PDA

View Full Version : Which Software for organic modeling

DeadlyAppearanc
12-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Hi.

I use 3D Studio Max. If i want to model a head or something like this i use the thechnic which you can see here (http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/head1.asp).
Now i have see i video tutorial for Lighwave. Take a look at this (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/head/index.html).
I like this modeling style. I find it much easyer to understand how i model a right head. I think this is the better way.
I recall tha i have seen something like that for maya, too.

So my question. Can i do somethink like on the video in 3D Max, too? Or is that only a feature in Lighwave.
Is that right, that i can model in maya so, too?
Which software is the best for organic modeling? And the easyest.

azazel
12-17-2003, 02:01 PM
this lw video shows so called box-modelling (start with a cube and add detail). it's doable in max, lw, maya, cinema - tho, you may want some scripts/plugins to make the workflow faster. but the one of the best apps for box-modelling is wings3d IMO :) (unless maybe you are a happy mirai owner)

DeadlyAppearanc
12-17-2003, 02:14 PM
hmm...
If i want to do box modeling in 3D Max i create a box. After i convert it into editable polygone. Now, if i have select edges i can cut the polygones. But this is much slower as what i see on this video. So how i create so fast new polygones in Max like at the video.

azazel
12-18-2003, 09:05 AM
You can smooth the cube once at the very beginning. As for speed: it's also the question of properly setting up keyboard shortcuts, menus, toolbars, to have everything you need at hand.

actarusprocyon
12-18-2003, 12:09 PM
Haven't looked but I'm pretty sure you're talking about User Delta's Spinshift video.

He almost exclusively uses SmoothShift(or something) to extrude shapes and Spin-Quads to rotate polygons...

Note that Spinquad can be replaced with either Dissovling or Flipping Edges.

As far as organic modeling is concerned my choices are Wings3D and Mirai or Nendo..

jmcalpin
12-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Wings 3d is great.

www.wings3d.com - corrected, thanks paul

Now you can get alot of it's tool functions using meshtools which are now part of max 4+ I think... or download for an eariler version. This gives you alot fo the tools you need to whip thtough a model.

Smooth-shift is a bevel or extrude like function. bevel in Lightwave raises only single polys so this raises them all as a single unit. extrude leaves an internal poly so this is useless for this kind of modeling in LW. you should be able to figure out what tool gives you the same capabilities.

jay

puzzledpaul
12-18-2003, 08:45 PM
deleted, post superflous

DeadlyAppearanc
12-18-2003, 11:10 PM
this looks nice, but i haven`t hear that before.
On the weekend i look, how i model with the same style in max.

jmcalpin
12-19-2003, 02:37 PM
The modeling Paradigms of Max and Wings are completely different. I don't think there is a way to model as fast but all of wings3d's tools are in max in the form of Meshtools. In the right click menus I think. Again it depends on which version you are using.

You may just want to model your basic shapes in wings then save out a obj to import into max (you'll need the obj plugin)

Wings is designed to make modeling as simple to do as possible with the minimum number of tools. It does this very well. Max coming from a CAD background is designed to be percise and measured. So it's flow is more mechanical and not as free flowing as Wings/Mirai/Nendo or even Lightwave. Lightwave is more freeflowing than max but Wings and Co I consider to be part of the latest generation of modelers which are freer in their modeling style. Lightwave is somewhere in the middle and Max is an ancient program that has layers of newer tools on an old core.

Modo is part of the next generation of modelers coming out. same guys who did lightwave but added alot of the tools feel of Wings and company to it. So this will be even better when it eventually comes out. Mirai 2 should be a lightyear ahead of everyone else if it ever comes out.

The best modeler out... WIngs3d. It's free!

Jay

mastermesh
12-19-2003, 03:42 PM
truespace is probably the program you are after...

jmcalpin
12-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Mastermesh... Which version? the last version I have was 4 I think. I'll look at it as I began on this software long ago.

Hmm... looking at the demo and brochure. Very impressed with their new poly tools. Definitely better than what I expected. I would say this is also very doable as a organic modeler. Again Wings is free so that is my only consideration as to it being my top pick. That said this is up there in power so i would put it in league with wings, lightwave and maya.

Oh the version I tested was 6.6

The site is http://www.caligari.com

Jay

flingster
12-21-2003, 10:24 PM
surely something like zbrush would be top of the tree for organic modelling?
:shrug:

opus13
12-22-2003, 11:14 PM
although a very slick program, i think that zbrush is more of an accompaniement to a 'standard app', as vertex and edge tools arent quite there.. but then again, i guess we wll have to wait to version 2 to see if that remains unchanged.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.