PDA

View Full Version : teach maya user xsi

jadamburke
12-17-2003, 10:06 AM
All those maya to xsi tutorials seem to be dead links now. Anyone know of any verified locations of rosetta stone tutorials for a hardened maya user?

vmpre
12-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Does this help?

http://www.xsibase.com/users/rick_walia/maya2xsi_quickstart.php

Vmpre

Signal2Noise
12-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Also...

Highend 3D (http://www.highend3d.com)

You're welcome!;)

ggg
12-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Ricks page is good but you're right its down :( http://www.rickw3d.com/
And in irony we haven't seen Rick around XSI for a while.
mirrored here:
http://www.xsibase.com/users/rick_walia/maya2xsi_quickstart.php

EDIT: oops sorry vmpre already posted it.

deadend 3d? xsi forum there is a tad slow.
but the highend mag will help. good clear tuts, just a little pricey still.

jadamburke
12-17-2003, 07:15 PM
thank you very much guys

Im saving that page locally before it disapears too.

sumpm1
01-08-2004, 04:40 PM
I don't think you need a specific tutorial for this. The XSI manual is very complete, much like the Maya manual. Do a full read, or complete the included tutorials on the cd, which are also very complete. 3dbuzz has video training for XSI if you register. His videos are excellent. http://www.3dbuzz.com/

chris.scherer
01-08-2004, 09:50 PM
@supm1: "Do a full read" - :eek: - Donīt you ask a bit much ? If yourīre already a hardened user of one app, that would probably taste like reading the manual to a high-end car: Too many custom nominations of comparable features, the structure is different and thus a moralebreaker if you want to get somewhere quickly...

No offense, but I found a comparative and workflow oriented feature-tour more helpful. Plus, the students donīt bail out that quickly ;-)

Just hightlight the important differences like raycast-selection, samples, the subdiv-style, the "2 rows down" for the keyboard layout, the different way of doing IKs and weightpainting-workflow.

If youīre honest and also point out the disadvantages (new subdivs donīt inherit UVs, no PaintFX or other "out of the box" effects, no IPR...just offer solutions.

(I only had to do a conversion-primer once, but found it quite effective rather than starting out from scratch again)

ggg
01-08-2004, 10:29 PM
I agree, I'm the first to say rtfm but for a user transitioning from one app to another just to get started and find the other apps hotkeys and buttons etc its not really helpful to recommend a full manual read or the basic tutorials on the CD, especaily for a poster that says they are a "hardened maya user" not a newbie. Then the docs are there to fill the gaps and differences.
Eg Although the last poster was obviously advanced in CG, I suggested doing search for "samples" once, because it clarifys some of the XSI syntax when scripting.

That's why Alias offered a Softimage2Maya CD which I used as going thru the docs to get started would have been excrutiating.

Softimage should offer the same, I think it would really help them.

3dtutorial
01-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Softimage should offer the same, I think it would really help them

3dtutorial.com has one in production at the moment -- it's coming.

Cheers,

Joe Saltzman

SheepFactory
01-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Joe any info on upcoming titles?

I am looking forward to a rigging one.

Atyss
01-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Sheep Factory

Check out the forum on 3dtutorial.com
These things are being discussed a lot at the moment, you'll learn a lot about what is coming :-)

Cheers
Bernard

ThE_JacO
01-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by chris.scherer

If youīre honest and also point out the disadvantages (new subdivs donīt inherit UVs, no PaintFX or other "out of the box" effects, no IPR...just offer solutions.

no IPR ? check out render region, the Q key, it's much better and reliable then IPR ( no flames please, we are talking facts)

no PaintFX or fluids out of the box I'm sorry.

new subdivs don't inherit UVs ??
they do, and do so quite well, actually without a hint of distortion.
what issue did you have with it exactly ? and what do you mean with "new subDs" ?

EdHarriss
01-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by chris.scherer
[B(new subdivs donīt inherit UVs...[/B]

Try using the + and - keys to do your subdivs. Instead of the duplication method. They will then keep the old UV info.

ThE_JacO
01-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by EdHarriss
Try using the + and - keys to do your subdivs. Instead of the duplication method. They will then keep the old UV info.

duplicate using geometry approximation (with catmull clark) or local subdivision refinment both keep the coordinates intact and actually stream them, in a distortion free manner, on a hard subdivided mesh.

as far as texturing and subDs XSI has always been bleeding edge since v2, when it was the only thing around not distorting textures :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.