingking
04-29-2013, 08:14 PM
advanced stuff is hard do find for free (and paid) . you can get some tricks from the behind the scenes, making ofs or breakdowns, but then you have to try and figure it out by yourself.

even for me (now with 7 years in compositing) i learn most new tricks by working with other people and discussing problem during production.

all tutorials (free and paid) can bring you to a certain level, but nothing beats real world experience and feedback from coworkers, supervisors, clients

from the paid tutorials i saw so far the compositing classes from fxphd are the best and most advanced

iamhereintheworld
05-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Hey,
Sorry for the really late reply. I just wanted to tell you that what I want to do is to be the guy who comes up with the idea for the visuals for eg. a movie or music video, not necessarily the guy on the computer actually putting it together. In short, the director, like Michel Gondry (he's a MAJOR inspiration of mine! :) ). To do that, I obviously have to know how the software works, otherwise I won't be able to make the movie. So - how do I break into this side of things? I have no movie making experience till date, indeed, I don't even own a video camera (as I said above, I want to buy one). I am a computer graphics buff, so learning how to put it all together will be a very enjoyable experience, don't get me wrong, but, like I said, that's not what I want to do in life. Can you give me any pointers?

scrimski
05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
To do that, I obviously have to know how the software works, otherwise I won't be able to make the movie. No. You need/want to come up with ideas and communicate those. Learning the software won't hurt, but it's not necessary.

pingking
05-08-2013, 01:36 PM
okay, the second post made it more clear what you want. if you dont want to be the one who is creating the actual effects then you dont need to know the software. you need to communicate your ideas and direct people to bring your vision to life. maybe drawing will help. to make a quick sketch where the things are and how the should move.

Potzden
05-27-2013, 12:59 PM
You can learn basic stuff on free tutorials... some will be very amusing... but from what I've seen, nothing beats a friend/mentor that has experience in the industry.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2013, 12:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.