PDA

View Full Version : Demoreel: Andreas Bystrom

wurp
12-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi all :)

I just completed my demoreel

Im looking for work, please contact me if you are interested. Im located in Sweden but Im willing to relocate.

here is the link:

mirror kindly provided by Green:
http://student.sofe.nu/da02chgr/andreas_bystrom_demoreel_2003.avi

DivX 5.05 40 mb

here are some stills from the reel:

http://www.renderart.net/temp/reel_shots.jpg

Wiz
12-17-2003, 09:05 PM
and i thought they looked god as stills
now look at them now :)

Awesome, you can show up in monday.

SimonReeves
12-17-2003, 09:21 PM
nice job mate, havent seen the helicopter [erm chinook or however you spell it] before :)

seen the others before but they look great animated :)

urgaffel
12-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Bah your reel sucks ass and the music is both uncredited and bad!

J/k

It's looking quite nice indeed. Some of the camera pans/cuts just seem odd though...

Anyhow, this should get you a job ;)

And tell me what music it is! Sounds like Boards Of Canada or something similar.

*edit*

Chinook?

Gremlin
12-18-2003, 12:44 AM
helicopter was my personal favorite...

anywho, great job!
hope you get hired somewhere good!
Cheers,
:beer:

ceql
12-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Wow, alot of beautiful models and images in there, nice to have seen all ur famous pics in motion :)

Stimpy
12-18-2003, 09:27 AM
not much to say about your models i think we all agree that they are top notch. two things bothering me though about the reel:

camera movement - i think linear movements wouldve worked better, since there is no action happening that the camera might have to focus on. instead some details seem to get lost, like with the spinning wireframe oldtimer. it starts off very slow but then twirls around like crazy, giving the viewer not REALLY the chance to spot the details of your modeling.

action safe - remember that on a regular tv 10% of your image will never show up., and the next 10% might be slightly distorted. here you use the whole frame to position your models which is nice and fine for a computer monitor, but might end up looking a bit strange on a tv, when important details just get cut off at the top. check "field guide" in xsi camera viewport.

music is boards of canada - music is math from the geogaddi album.

urgaffel
12-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Thanks Stimpy. Good to see that my ears still work as they should :)

EdHarriss
12-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Excellent work wurp!
boards of canada, nice touch.
I like the first image. I think that the floor may be a little too shiny, almost like water, but it gives it that "varnished look" to the floor so I guess its ok. :)

I like the interesting camera work but agree with Stimpy, it doesn't show off your models very well.

Valkyrien
12-18-2003, 05:49 PM
you don't already have a job with these kinds of skills? wtf?:confused:

Taharez
12-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Well, as I've already said, really nice work :D You got on the frontpage too ! :thumbsup:

Error404
12-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Nice looking renders :-)

I think some of the camera moves (partcicularly on the vehicles and helicopter) seem to be quite repetitive.

Looks quite nice though :-)

cyberjunkie
12-18-2003, 05:57 PM
I heard someone mention it on #cgtalk so I decided to download it and its was amazing.. And here I was coming to post a reply and you're Frontpage.! Way to go! :thumbsup:

Levitateme
12-18-2003, 06:06 PM
wow, thats the best demo reel i have ever seen...amazing work. you did all the textures your self as well? for them reflections on your cars is that hdri? so many beautiful images, and i like your music a lot too. reminds me of radiohead kinda.

wurp
12-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Levitateme
wow, thats the best demo reel i have ever seen...amazing work. you did all the textures your self as well? for them reflections on your cars is that hdri?

yes, I made the textures myself, some was based on photos but in for example the helicopter shot all textures was painted by me.

As for the reflections, yes those are HDRI maps.

lapin
12-18-2003, 06:11 PM
Hi, nice job, but too much glow effect.

stakk4
12-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Excellent! Absolutely inspiring! And I agree that the music was excellent. :bowdown:

but.....um.....on the Mac laptop, was the stuff on the screen supposed to appear reversed?

wurp
12-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by stakk4
Excellent! Absolutely inspiring! And I agree that the music was excellent. :bowdown:

but.....um.....on the Mac laptop, was the stuff on the screen supposed to appear reversed?

No I made a misstake on the laptop, heh, its probably the result of working on the reel at 3 AM :)

darcru
12-18-2003, 07:31 PM
I think you've got nothing , but top notch pieces on this demo. My only suggestion would be to re-arrange a few things. I would put the Helicopter first and maybe the room next. I think the old car you had first was excellent, but it seemed a little drawn out and the chopper shows more of your textureing skills. The sax needs to be closer to the front as well, what a detailed modeling mess to tackle....inspiring stuff wurp !!

stakk4
12-18-2003, 07:44 PM
imo, once the screen on the laptop is fixed, you're cookin!
good luck in searching. I'd hire ya in a heartbeat!

Dan Wade
12-18-2003, 08:15 PM
good work there fella! Glad to these this stuff animated at last.

Dan.

dutch
12-18-2003, 08:16 PM
you should probably at least credit boards of canada for the music.

Strang
12-18-2003, 08:20 PM
great reel, i didn't mind the camera moves. except when it jumped cut a few too many times. wish it would have kept going. good modeling, texturing, even though lighting may seem over exposed or overdone, it was cool to get blinded by the clearcoat on the vehicles :cool:

personally that music annoyed me for one reason and one reason only...they kept holding that note in the background and only stopped for a second every now and then. from what i know about music kinda sounds like a flute. but that same note steadily just started to piss me off. kinda like too much of one color will make people think a certain way or change their mood. well i did listen to it all the way through the first time, but the next few times it was muted.

good luck finding a job...

-Strang

softdistortion
12-18-2003, 08:23 PM
I really like the wear you put into your chopper texturing. Wish we had you texturing our project models!:drool:
Grabbed the PS dirt brushes you had up...NICE!! Thanks!!...maybe that will help us out a bit too!

Ac0rN
12-18-2003, 09:00 PM
I wonder how loang it took you render that .. hehe ... probably a year or something, Very nice work anyway :thumbsup:

stakk4
12-18-2003, 09:15 PM
oh, and if it was boards of canada that did the music, can you tell me the name of the song please?

wurp
12-18-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by stakk4
oh, and if it was boards of canada that did the music, can you tell me the name of the song please?

boards of canada - music is math

Since I didnt credit them in the reel Im doing it now, thanks a lot for making great music! xD

stakk4
12-18-2003, 09:18 PM
(removes head from arse and rereads stimpy's post):lightbulb

OH! Alrighty then!

erikals
12-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Beautiful work.

One thing I wonder though, wasn't it hard to model the Mac laptop using SubDiv surfaces?

Great stuff, hope to see more in the future :)

Neil
12-18-2003, 11:04 PM
I'm not trying to hire you, but if anyone was, don't you think they want to know where you live?

*hint hint: fill out profile

LeroyBrown
12-18-2003, 11:05 PM
The models look great. The lighting looks fantastic. I only have to say that the camera animations could have been soooo much better. Too much slow down and speeding up. And not enough intresting angles...they all sem kinda plain. But thats not what really sells, your work speeks for itself. Nice job there!

stykkz
12-18-2003, 11:12 PM
The images look amazing!
Prehaps a fellow swede could answer the question why the hell the videos that i download from the internet always freezez the pictures thirty seconds into the film....

FUG1T1VE
12-18-2003, 11:18 PM
wow. Great reel, I feel that you could have animatied the objects themselves. Like the heli, and add motion blur to the blades but, none the less the flythroughs are also great :thumbsup:

wurp
12-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Neil
I'm not trying to hire you, but if anyone was, don't you think they want to know where you live?

*hint hint: fill out profile

I updated the first post with that info

if anyone missed it im from Sweden, but Im willing to relocate almost anywhere.

wurp
12-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by stykkz
The images look amazing!
Prehaps a fellow swede could answer the question why the hell the videos that i download from the internet always freezez the pictures thirty seconds into the film....

No idea sorry, perhaps your CPU is too slow? Also try different players/codecs.

danbucknam
12-18-2003, 11:40 PM
how do you get the glow effect on your reflections? is that something you do in post or in 3d?:surprised

Punkpotato
12-18-2003, 11:51 PM
Nice modelling. Good luck getting work.

Punk...

wurp
12-18-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by danbucknam
how do you get the glow effect on your reflections? is that something you do in post or in 3d?:surprised

Its done in post, I did a lot of compositing in this reel, almost all scenes had 3 or more passes.

BgDM
12-18-2003, 11:59 PM
Great reel wurp. Glad to see your still around too.

You should drop by the old Blender guys again and see what's going on. You would be surprised and impressed with the development lately.

BgDM

Digital Nomad
12-19-2003, 12:24 AM
I have a few crits to give. Your texturing and lighting kills are great I can't see any obvious faults. Everything looks awesome. One thing is that your camera work is weak. It doesn't do your work any justice. Use more creative camera angles and try not to have your cameras go in the same direction. Some of your cameras also stop at the end. Try to have your cameras continuously flow. Also, loose the white flashes inbetween each shot and have cross-fades. Or fade one into another. Use your shots wisley. Have close ups on the really detailed stuff in the textured mode and wire-frame. Oh yeah, one more thing your cameras should not speed up or slow down either. Go into your function curves on your camera animation and make them linear. Anyway, I think I have said enough. Your stuff is great. I just think it could be incredible with great cinematography.

brianemsu2
12-19-2003, 12:46 AM
wurp,
I'd like to know what your favorite modeling methods are. I'm not familiar with Softimage but I'm assuming it has NURBS, polygons and SubDiv's. Do you have a specific route that you take while modeling, such as start with NURBS and convert to polygons?

arvid
12-19-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by wurp
xD With the risk of sounding like a broken record, it turned out great wurpster! :beer: xD
I'm sure you'll get some calls :cool:

Garma
12-19-2003, 12:59 AM
top notch. Amazing mood. Keep rocking!

:applause:

Auger
12-19-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by stykkz
The images look amazing!

I'm not a Swede, just an American of Scandinavian descent, but you need to get the latest DivX codec. Same thing was happening to me until I got it.

Auger
12-19-2003, 04:14 AM
Awesome work. :beer: I agree with others about the camera work. One thing you should do for the heli scene is to put the camera down low (maybe 2 meters or so) and pan up at the heli. It will give it a better sense of scale-ie make it look larger. It looks more like a toy the way it is shot now.

I don't think the camera work would cost you a job, if you are primarily a modeler/texturer. I wouldn't sweat it.

Great stuff.

Jon

oxyg3n
12-19-2003, 04:50 AM
Nice demo reel. I really enjoyed the large empty room with all the windows.

Arimus
12-19-2003, 07:56 AM
Hi there. I was very impressed with this demo reel....well done! I love all the models. Lighting is terrific.....especially on the large room at the end.

Good luck finding work but with talent like that I don't think you will have any problems! :):buttrock: :bowdown:

mickatt
12-19-2003, 08:47 AM
I just finished to see your demo reel and I am very impressed by your work

I have just a remark to make concerning the assembly of your film It misses a little rate/rhythm you could have added some large plans between the sequences for better to see the details of your modelisations which very are successful.

Besides that I find the rendering very been successful with the post process effect of glow over.

congrats

JBoskma
12-19-2003, 09:06 AM
You sir, are the lighting god. Jezus great stuff!

sarahVc
12-19-2003, 09:34 AM
keep up the gr8 work mr.
if i had a company
u wld have been my art director:P

Libor
12-19-2003, 09:36 AM
Nice stuff there, pal!;)

But the presentation isnīt satisfying:shrug:

The problem is in camera movement. I think the you have bad interpolation between keys because its obvious your camera in each shot accelerate and at the end of an shot deccelerate. I would go for linear interpolation and make shots longer and then lay each over another and mix them so camera is not stopping. (sorry for a bit sucking explanation due to my english:surprised )

Just my 2 cents...

Anyway cool modeling/rendeering stuff!:beer:

Baldasseroni
12-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Nice reel my friend, quite neat stuff you`ve got there ! :beer:

I`m sure you won`t have any problem to have the job you like :thumbsup:

Ale

mikepolizos
12-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Great work man!

I agree with Eklettica about finding a job (if you haven't find one already)!

Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup:

phoenix
12-19-2003, 12:05 PM
wonderfull work as always

wurp
12-19-2003, 12:30 PM
It seems most people agree that having spline fcurves for the camera animation isnt a good idea, I agree that linear would have been better. I've never done any camera work before, so maybe I was a bit quick with the rendering button :)

Anyway, the reel is geared towards modeling/texturing/lighting and rendering so I dont think the camerawork is too much of a problem, however I'll keep in mind what everyone said for the next reel :)

nattnewman
12-19-2003, 04:23 PM
wowser,

eye poppingly good stills, that are very warmly lit. a very personal feel to each piece you have on display.

wish you all the best in getting work with this! really is nice.

Cheers,

Nathan.

nattnewman
12-19-2003, 04:38 PM
Now I've watched it...I like it even more - some nice work there.

As much as i liked it i spotted a goof! Not that it really matters....but on the laptop...i think youve gotten the UVs on the screen texture flipped.

Lets hope you arent a perfectionist and want to change it all now! lol

Cheers,

Nathan.

PhillipCrond
12-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Of course, the work is excellent, but I agree with some of the comments made about the pace and rhythm of the reel...

You're spending waaay too much time on each piece, and I think a lot of reel reviewers would get bored during the first model. Camera movement around the object is fine (as opposed to a turntable) but as the camera gets half way around the object, fade in the wireframe for a few seconds and move on.

It's beautiful work, and I appreciate being able to study it here at home, but I think that a reviewer is less interested in studying, and more interested in getting the gist in hurry.

Kudos!
Brent

Strang
12-19-2003, 08:45 PM
i picked up Highend magazine today...

i must say "BRAVO!" with that tutorial Andreas.

-Strang

danbucknam
12-19-2003, 09:00 PM
wurp, you said you did alot of compositing in this reel and you said you used hdri lighting. what was each render pass and how long did each render pass take? I guess I just want a bit more details about your process because your reel is inspirational. I use Max and Brazil.

Pete Latrofa
12-19-2003, 10:46 PM
great work. i like the style and cleanliness of your models.

Bluplet
12-20-2003, 01:03 AM
That's looking pretty nifty, however, I think the specular bloom is a bit overdone throughout. Might help to choke its range a bit more.

Pete Latrofa
12-20-2003, 03:24 AM
who is that song by in your demo reel? is that Autechre?

Oktavian
12-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Great renderings, I always liked your work.
But IMHO the music doesn't fit well to the camera moves and rotations. Either the music is too slow or the movements are too fast.

Stimpy
12-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Pete Latrofa
who is that song by in your demo reel? is that Autechre?

check first page. boards of canada.

avalon
12-20-2003, 03:41 PM
:beer:
real good

ThirdEye
12-20-2003, 08:41 PM
It turned out really well, i like it a lot! I'm glad you finally chose Music Is Math! 5 stars from me :)

:thumbsup:

skyeywei
12-21-2003, 12:35 PM
good job ! :thumbsup:

JDMedia
12-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I like your demo reel, there's one thing I really would like to know, how do you make the shiny lights like the ones on the cars or like those behind the windows of that hall... they look very bright, I like that style, how do you do it?

Thanks a lot!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.