PDA

View Full Version : screen resolution

DuttyFoot
12-16-2003, 05:22 PM
is it true that the larger the screen resolution the more memory is used....for example if i have a screen resolution of 1280x1024 how much mem does that take.....someone told me that and im not sure how true it is...would it be enough mem to hinder other programs that do require a lot of mem...like maya, max.....etc

singularity2006
12-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Eh.... if ur using CG applications for it, having a high resolution is nearly an absolute must. From my reasoning, of course it'll take up more video card resources to output so much more pixel data onto a screen the larger the screen resolution but with the power of video cards and the nature of the output, I don't think you'll notice a difference. If ur experiencing refresh problems, I would try checking your video card settings, making sure u have the latest drivers and also check your monitor's refresh rate to see what it's @. It should be at something higher than 60Hz.

Anyhow, I definitely wouldn't recommend using low screen resolutions unless you are willing to scroll back and forth to work on your 1200 x 1600 CG document.

stephen2002
12-16-2003, 06:15 PM
The higher the resolution the more memory is taken up on the graphics card for the frame/depth buffers. This is an old article about frame buffer memory usage but the information is still relevant:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/video/modesBuffer-c.html

More info about what the on-board memory actually gets used for:

http://www.tech-report.com/etc/2002q3/graphicsmem/index.x?pg=1

DuttyFoot
12-16-2003, 07:09 PM
thanks for the info fellas....i was in a screen resolution of 1280x1024 and a friend of mine told me that it uses more mem when in a higher resolution, so i switched to 1024x768 without thinking that it couldnt take that much mem. my vid card is a quadro 750xgl with 128mb of ram on it...i have no vid card issues...

singularity2006
12-16-2003, 07:37 PM
assuming u have no vid card problems, I see no reason to need to switch to a lower rez.... it's painful working on large dimension files or multitasking with small screen resolutions. And w/ 128MB of RAM, I don't think u should even worry about memory. Heh, if anything, go to 640x480 before u render to free up those last few MB.

stephen2002
12-16-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by singularity2006
Heh, if anything, go to 640x480 before u render to free up those last few MB.

That will make absolutly no difference as the memory being used for the frame buffer is on the graphics card, not your system memory.

DaForce
12-16-2003, 11:43 PM
In short, running at a higher resolution does use up more video card memory, not system memory. If it makes a difference it will only mean that your view ports are a fraction slower when displaying high amounts of polys, but this is out weighed by the greater desktop area which is a must for 3d app work. Running at a high res will not affect the render times as it doesnt not use up any of the system memory, which is what is used at render time.

DuttyFoot
12-17-2003, 02:36 AM
thanks for the tips fellas...you guys checking out dinosaur planet on discovery...cg dinosaurs...looks pretty good

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.