PDA

View Full Version : Creating a caustics effect..

euxneks
12-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Has anyone had a relatively successful endeavor for fudging some caustics effects in photoshop? I want to make a nice underwater scene but I need some help creating the caustics. The idea is that I am looking, while in water, to the bottom of the lake/pool/whatever and there are light "strands", or patterns, (caustics) on the bottom.. I can't seem to find any pictures online.. I wouldn't mind some help from those who are more advanced at this than I am.. =) Thanks a lot!

Leovenous
12-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Well, my initial suggestion would be that you run difference clouds a bunch of times. That may not quite make the desired result, so you may want to first render a b/w cloud, then smudge it up a bit, then run difference. See what that does.

If you come up with something you like, you need to have an idea how you are going to apply it. I am kind of a control freak in PS so I make many layers of the same thing, each with a different adjustment layer so I can "paint" in and out adjustments at will. :cool:

You could make a copy of your main layer (or group of layers by using Ctrl+Shift+e) and then overbrighten it with a linear light filter (or brightness adjustment). Then use the caustic layer as a clipping path to mask the brighter spots in.

I may give this a try myself. :shrug:

Hope that helps, and be not afraid to ask questions. ;)

EricChadwick
12-18-2003, 12:31 AM
In case Difference Clouds doesn't work, here's a cool little freebie app that generates caustic textures and animations.
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~kand/caustics/

halo
12-18-2003, 10:24 AM
nice link ! :D

EricChadwick
12-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Yes sir!
Found it here on CGTalk.

euxneks
12-19-2003, 01:21 AM
Fantastic!! Thank you so much for the link! This is exactly what I was looking for!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.