PDA

View Full Version : CAR door..topology

ivo D
12-16-2003, 05:54 PM
so here i have made my first part.. the door, as you can see it has a sharp inword going part.. that will flow into a air tube.. for the back wheel..

but it aint sharp.. and it makes the mesh pinch.. i tryed to keep 4 sided polys.. and as little polys as possible ,caus the door goes kindah round.. so with to much lines...

i dont know how to get this right , when i make it compacter, and use some more lines, than the curve of the door wont be right.. and than i cant get my curve back.. i just get a horizontal line in my door, and cant get it out.. than..

so this is the best i came up with but it aint good enough either..

any suggestions?

Marcel
12-16-2003, 06:38 PM
If you want a sharp edge you need to add an extra edge in the low poly shape. You should try out how the smoothing reacts to placing edges close together.

If you happen to use Maya and Connect Poly Shape then see if the shell merge distance isn't set to a too small value (which will merge edges that are close together)

ivo D
12-16-2003, 07:40 PM
i know.. how closer edges how sharper.

..but if i didnt make that kindah triangle shape at the end, than i would have 2 lines close together.. that would make a sharp line over my nicely curved body of the door.. it aint tweakable to make it round, just because density difference is to big when smoothed

RamboSambo
12-19-2003, 05:22 AM
have you tried cutting the entire door so you have twoi extra lines accross the dorr, it might be easier to tweak then.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.