PDA

View Full Version : "rugby League" Videogame Sets Global Preorder Record

SuperMax
12-17-2003, 03:00 PM
"RUGBY LEAGUE" VIDEOGAME SETS GLOBAL PREORDER RECORD

Wellington, NZ - December 9, 2003 - Anticipation for the soon to be released videogame "Rugby League" from Sidhe Interactive and Tru Blu Games has reached new heights with the announcement of record breaking preorder levels for the title.

EB Games Eastgarden's store in Sydney, Australia, have broken the worldwide single store preorder record for that international retail chain with over 1,060 units of the Rugby League game being preordered at that location alone. The record was formerly held by a US based EB store for preorders of "GTA3: Vice City".

With several days before the release of Rugby League remaining, the Sydney store is expected to set a formidable record for future games to topple.

"We are very excited about the response we have had from consumers and the high presales reported by retailers", said Mario Wynands, Managing Director of Sidhe Interactive. "Combined with the positive reviews the game has received, we are looking forward to a great launch for the title".

Rugby League (known as "Stacey Jones Rugby League" in NZ and "SuperLeague Rugby League" in Europe) will be available from December 12 2003 for the Sony PlayStationTM 2, Microsoft XboxTM and PC platforms.

###

Sidhe Interactive develops games for the PC, Sony PlayStationTM, Sony PlayStationTM 2, and Microsoft XboxTM. You can find out more about Sidhe Interactive online at http://www.sidheinteractive.com

http://www.xbox.net/articles.php?article_id=124

Woohoooooo!!! go the doggies!:buttrock:

Jhonus
12-17-2003, 08:31 PM
w00t, I worked on this. Funny to see the press release pop up on cgtalk.

Cod
12-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Now, is this game being made available to people within the United States? I wanted to see some pictures, videos, or something of the game. I tried a search at EBWorld.com and it only turned up EA's Rugby 2004 title.

Jhonus
12-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Cod
Now, is this game being made available to people within the United States? I wanted to see some pictures, videos, or something of the game. I tried a search at EBWorld.com and it only turned up EA's Rugby 2004 title.

Its being distributed in UK, NZ and AUS.

Check out http://www.trubluentertainment.com for reviews and screenshots etc.

If your going to order your best to do it from a NZ or Aus online store.

Giles3
12-18-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Krugar
w00t, I worked on this. Funny to see the press release pop up on cgtalk.

Cool!, was it made in NZ?. What did you do on it?

Jhonus
12-18-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Giles3
Cool!, was it made in NZ?. What did you do on it?

Yup, made in NZ, funded via Australia. I was working on stadiums.

SuperMax
12-18-2003, 02:55 AM
Software?

Myce
12-18-2003, 04:17 AM
kewl, its good to see kiwi made games hitting the records.

I wonder if there is even a market in usa, do they even play league over there? If they do there prolly wouldnt be that big fan base over there.

Jhonus
12-18-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Myce
kewl, its good to see kiwi made games hitting the records.

I wonder if there is even a market in usa, do they even play league over there? If they do there prolly wouldnt be that big fan base over there.

Apparently there is a US league... grass roots stuff. But dont know much about it.

Supermax - we use maya

Andrew W
12-18-2003, 07:56 AM
Could you do us a good rugby union game next please. Ooh, and when you've done that, a good cricket game. No pressure :beer:

And if you could rush 'em out for, say, Christmas, that'd be great. Aww c'mon guys, there's almost a week left till yule. You can do it.

Congrats on getting a "minority" (in American eyes anyway) game out there.

A

playmesumch00ns
12-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Yeah there needs to be a good cricket game. Brian Lara's Cricket was great fun when you were batting, but bowlign and fielding was like watching paint dry (much like the real game!)

Andrew W
12-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by playmesumch00ns
like watching paint dry (much like the real game!)

Heretic! :p

NUKE-CG
12-18-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by playmesumch00ns
Brian Lara's Cricket was great fun when you were batting, but bowling and fielding was like watching paint dry (much like the real game!)

Ggggrrrr the game is fine, thank you :buttrock: :)

-NUKE-CG (ex-Fast Bowler and Gully fieldsman) :thumbsup:

Andrew W
12-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by NUKE-CG
Ggggrrrr the game is fine, thank you :buttrock: :)

-NUKE-CG (ex-Fast Bowler and Gully fieldsman) :thumbsup:

I agree, there's nothing wrong with it.

A (purveyor of gentle off-breaks and medium pace in-swingers to the batting community)

P_T
12-18-2003, 12:13 PM
for the Americans... Rugby is similar to American Football but without the armor :p

jason-slab
12-18-2003, 01:59 PM
**arrrrgg rugby talk on cgtalk!!

hiya fro0gy!!
:wavey:

|j

SuperMax
12-18-2003, 02:59 PM
ummm its rugby LEAGUE ;)

dont worry about the other rugby.:wise:

bentllama
12-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Sorry, but any contact sport where you do not have to wear pads and protection...well, you just aren't hitting hard enough.

Best wishes to the game succeeding.

Sincerely,
Not A Fan Of Rugby

playmesumch00ns
12-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
Sorry, but any contact sport where you do not have to wear pads and protection...well, you just aren't hitting hard enough.

Sincerely,
Not A Fan Of Rugby

Anyone who feels they have to wear body armour to play a contact sport: you're not hard enough.

A (purveyor of scything off-drives and impassable forward defense, but really not a bowler...)

Jhonus
12-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by stal3fish
**arrrrgg rugby talk on cgtalk!!

hiya fro0gy!!
:wavey:

|j

But its rugby league... oh so much cooler.

foosh... I thought you would be more disturbed about the cricket sub conversation.

pseudoE
12-18-2003, 10:30 PM

Sincerely,
Not A Fan Of Rugby

obviously looking for an argument...

The first time I played I new 3 rules, and I've never had as much fun in my life! or worked as hard. I truly believe this game is for the athlete, not the spectator, and the only way to apreciate it is to get out and do it. My guess is you wouln't last a minute. Speaking of which, if you do get hurt, good luck getting anyone to give you one...

e.

bentllama
12-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by pseudoE
My guess is you wouln't last a minute.

how little you know me...

I have 280 lbs of solid anger that says I would.

NUKE-CG
12-19-2003, 12:31 AM

O.T
Well.. when it comes to Rugby, hitting someone hard is not as useful as tackling them with a firm grip and forcing them onto the ground where you roll them to face your team-mates to form a scrum/maul, where you can ruck the ball for your possession, not a wham bamm american football like crap. :applause:

bentllama
12-19-2003, 03:48 AM
O.T
Well.. when it comes to Rugby, hitting someone hard is not as useful as tackling them with a firm grip and forcing them onto the ground where you roll them to face your team-mates to form a scrum/maul, where you can ruck the ball for your possession, not a wham bamm american football like crap. :applause:

this Canadian wasn't leaning towards football... :twisted:

edit: and for the record...even though I do not admire rugby, I do hope the game does well...I always respect hard work...

Rellum
12-19-2003, 04:03 AM
This is a game about Rugby League not Rugby, two totally different sports. The game itself is fun, even if it is a very arcade version of the sport.

For all those Americans out there who think it is tougher to wear pads than not to wear them:rolleyes: , ignorance is bliss.

Here is a link to a streaming video of this years Australian NRL Grand Final for all those in the dark about the sport.

http://www2.nrl.com.au/fanzone/video.cfm

Billy Talent
12-19-2003, 04:15 AM
I have 280 lbs of solid anger that says I would.

I don't know if I'd say 'solid'. OMFG LOL. ;)

projectcoil
12-19-2003, 05:21 AM
this Canadian wasn't leaning towards football... :twisted:

edit: and for the record...even though I do not admire rugby, I do hope the game does well...I always respect hard work...

They let you skate? I thought you would crack the ice under all that weight. :wavey:

jason-slab
12-19-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Krugar
foosh... I thought you would be more disturbed about the cricket sub conversation.

yeah yeah cricket, rugby, footballl bla bla bla, YAWN, i can just feel the exitement!!! :p

and yeah, i hope it does well for u guys!!!!

have fun

|jason

bentllama
12-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by projectcoil
They let you skate? I thought you would crack the ice under all that weight. :wavey:

crack the ice? naw, just helmets, ribs and glass in the corners... :p

pseudoE
12-19-2003, 04:54 PM
crack the ice? naw, just helmets, ribs and glass in the corners... :p

Hockey's for sissies! If you want to really put you life on the line try this :buttrock:

http://www.whirlyball.com/lombard/lombard.htm

Vushvush
12-19-2003, 05:02 PM
Nuke - CG basically described the whole difference in his post, but ironically described why Football IS tougher and requires pads. In rugby, you need to slow the opponent, bring him down, and then the pile ensues. In Football, if you bring him down, that's great, but he probably already achieved his goal and you simply prevented him from scoring. You will also most likely have a hard time bringing down a 240 lbs man running at FULL Speed since he can't "pass the ball" and if you try to "full grip" him your arm will pop out in the best of situations. You need to lower your shoulder and ram your 240 lbs body right into his!

I sometimes see those things happen in rugby... I then see both players leave the game and get all upset cause they lost another 2 teach each :(

NUKE-CG
12-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Rugby League video games are pretty cool, I use to play ARL '98 I think it was called, hmmm, was very fun.. they are much easier to play than rugby games, because of the sets of plays after each tackle.

Vush:
You must be watching 10 year olds playing rugby. International-level rugby is just as tough, but retains a huge amount of skill and tactics which are on-going, not a phase of one throw, one catch, one tackle kind of deal. Each to their own.. but if I wanted to see guys throw their bodies at eachother.. I'll watch Jackass. :wip:

Giles3
12-20-2003, 02:19 AM
but if I wanted to see guys throw their bodies at eachother.. I'll watch Jackass. :wip:

One stunt on Jackass was participating in a Rugby teams practice, Season 2 Eposide 5 :surprised

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.