PDA

View Full Version : Soft Quadro users Unite.

NUKE-CG
12-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Hi,

Looking back at before I formatted my computer, a few months ago, I was happy with my softQuadro'ed GeForce 4 Ti4200-128mb which was running happily as a Quadro 700XGL, ahhh memories.. :love:

Now, a few weeks after the format, I thought I'd go ahead and reinstall the SoftQuadro patch to enable the pleasant nature that Maya was in.

I've tried a lot of drivers, and each has their pitfalls in conjunction with Maya, missing context menus in the second monitor, offset menus in both monitors, one dropped my performance to a crawl.

30.82/43.51/40.53 plus other ones here and there, disabling the Maximise contraints (to stop windows panning onto both monitors) seems to fix some things, but I like that feature ;\

Requirements:
Geforce 4
Working SoftQuadro
Dual monitor setup + Enable Window spanning DISABLED

Come forth and inform me of your driver version, or fix you found paaleezzz :)

muckywetnoodle
12-16-2003, 04:15 PM
I'm using softquadro with the 41.03 drivers on a GF4 and it works peachy. It runs as a 750 XGL, nview works and all my 3d stuff works. I tried several patch scripts and drivers going backwards untill I found one that worked with everything.

Houkah
12-16-2003, 10:00 PM
I have an old geforce2 GTS pro, and i was using softquadro before. But with the most recent drivers from nvidia i actually get better performance without the softquadro patch. All of my overlay problems were fixed as well (originally the geforce2 gts had problems w/ paintfx due to hardware overlay being disabled). So try it with and without the softquadro.

KOlson
12-16-2003, 11:46 PM
Been wanting to try this softquadro on my GF4 Ti4600 but the lack of documention has left me still wishing.... :cry:

visualboo
12-17-2003, 12:17 AM
I have the exact setup as mucky's wet noodle ;) except mine hacks into a 900 XGL.

Gainward GF4 TI4600 btw.

I'm not sure about how others perform but mine hauls ass. Now if they would just release the maxtreme drivers for max 6 I'd be set.

KOlson
12-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Are you guys runnin XP? I'm Desperatly trying to find the correct steps that I need to do this so it works.... im going nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

muckywetnoodle
12-17-2003, 07:01 AM
I'm using 2000 but the process should be similar. Did you follow these instructions?
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/softquadro/index1.shtml

Been a while since I've done this so be sure to make use of the reference.

-You first download and install Rivatuner. Download the softQuadro patch. Download whatever nvidia driver versions you may want to use (check the Rivatuner > Drivers directory to see what drivers are supported.

-right click on the detonator installer and select "extract"

-copy the Rivatuner > Patchscripts > SoftQuadro4 w2k.rts to the directory where you unpacked the detonator drivers then double click it to run. Also unzip the Nvstrap patchscript to the rivatuner directory (should show up afterwards in Patchscripts > Nvidia)

-start Rivatuner and under the "Main" tab, click the arrow on the top box where it shows your card model and select the graphics card icon (customize low level settings).

-click on the far right tab for "Nvstrap Driver") and install the Nvstrap patch

-I believe this is where you restart

-you should be prompted to install drivers when you reboot since windows should see a Quadro 4 card now. Install the drivers you ran the patch script in earlier.

Somewhere along the way you also have to install the database in Rivatuner for the driver version you are using but I forget when you do this. It's under "Power User" and click the folder icon for "Load Database" and load the database for your driver version.

Boo-haha, I had the 900 running at some point but it didn't work with everything. :(

KOlson
12-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks!! it worked.. I think... :) Says Quadro 900 XL

Xoch
12-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Using a Geforce 3 with patched drivers 40.72. I should probably update but if it aint broke, I don't fix it.

When I want to play a game I just switch to the latest detonators.

NUKE-CG
12-17-2003, 12:58 PM
I shall try the 41.03's in the morning, cheers Mucky.
Might have some money to upgrade it soon, really struggling on my newer scenes, will probably stick with Nvidia, except if that Soft-FireGL ramps the OpenGL performance to compete with the FX

BadMange
12-18-2003, 03:12 AM
I'm using 41.03 drivers as well, on a Gainward GF4 Ti4200 128MB patched to a 750XGL. You may want to give UltraMon a try. Check it out HERE (http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/). It's a dual-monitor tool that works much better than nVidia's DualView/TwinView, IMO. I haven't found a fix for the RMB always being on Monitor 1, which annoys me to no end.

You might want to search the forums at Guru 3d (http://www.guru3d.com). There's a section just for RivaTuner.

-Bad Mange

MunCHeR
12-18-2003, 07:04 AM
Guys I'm having a little bit of trouble installing the 41.03 detonators, I have an ASUS GeForce4 Ti 4200 128Mb, let me see if i've got it right:
first off i remove old drivers=> reboot & install 41.03 detonators(in say C:\ProgramFiles\Nvidia) reboot again install rivatuner then copy SoftQuadro4 w2k.rts into the above folder, double click to run it(when I do this there is no drop down menu and when i click on continue its looking to patch nv4_mini.sys but when i point it to the right folder it doesnt see any files and they are not hidden in folder options)

Then i copy NVStrap antiprotection w2k.rts from C:\Program Files\RivaTuner\PatchScripts\NVIDIA to C:\Program Files\RivaTuner\ this is as far as i have gotten because nothing is going right.Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? BTW I'm using windows 2k with SP4
Thanks for your time

MunCH

BadMange
12-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Did you read through the instructions first? (see the link to guru3d.com that muckywetnoodle posted above). You uncompress, not install the Detonator drivers. Then install RivaTuner, use the unpack.bat file to unpack the Det drivers, follow RivaTuner instructions for patching the drivers, and then install Det drivers LAST.

-Bad Mange

MunCHeR
12-19-2003, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the reply BadMange and yes i did read the instructions if you could call them that. I had another go lat night with a bit more luck but i still dont get a drop down list in which to choose which quadro i'd like to emulate.

Just FYI i found some better instructions here:

http://www.nvworld.ru/docs/sq4e.html

and a very interesting statement

quote:

Attention! It is very important that starting from Detonator 30.82 any driver has to be installed manually by using the *.inf file. Starting Setup.exe installer will result in unpacking and installing original driver.

Cheers

MunCH

MunCHeR
12-19-2003, 02:29 PM
guys thanks for the tips i got it working, tried the 41.03 detonators but it said that the OS was to new or something so i tried the 42.51 drivers and they worked fine.My desktop properties still display GeForce 4 Ti 4200 and hardware properties say that the display adapter days Quadro4 780 XGL. The good news is the hypershade is about 100x faster though the right click menus dont show up on the 2nd monitor:surprised
and something really odd is happening with the viewports, if i maximise a viewport it takes like 60 seconds to refresh which is a pain however if i minimise/maximise maya it goes back to normal, though i cant keep working like this! Has anyone had a similar problem, this only started when i installed the new 53.03 detonators which i have deleted:buttrock:

NUKECG did you sort out your issue?

Cheers

MunCH

visualboo
12-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Na, your installation is bad. Try again. If you see gforce ti4600 anywhere besides the POST screen it didn't work. You should see it in the Device Manager and the Display Properties>Settings tab

Attention! It is very important that starting from Detonator 30.82 any driver has to be installed manually by using the *.inf file. Starting Setup.exe installer will result in unpacking and installing original driver.
The reason for this is picture the exe like it's a zip file. When you install a exe it unzips all the files inside to a temp folder then installs. If you unzip the file manually you get a bunch of files (yes the same ones that I was talking about before that go into a temp folder). If you tweak some of those files then use the exe to install it, it will use "fresh" files from the temp folder and not the ones you tweaked. Which is why if you manually install with the .inf it uses the files at hand, instead of unzipping new/fresh ones. Gah, I think I confused myself :D

but i still dont get a drop down list in which to choose which quadro i'd like to emulate.
And you wont get that because it doesn't exist. If you have a ti4600 it will hack into a 900 XGL if you have a ti4200 it will hack into a 750 XGL. I'm not sure about the other ti's

MunCHeR
12-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Damn that sucks, thanks for the info visualboo, the dropdown list is in the instructions @ http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/softquadro/index2.shtml

I dont think these instructions are very clear, atleast for someone new to the process. The instructions say "You won't notice 'Quadro' in your drivers anywhere" but rivatuner says that it is a quadro. By the way does it matter if you have newer drivers installed when i do the patch, coz i did that as well as delete the drivers, reboot and then do the patch, which didnt work:shrug:

Cheers

MunCH

BadMange
12-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Yes, the dropdown menu definitely exists in RivaTuner. I have a 128MB Ti4200 card that SoftQ's to a 700XL, which is a 64MB Quadro card. I manually changed this setting to Custom>750XGL (128MB Quadro card).

In the "Main" tab, click the fly-out menu and click the graphics card icon (customize low-level system settings). Under the NVStrap tab, the drop-down menu is in the PCI DeviceID settings. If it's simply not there, you either don't have the latest Riva Tuner version, or something is screwed up with your install.

I've attached instructions for completely removing the Det. drivers, I suggest you try it and reinstall using 41.03 drivers. Lots of people have recommended them.

Still no fix yet for the RMB menu problem... :(

-Bad Mange

TomD
12-20-2003, 07:03 AM
Damn interesting thread :D

My question is then. What gaming card could you convert then to a fully Maya supported Quadro card?

Graphics cards and Maya Hardware Renderer (http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_50_HWR.html)

visualboo
12-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by TomD
Damn interesting thread :D

My question is then. What gaming card could you convert then to a fully Maya supported Quadro card?

Graphics cards and Maya Hardware Renderer (http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_50_HWR.html)
You will never see the words... Convert and Fully Maya Supported in the same sentence. Alias (or any of the major players) do not support hacked cards so basically your on your own when you hack'em.

Btw, you guys are posting directions for the old softquadro (for gforce 2-3). The dang site is down now but look for Softquadro4 instead.

If your talking about a dropdown in rivatuner, yes there is a dropdown but it doesn't let you "select" which card to hack into. Mine just says the card that it currently see's... Quadro4 900 XGL.
Btw, I'm using Rivatuner2 RC12. I know it's not the newest release but everything works great.

BadMange
12-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Visualboo, the drop-down menu lets you select which Quadro your GF card is hacked to. The Ti4200 is default hacked to a 700xgl, so I used the "custom" menu to select 750xgl because my card and the 750 have 128mb RAM. Go ahead and select the 980xgl and apply the change. Your system will restart and reinstall the Det drivers and reboot once more. And then your card will read as a 980xgl to your system. If you change the setting back to a 900, your computer will again reinstall the drivers and the system will read 900xgl after a reboot.

And yes, check out the SoftQuadro4 instructions, as the other is for GF2-3.

-Bad Mange

MunCHeR
12-20-2003, 04:24 PM
Guys the drop down menu i was talking about was whn i was double clicking the scripts not from within rivatuner which displays my GF4 Ti 4200 128Mb card as NVIDIA Quadro4 780 GXL sorry for the confusion, took me a few goes to do it right.:shrug:

Thanks for the help, definately a boost in performance

Cheers

MunCH

OC-NightHawk
12-21-2003, 12:03 AM
Oh man this rocks! :drool: I'm stuck on a modem for the winter but you can bet I'm downloading all of the stuff listed at this site "http://nvworld.ru/docs/sq4e.html".

Edit: It worked like a charm. This rocks the OpenGL driver for Max rocks. I can finally see the edges correctly without the flicker. This is really going to help out. However things run a bit slower now that its a Quadro4 XGL 900. I have discovered that its probably slower because I, a) set the OpenGL driver settings in regards to quality instead of speed and b)I have a Ti4660 A2 instead of an A3. The A2 lacks hardware edge accleration. :shrug: Oh well I'll make the trade off for a easier to see view pane any day. I also quickly tested out my Direct3D project to see how the frame rate held up. With the card as a GeForce I got 65 fps, but as a Quadro I got 60 fps. Thats not too big of deal imo since I don't really have much time to play games while classes are in session. :thumbsup: I am so glad I saw this topic.:)

Edit Edit: I just thought of another possible explanation for the slow down. It could be from going from the latest drivers (The FX ones) to 41.03. Is there a way to install the newer drivers while keeping the quadro features?

One last edit. I discovered that the new riva tuner release canidate comes with another patch for the NV25 A2 cores that enables harware line AA. So I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the tweaked driver again. Now the performance is back up to where it was when it was a GF4Ti4600, but with the nice crisp display of the OpenGL drivers for the quadro. This just keeps getting better and better. In fact the riva tuner app looks like it may also have whats needed to softmod a GFFX into QuadroFX. The version I have is Riva Tuner 2.0 RC 14.2 if anybody is interested in confirming this. If this is true I may just get myself a FX and get myself some CG action and DX9 support.

neutronrobot
01-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Could someone please explain further how to extract the driver with the unpack driver script? I downloaded the 41.03 exe file and have the unpack driver bat file in the same folder. When I run the bat file nothing seems to happen. I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks.

t-man152
01-03-2004, 06:43 AM
I tried the soft quadro with my geforce fx 5200 but the screen fliquers. every 3 seconds it turns to complete black and then back on. its only a fraction of a second but it hapens every 3 seconds.

it does this when I start maya and then it doesnt go away even when I exit maya. it stops only when I restart my computer.

needless to say I uninstalled it right away. too bad it would have been cool

CIM
01-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by t-man152
I tried the soft quadro with my geforce fx 5200 but the screen fliquers. every 3 seconds it turns to complete black and then back on. its only a fraction of a second but it hapens every 3 seconds.

it does this when I start maya and then it doesnt go away even when I exit maya. it stops only when I restart my computer.

needless to say I uninstalled it right away. too bad it would have been cool

Uh, there isn't a softquadro for GeForce FX cards yet. :rolleyes:

t-man152
01-03-2004, 07:48 AM
I had a friend who got it to work. I got it from him and I did it but it made the problem. he basically has the same card as I did. it even showed up on my computer as a quadro fx 500

neutronrobot
01-03-2004, 04:13 PM
I just softquadro(ed) my Ti4800SE into a Quadro 780 XGL. Everything seems to be working fine, the cards identified as a Quadro, etc. When I tried to install the Maxtreme drivers though,
I received a message that read "no nvidia workstation card installed".
On my old system I softquadroed a geforce2 mx400 card with no problem and could run the Maxtreme drivers. Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

MunCHeR
01-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Well i'm not sure what maxtreme drivers are but in your desktop properties you can optimise your open GL settings for your particular application. Would probably work better to just use nvidia drivers with softquadro rather than a driver for elsa workstation cards, softquadro just makes your OS thing you have a highend graphics card, and you're installing drivers for a highend card?? Is that what you mean?

MunCH

neutronrobot
01-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Matreme was developed for ELSA cards, but basically they're just a custom software driver selectable within 3dsMax. It seems to speed up things in Max quite a bit.

I also noticed when I softquadroed my card, I have all the advanced card settings for the Quadro, but I have no applications listed when I go to the OpenGL settings pull down(3dsMax, Lightwave,etc.). Is this only included in certain driver versions?

MunCHeR
01-04-2004, 05:26 AM
Not sure about that one I'm using 41.03 because they were recommended in this thread, that could be it?

MunCH

loop29
01-05-2004, 03:25 PM
First Iīm using 41.09 and itīs working flawlessly on a Athlon XP 1800+ and WinXP Pro installation. I tried 42.51 which is the latest driver supported by softquadro 4 scripts, but had problems with icons on desktop not properly displayed. However, for everyone who gets problems some clarifications on the subject. For GF 4 to Quadro 4 you will need 2 scripts, NVstrapantiprotection and softquadro4. This for me is the shortest way to install Quadro 4: You got GF drivers installed, install latest Rivatuner and unpack the driver you want to patch in a folder outside the windows installation folder. Patch with the mentioned scripts out of Rivatuner in the Power User menu. Reopen Rivatuner and install nvstrap and choose "force quadro", it will overwrite the PCIdeviceID on next boot with the PCIdeviceID of Quadro brethren of your Geforce card, donīt let it reboot yet. Uninstall recent driver and then reboot. Back in Windows you should make sure that Windows doesnīt reinstall the latest driver, then choose manual install and point it to the patched file in the folder, it should now diplay the appropriate adapter for installation, for example Quadro 900 XGL if you have a Ti 4600 in the list for available hardware. Let it install and reboot.

There is a way to change GF FX to Quadro FX, it can be done on a range of drivers from 44.xx to 45.xx, reason is non working nvstrap antiprotection for GF FX cards in these drivers, however 50.xx and up have another protection system for nvstrap so it will not work with these drivers. Read the forums at Guru3d for detailed description how to make it work on GF 5900 and 5800. Another thing is that a 5800 will turn to a full Quadro 2000 and a 5900 to a Quadro 3000 with the same exceptions like the Geforce 4 had when softquadroed, no 2 sided lightning and hardware AA lines. This is not the case for the 5800, this baby will give you 2 sided lightning and hardware AA lines, hard mod is possible too (resistor shift), I believe that a hardmodded card will work too with the 50.xx and up drivers.

And the guy with accelerated lines patch applied: this will only work or increase the performance if you have Revision A2 on your board, it will do nothing to a Revision A3 chip.

regards

rocarpen
01-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by CIM
Uh, there isn't a softquadro for GeForce FX cards yet. :rolleyes:

Stupendously incorrect statement.

There's hordes of folks over at Guru3D who have modded their GeForce FX's into Quadro's just fine. As Loop29 states, 5800's mod perfectly, 5900's you don't get hardware anti-aliased lines or two-sided lighting, but otherwise everything's gravy.

My PNY Verto GeForce FX 5900 is in the mail, and you can be sure I'll be modding it the second it's in my case.

OC-NightHawk
01-15-2004, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by neutronrobot
I just softquadro(ed) my Ti4800SE into a Quadro 780 XGL. Everything seems to be working fine, the cards identified as a Quadro, etc. When I tried to install the Maxtreme drivers though,
I received a message that read "no nvidia workstation card installed".
On my old system I softquadroed a geforce2 mx400 card with no problem and could run the Maxtreme drivers. Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

Where did you find the maxtreme drivers? These are leagaly free right or at least cheap?

fufanu
01-15-2004, 05:12 AM
you can find the maxtreme drivers here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/maxtreme_4.00.29.html
just be aware they don't work for max6 yet :hmm:

neutronrobot
01-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Unfortunately, I found out that the Maxtreme drivers will only work with softquadroed Geforce1 & 2 cards. Modified Geforce 3 & 4 cards are locked out.

If I had known this a month ago when I was putting together my system, I would have spent an extra $100 and bought a low-end Quadro instead of a Geforce4.

I was able to do the softquadro hack and run it as a Quadro 4 750 XGL , but without using the Maxtreme drivers I didn't notice any improvement over running it as a Geforce4 with the newest Nvidia drivers (in Max).

CgFX
01-15-2004, 02:06 PM
GeForce3 should work since it is the same chip as Quadro DCC with parts turned off by the PCI ID.

GeForce4 and GeForce FX are different chips from Quadro 4 and Quadro FX so they will continue to have issues related to using cracking tools.

fufanu
01-15-2004, 03:14 PM
the maxtreme drivers work fine with a softquadro Geforce 3. I softquadroed a Geforce 3 TI 500 into a Quadro DCC, works great :thumbsup:

Wild
08-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi, i softmod my Gainward FX5900xt to Quadro FX3000 and it works very well.

Before soft mod

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 12.75

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 51.35

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 44.45

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 12.13

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 18.51

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
ugs-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 8.12

AFTER softmod

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 24.01

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 141.4

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 127.2

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 29.12

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 39.02

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
ugs-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 42.66

I think probably is not a REAL quadro, but it works!, think this videoboard is ten times more cheap than a real quadro...

OC-NightHawk
08-20-2004, 07:29 AM
The maxtreme drivers for Max6 work fine with GF ti 4600 as a 900xgl.

adren@line
08-20-2004, 10:08 AM
hey WILD,

can you post the exact steps you did to soft quadro your 5900xt?

I have a 5900xt as well (made by BFG), but I cant get my UGS as high as yours.

Wild
08-20-2004, 01:14 PM
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91686&perpage=40&highlight=quadro&pagenumber=1

See this threar, there is all information that you will need to make the softmod.

BTW: see the benchmarks of the other videocards
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/profcards/svp71-11-2003.html

adren@line
08-20-2004, 09:22 PM
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91686&perpage=40&highlight=quadro&pagenumber=1

See this threar, there is all information that you will need to make the softmod.

BTW: see the benchmarks of the other videocards
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/profcards/svp71-11-2003.html
hey man, thanks.

Ive been through that thread, but its soo damn big I cant find the exact steps.

Lord Banshee
08-20-2004, 11:38 PM
hey WILD,

can you post the exact steps you did to soft quadro your 5900xt?

I have a 5900xt as well (made by BFG), but I cant get my UGS as high as yours.
If your UGS score isn't good then you have to hard mod your Card. I can not belieave you did it wrong if your card get just as fast in all other scores. I know that the three evga 5900xt i tired all got high UGS score.

trthing
09-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Did anybody try it with the 5950Ultra?

maxrelics
09-21-2004, 03:17 AM
I thought discussion of softquadro on this board was banned a long time ago

Lord Banshee
09-21-2004, 12:45 PM
I thought discussion of softquadro on this board was banned a long time ago
Why would this be the case. I don't see the difference from playing with the air/fuel/timing on your car engine/ecu and doing softquadro on your video card. It is a risk for you because you lose the warrenty and people doing the mod will never have the money to buy a real quadro anyway so Nvidia isn't loseing any direct profit.

Well thats how i see it.

plastic
09-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Lord Banshee,

your arguments apply to warez too.
i also wonder why this thread survived for so long.
since this is a "professional" forum, as i was assured. :D

maxrelics
09-21-2004, 02:14 PM
I specifically remeber reading a sticky about softquadro discussions being banned.

Lord Banshee
09-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Lord Banshee,

since this is a "professional" forum, as i was assured. :D

I guess i could see your point but unlike warez, you are using and modifing hardware one has already bought...

For for the sake of the the forum no more about it from me :shrug:

loop29
09-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Lord Banshee,

since this is a "professional" forum, as i was assured. :D#

Does using softquadro disqualify one from being a professional?
Being a developer and mechanical engineer in the field for laser applications doesnīt make me always asking anyone if he is a professional, I do my stuff like all other people. At home Iīm using SQ and I know that some guys in my company use it at their workplace and it serves them perfect to get that stupid CAD program running stable. If that isnīt a step forward into being a preofessional....?
I donīt know why people still pop up here and there and comparing SQ with warez, but I guess itīs kinda similar with the world not running out of stupid people. It feels more like itīs increasing all the time.

regards

loop29
09-21-2004, 02:49 PM
I specifically remeber reading a sticky about softquadro discussions being banned.
You were obviously wrong since you have posted in a thread with the title softquadro users unite and itīs not closed. Only users can be banned.

have a nice day

plastic
09-21-2004, 02:54 PM
#
Does using softquadro disqualify one from being a professional?
well i'm on your side ;)
the word "professional" is quite over- and misused here.
i like to make fun of it, but sarcasm doesn't always work with text.

plastic
09-21-2004, 03:07 PM
is softquadro warez?
softquadro is a driver patch/crack...not illegal in russia.
but i have the feeling that if "unwinder" ever visits the usa, something like that might happen to him:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2001-07-17-russian-hacker.htm
http://www.asianlaws.org/cyberlaw/archives/10_02_russian.htm

just because graphic cards are mainly hardware, it doesn't give you more rights to modify the software, or unlock potential that is otherwise sold seperately.
in the usa a <sarcasm>nice</sarcasm> new law covers that stuff:
http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/iclp/dmca1.htm

personally i don't give a shit of course. i'm a happy user of softquadro4 at home, although i prefer using real quadro cards because of stability and driver issues.

trthing
09-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Jeez, guys...

I only assumed it was allright to post because this was an old thread and was still open.

By the way, it is kind of funny to see all this reaction regarding tweaking drivers. I guess some of you never been to any lab before, right?

Yeah, yeah... it is illegal... sure...

Anyway, let the mods have the last word.

Cheers

BadMange
09-21-2004, 03:21 PM
This legality debate needs to be in a thread of it's own, as it is painfully obvious that some people here are not "uniting" as the thread title requests. Instead of butting heads about this issue, why not put up or shut up. If "SoftQuadro" threads upset you, email/PM a mod and let them decide. If the thread gets locked and a "Banned" sticky appears, so be it. If these topics stay, then please post somewhere else. These posts have nothing to do with this thread, so let's get back to the topic at hand, shall we?

Rant off,
-Bad Mange

loop29
09-21-2004, 05:17 PM
well i'm on your side ;)
the word "professional" is quite over- and misused here.
i like to make fun of it, but sarcasm doesn't always work with text.
I apologize, I didnīt noticed the sarcasm in it :D

You have a point, since the code was changed in the driver it touches the issue of reverse engineering. But as we are all happy campers in one way or the other we should go on with the unification, darn Unwinder.... why didnīt he made a SoftquadroFX, that would have brought me back in quadro haven, but NO itīs about enabling pipes and vertex units which is only good if you have spend the tremendous cash for a 6800...bah :)

regards

elvis
09-22-2004, 10:13 AM
No, it was never banned. People like myself got the shits with answering the same question 30 times a day and asked others to use the search button (sometimes not so politely). Although I see today we have 8 "which CPU is better?" and another 12 "which video card is better?" threads here, so people don't change much year to year, just the subject of question.

At any rate, softquadro is directly against the EULA of the nvidia drivers. As such, Nvidia are free to not support softquadro users. Whether it is "illegal" or not is up to fatcat lawyers to battle out, I feel. Personally speaking, I don't bother with it and just buy real quadro hardware. It's one tenth the grief and you make the money back on a the next job anyway.

mummey
09-22-2004, 10:49 AM
I think its pretty grey until nVidia begins to add seom form of DRM to their drivers. I don't mean to incinuate that they will ever DRM to them. I'm only state this because if they did then SoftQuadro could be considered to violate the DMCA in that instance.

-b

c-g
09-22-2004, 12:06 PM
If the thread gets locked and a "Banned" sticky appears, so be it.
Any overclocking of hardware should be forbidden too then. It isn't at all like warez unless you steal the video card from a store to tweak the drivers.

Now, has anyone had problems un softquadro'ing their card?

maxrelics
09-22-2004, 05:40 PM
You were obviously wrong since you have posted in a thread with the title softquadro users unite and itīs not closed. Only users can be banned.

have a nice day dude, don't be a jerk. I'm just saying what I remember. I'm not "obviously wrong" about anything. I was just making a comment. I you want my opinion about it soft quadro, I think it's awesome. The fact that someone figured this out is really cool.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.