PDA

View Full Version : Best compression method???

Levitateme
12-17-2003, 12:49 PM
I occasionally make time laps modeling videos. and im using Camtasia. and if i have like a 10 minute video its about 80-90mb. i was using VirtualDub to compress my video. and using the divx 5 compression. but it looks terrible and the mb size has gone down only to around 60. can anyone out there explain some settings that they think is great for compression? i would like to have a bunch of these files really small but look good still. and if anyone knows of a great compression program. that would help out a lot.

Thanks

stephen2002
12-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Try using Camtasia's WMV exporter. It usually makes things pretty small; about 1MB/min depending on the frame rate.

Levitateme
12-17-2003, 05:12 PM
thanks stephen, my file went from 89 mb to 6 i didnt belive it at first...jesus...thanks again!

Novakog
12-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Does anyone know whether MS will ever make their HDDVD compression publicly available? That would be awesome. They got T2 in 1080i down to 3 Gb. Or is that just regular WMV compression (it's 1 min/25 Mb about, at 1080 i... hmmm, actually sounds like a bit worse than WMV)?

stephen2002
12-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Their compression is just the standard WMV9 codec; nothing special. Take a look here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=227837&highlight=WMV) for how to encode OTA HDTV into WM9.

Levitateme
12-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Hey stephen, do you know a good compression method for divx? i like WMV but it seems to be dropping a ton of my frames. and im using camtasia producer to produce the compression. is there soemthign i can use that wont drop near as many frames.

Novakog
12-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by stephen2002
Their compression is just the standard WMV9 codec; nothing special. Take a look here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=227837&highlight=WMV) for how to encode OTA HDTV into WM9.

Oh, alright then.

stephen2002
12-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Levitateme
Hey stephen, do you know a good compression method for divx? i like WMV but it seems to be dropping a ton of my frames. and im using camtasia producer to produce the compression. is there soemthign i can use that wont drop near as many frames.

The reason the WMV export is dropping frames is that it is using the "WMV for screen capture" codec. This codec maintains the detail of each frame so you don't loose things like text in the compression. If the specifed bit rate is exceeded it drops frames instead of compromising the quality of an individual frame.

You can customise the WMV export within Camtasia. Since you want more of the frames you need to increase the frame rate as well as the bit rate. Or just increse the bit rate if the frame rate is already set at what you want. You are going to end up with a larger file but with smoother motion.

If you want you could always run the original AVI files through VirtualDub to encode to DivX. The problem with that is the way MPEG4 based codecs handle motion you usually end up with smearing artifacts with sharp lines and low bitrates. You might also loose text and other details

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.