PDA

View Full Version : Support HDRI in Photoshop?

DragonAngel
12-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Does any body know if photoshop CS supports HDRI? Does the 16 bit image support mean that we can adjust the exposure from HDRI images?

Thank you for any information.

chach
12-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Apples and Oranges, I believe.
sorry.

uncon
12-18-2003, 10:21 PM
no, I don't think so. HDRI can be as much as 128-bit floating point images.

jbw
12-19-2003, 12:20 AM
Hey DragonAngel,
I'd have thought we'd have heard about it by now if it was, Adobe would have pushed it in advertising surely? There are HDRI packages out there... just not Photoshop I'm afraid. :shrug:

ta,
jbw

halo
12-19-2003, 01:37 PM
no, it doesnt support HDRI. Adobe are waiting for the formats to settle before finding one to work with. (as stated on their forums)

DragonAngel
12-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys...

Do you guys know any cheap programs that can make panoramas in HDRI format or should I make panoramas separately and then load them up in HDRIShop?

Why 16bit pictures then? Is it at least a couple of Exposure information retained so I can play with the exposure without loosing the black and white point and not playing with contrast?

Thanks again for any comments.

halo
12-20-2003, 02:13 AM
all 16 bit does is widen the amount of colours available in a channel and therefore your image. 8 bit gives you 255 shades per channel and therefore rgb gives you 255x255x255=16 million colours....16bit gives you 16000 per channel....multiplieds to billions of colours in RGB. All this means that while the white is still the same white and the black is still black, there is less stepping inbetween, so banding in rgb (which can be visible espcially on telly) is lessened. What Hdri does is say there is a brighter white beyond white and a darker dark beyond black. Photoshop cant cope with this....yet.

PS CS has a RAW import now which will allow you to control digital exposure on digital RAW files levels whilst not harming the final imported image, so this may give you more "rope" from diigtally captured images, but alas, you will still need an app like Hdrshop to pull them back into an HDRI format.

As ever, if you want something in PS, please, please lobby adobe on their user forums at

http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html

they have been known to listen to well constructed arguements for new features.

Cgmystic
11-06-2005, 04:37 AM
HDRI is now supported in Photoshop CS2
32-bit High Dynamic Range (HDR) support

Create and edit 32-bit images, and combine multiple exposures into a single, 32-bit image with expanded range from the deepest shadows to the brightest highlights.

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/images/HDR_imaging.jpg

read more here at this url
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/newfeatures.html#nf8

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2005, 04:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.