PDA

View Full Version : "World of Tommorow" Trailer and Website!

RobertoOrtiz
12-17-2003, 06:23 AM
http://www.skycaptain.com/
and
>>Trailer<< (http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2004/STUVWXYZ/Sky-Captain-and-The-World-of-Tomorrrow/trailer-page.html)

-R

xzevlin
12-17-2003, 11:22 AM
It looks interesting, but hard to tell from such a short clip and all. If the full trailer is really playing in front of paycheck, I may just have to go see that :surprised

Here's a great article about the movie.
http://sky.prohosting.com/hotsnick/shootfirst.html

It does seem a little odd that it would cost over 50 million if all the CG stuff is already done, unless the stars are taking a big cut of that.

talos72
12-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Wow, some of the scenes are straight frame by frame taken from Fleischer's Superman episodes!

Fasty
12-17-2003, 11:18 PM
This looks brilliant! From outta nowhere too!

Cinematography
12-18-2003, 12:52 AM
I heard from an entertainment news program that this film was shot entirely on a bluescreen set. I will definitely be checking this one out when it comes to theaters. It looks different.

StevenR
12-19-2003, 08:12 PM
I saw the trailer in front of ROTK yesterday...quite possibly one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. The style, the idea, everything.

I'm not sure if it looks good or not. The title is certainly pretty cheesy ;)

NanoGator
12-19-2003, 09:38 PM
The concept is kinda neat. And it was nice of them to label all of the bad guys via eye patches.

RobertoOrtiz
12-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Poster!:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16690

-R

Tychoides
12-19-2003, 10:48 PM
quicktime trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/skycaptainandtheworldoftomorrow/skycaptain_large.html

vfx fan
12-19-2003, 11:41 PM
I saw the trailer when I saw "The Return of the King" the other day. I dunno, it kinda made me dizzy just looking at it. It seemed a few shots were strictly in black and white while others were more like the sepia shown in old silent films.

By the way, who's doing the fx for the film?

BNicolucci
12-20-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by NanoGator
The concept is kinda neat. And it was nice of them to label all of the bad guys via eye patches.

Somebody needs to pay a little more attention to the trailer again if they think all the bad guys wear eye patches :p

Man, this looks like a live action Fleischer cartoon. I can not wait. Hopefully it does well, then maybe we'll get a Hoverboy film! :thumbsup:

Tychoides
12-20-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by BNicolucci
[B]Somebody needs to pay a little more attention to the trailer again if they think all the bad guys wear eye patches :p

yeah, or maybe that was a very rude spoiler :)

KolbyJukes
12-20-2003, 01:45 AM
i don't know what to think of this film....

Lucas taught us the dangers of shooting nearly exclusively on bluescreen...
Are they saying one guy ... did all the effects for this film...if so, that's freaking insane.

I'm intrigued, some of the effects look cool, some look quite unfinished or basic, which is understandable, as this is a trailer...

-Kol.

LEEBLEEB
12-20-2003, 02:09 AM
WOOO...Another film which uses too much cg and not enough storyline.:buttrock:

maybe explains why angelina jodie is in it.:rolleyes:

beaker
12-20-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by vfx fan
I saw the trailer when I saw "The Return of the King" the other day. I dunno, it kinda made me dizzy just looking at it. It seemed a few shots were strictly in black and white while others were more like the sepia shown in old silent films.

By the way, who's doing the fx for the film?
Yea, the movie was supposed to be B&W originally. They filmed the whole movie in B&W and then the execs got scared and they had to colorize the whole thing in post.

The company doing the fx was formed for the movie. It is called "World of Tomorrow".

For those people asking, yes the entire movie was filmed on Blue Screen.

Kricket
12-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Looks pretty cool, but then I like retro sci-fi.

Whats with the stargate music tho? And the enemy ships looked like they were taken from SG too.. except they flap their wings?:shrug:

Zeppelins, dogfights, giant robots, Angelina Jolie.. yea, I'm gonna see this one.

JulianHo
12-20-2003, 04:40 AM
Retro sci-fi is one of my favorite genre. :D Too bad there's not enough of them.

I'll definitely wait in line for this movie, no matter how bad it does at the box office. The fanboy in me just love the tribute to old Max Fleischer's Superman cartoons.

GRMac13
12-20-2003, 06:04 AM
I'm up for something different, and this film looks like just the ticket. It's great to see Hollywood taking a chance with a zany idea like this. I especially loved the LOOK of this trailer. Granted some of the shots seemed unfinished, but it still looks amazing. The "Iron Giant" characters were great (although I'm not too fond of the "flapping" fighters). It's cool to see they went for a more stylized look with the FX, rather than trying to get everything to look "photorealistic." I think this style work especially well for the FX which were obviously designed to look like they were produced by a 40's era film studio (or at least what a 40's era studio would produce if they had access to today's FX tools). Post-colorization was a great idea too, even if it was literally an afterthought. It really helps to sell the retro feel of the whole thing. I dont think it would have worked as well in B&W. IMO, the technicolor look is MUCH more interesting.

Got some high hopes for this one. Even if it sucks, I could sit back and watch Angelina's lips for DAYS.

Lunatique
12-20-2003, 07:20 AM
Wasn't there an article posted a while back about how the director used practically no locations for this film? It was all actors in front of the greenscreen, the rest are all CG.

quid
12-20-2003, 08:27 AM
Visually it sure looks interesting. It will be great to see on the big screen, that’s for sure. Personally I’m not a big fan of the throaty guy’s voice who speaks for what seems like every trailer these days… I can never remember his name. Does anyone else feel the same way? I think that they should have used an Orson Wells dubbed War of the Worlds crackled radio voice for this trailer.

Joe2003
12-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Lucas taught us the dangers of shooting nearly exclusively on bluescreen...

Um, no! Episode I & II weren't even close to be all shot on bluescreen. There are over 50 live sets built for each film, 5 real locactions/settings in each film, and more miniatures were used in each film than were used in any of the original Star Wars trilogy. So you aren't even close. A lot of CG? Sure, but nowhere near all bluescreen.

xzevlin
12-20-2003, 11:05 AM
That looked amazing! I just wish they hadn't used the Stargate music. It's been used in so many adventure movie trailers that it's lost all meaning for me.

EnergyMan
12-20-2003, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure, but I think it's the music from Final Fantasy:TSW
Took me a little while, but I knew I heard it somewhere. I think it's the music from the opening scene where she goes down to Earth. "Will I have enough time to save the Earth..." etc.

[edit] After seeing trailer, they used both... FF and Stargate... :rolleyes:

KingMob
12-20-2003, 07:58 PM
this is either going to be amazingly brilliant or totally lame.

I am hoping for amazingly brilliant.

It just needs a great original score to capture the vibe and this could be something really different and fun, I will check it out for the Robots with tentacle arms alone...I love those wiggly bastards.

I never liked the stargate score, so i felt a bit let down by the music, but i know its just a trailer.

bonecow
12-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Wow! I can't wait for this one. Just seems like a breath of fresh air. Reminds me a little like the game "Crimson Skies". The music/score style in that game would be perfect for something like this. Got my fingers crossed for this one.:buttrock:

jdates
12-21-2003, 12:49 AM
Holy cow. How could this movie been made under our noses? LOL.

I'm glad it did. It looks like as if the world of Iron Giant has been taken further!
I say more of it! Bring it on! Giant Robots? Sign me up! Completly CG except for the actors!? Sign me up.

I'm stoked. We can only hope the story is told as well as Iron Giant.

:D

Jdates
www.kungfukoi.com

Layer01
12-21-2003, 01:25 AM
yeah i have to agree, this movie just sorta came outa nowhere...but it looks like we're finally going to get a breath of fresh air in movie genres....i think it looks awesome, i LOVE retro sci-fi (dark city anyone :) ) and i hope this movie does well.

PhilOsirus
12-21-2003, 01:27 AM
It looks great and hopefully the CG and real actors will have been well merged as it seemed to be in the trailer, you know give the character some adjustment through post-production to make them blend in more with the comic-book-ish look of it all:) That's what I would do anyway.

Hopefully it will be fun to watch, you can't take the story too seriously either, so it should be a a fun ride with hopefully (if good) sequels to come with crazier stuff like sea battles and such, walking buildings and flying cities, maybe even set a few years later:D

gginther
12-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Layer 01
yeah i have to agree, this movie just sorta came outa nowhere..

well, not exactly out of nowhere; I remember seeing intrigueing scifi-related job posts for this on the VFX pro website a year or so ago. But I agree, the art style is very cool. Let's hope the story is good too! It looks fun. . . .

Pako
12-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by beaker
They filmed the whole movie in B&W and then the execs got scared and they had to colorize the whole thing in post.
(...)
For those people asking, yes the entire movie was filmed on Blue Screen.

err... if they filmed it in B&W... how could they use blue screens?? :eek:

Anyway... I loved the look of the trailer... :applause:

jdates
12-22-2003, 05:01 AM
>err... if they filmed it in B&W... how could they use blue screens??

LOL. I wasn't going to say anything... I'm glad someone else pointed this out.

Wherever they heard it was filmed in B/W was incorrect.:wip:

I joined the resistance at the website! I'm official now.

jdates
www.kungfukoi.com

Mr_Smee
12-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Just saw the trailer. Different for sure. It looks like it will be a "fun" movie. I will go see it for sure if it is anything like what we are seeing.

This appears to be a major undertaking with all the effects, animation etc. Should be interesting to see how it was all done.

I really like the look of it. Does remind me of the Crimson game that somebody mentioned. What was that movie Rocketeer?

PhilOsirus
12-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Ah Rocketer, the first best comic-book adaption to the movies. Still is great to watch. Hopefully this will be as good:)

ParableStudios
12-22-2003, 06:02 PM
Did any of you notice the Stargate SG-1 Theme Music playing in the backround?

Regards,
Alex Haxton
Parable Studios

anieves
12-22-2003, 06:36 PM
after watching the trailer I inmediately knew I wanted to watch it. Love the retro look. The film is diferent and it looks like alot of fun. I'm looking forward to it.

and for the cheese factor.... it's meant to be that way.

anybody seen this (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/lost_skeleton/)

every scifi film had cheesy fx a while back...

BNicolucci
12-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Oh man, "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" movie looks like a blast. I anxiously await seeing a film shown in Skeltorama!

slaughters
12-23-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Pako
err... if they filmed it in B&W... how could they use blue screens?? :eek:The answere is obvious. The "B" in B&W stands for "Blue" :)

Got to agree that I love what I have seen so far.

Gentle Fury
12-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Lunatique
Wasn't there an article posted a while back about how the director used practically no locations for this film? It was all actors in front of the greenscreen, the rest are all CG.

Yes!! I've been waiting to actually see some footage of this one......the only set pieces of the whole movie are things like, the airplane cockpit, tables, chairs.......everything else is CG (other than the actors) This one is gonna be fun!

Pibonne Zuntata
12-24-2003, 03:24 AM
this is looking great, the retro look and all.
very nice

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.